Heroic Marine who deserves the CMOH is also an immigrant

Comrade

Jan 9, 2004
Seattle, WA.
http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/image1.nsf/lookup/2004122141540?opendocument

Stories like these make my heart swell with appreciation for such people.

PERALTA001lo.jpg

Sgt. Rafael Peralta, 25, was a platoon scout, which meant he could have stayed back in safety while the squads of 1st Platoon went into the danger filled streets, but he was constantly asking to help out by giving them an extra Marine. I learned by speaking with him and other Marines the night before that he frequently put his safety, reputation and career on the line for the needs and morale of the junior Marines around him. A Mexican-American who lived in San Diego, Peralta earned his citizenship after he joined the Marine Corps. In an act living up to the heroes of the Marine Corps’ past, such as Medal of Honor recipients Pfc. James LaBelle and Lance Cpl. Richard Anderson, Peralta – in his last fleeting moments of consciousness- reached out and pulled the grenade into his body. LaBelle fought on Iwo Jima and Anderson in Vietnam, both died saving their fellow Marines by smothering the blast of enemy grenades. His selflessness left four other Marines with only minor injuries from smaller fragments of the grenade.

wow.

very...wow.

:usa:

My God receive you well, Sergeant.

"Greater love has no man, than he lay down his life for his friends"

09-USMC.gif

halfstaff.jpg

Damn, just think what he could have done with his life had he lived. I hate it when we lose another.

At the fourth house they encountered that morning, the Marines kicked in the door and "cleared" the front rooms, but then noticed a locked door off to the side that required inspection. Peralta threw open the closed door, but behind it were three terrorists with AK-47s. Peralta was hit in the head and chest with multiple shots at close range.

Peralta's fellow Marines had to step over his body to continue the shootout with the terrorists. As the firefight raged on, a "yellow, foreign-made, oval-shaped grenade," as Lance Cpl. Travis Kaemmerer described it, rolled into the room where they were all standing and came to a stop near Peralta's body.

But Sgt. Rafael Peralta wasn't dead -- yet. This young immigrant of 25 years, who enlisted in the Marines when he received his green card, who volunteered for the front line duty in Fallujah, had one last act of heroism in him.

In his parent's home, on his bedroom walls hung only three items -- a copy of the United States Constitution, the Bill of Rights and his boot camp graduation certificate. Before he set out for Fallujah, he wrote to his 14-year-old brother, "Be proud of me, bro ... and be proud of being an American."

http://www.townhall.com/columnists/ollienorth/on20041217.shtml

my father said the first kind thing he's ever mouthed about ollie north after reading that article i e-mailed him using your link.. thank you

also want to mention that after e-mailing that to several friends of mine who are proud opponents of the war, 5 of the 6 wrote back in the vein of "why don't we hear more about guys like this?"

way to go mass media

Forum List

Back