Herman Cain Wins Florida Straw Poll

He voted for the original version that failed; voted against the final version based on his commitment to States Rights. He got the vote of the Southern Democrats because of it; lost the vote of many Republicans and Northern Democrats because of it. But then Ron Paul says he also would have opposed it on the same grounds. Senator Robert Byrd led the Senate filibuster against it both times, but not for reasons of States Rights. :)

The Tea Party however does not get into any social issues and either way would not be a deal breaker for them.

The Tea Party doesn't get into social issues??

lol, name the Tea Party candidates or elected officials that are pro-choice on abortion.

Abortion is not on their agenda. The agenda is:

Protect the Constitution
Reject Cap & Trade
Demand a balanced budget
Enact fundamental tax reform
Fiscal responsibility & Constitutionally limited government
End runaway government spending
Defund, repeal and replace ObamaCare
'All of the above' energy plan
Stop the pork
Stop the tax hikes

See abortion on that? No. Why? Because it's not on there.

idiot.

so it has to be in writing? given that there's no such "party" as the tea party and they are REPUBLICANS... EXTREME RIGHTWING REPUBLICANS... they share the REPUBLICAN PLATFORM.

i guess michelle bachmann didn't get the memo about reproductive choice not being part of her agenda. :thup:

lol, name the Tea Party candidates or elected officials that are pro-choice on abortion.

Protect the Constitution
Reject Cap & Trade
Demand a balanced budget
Stop the pork
Stop the tax hikes

idiot.

so it has to be in writing? given that there's no such "party" as the tea party and they are REPUBLICANS... EXTREME RIGHTWING REPUBLICANS... they share the REPUBLICAN PLATFORM.

i guess michelle bachmann didn't get the memo about reproductive choice not being part of her agenda. :thup:

Those are the agreed points for TEA Partiers. It may, however, shock you to discover that - perhaps unlike liberals - they are individuals and each has their own views on social issues.

Protect the Constitution
Reject Cap & Trade
Demand a balanced budget
Stop the pork
Stop the tax hikes

idiot.

Those are the agreed points for TEA Partiers. It may, however, shock you to discover that - perhaps unlike liberals - they are individuals and each has their own views on social issues.

do we need to go and find every statement written by them on the issue of reproductive choice?

yeah... i know they like to say that. but it's no one really believes it (though tea extremists like saying it... as they shriek about their anti-choice platforms).

from a year ago... points out how disingenuous it is for tea people to say they don't involve in social issues:

The Alaska election results underscore the extent to which the Tea Party movement and its candidates—strongly anti-abortion rights politicians such as Miller, Sharron Angle in Nevada, Marco Rubio in Florida, Rand Paul in Kentucky, and Ken Buck in Colorado—have come to be affiliated with Christian conservative ideals, even as Tea Party organizers say they have little interest in social issues.

Tea Party Express spokesman William Owens, a prominent Christian conservative with a history of pro-life activism, said Wednesday in an interview with The Daily Beast that the group steers clear of abortion because it wants to “focus on the most important things. The whole thrust of the Tea Party movement came out of fiscal irresponsibility and government overextending itself.”

But Miller, who received more than $550,000 in donations and on-the-ground support from the California-based Tea Party Express and frequently tweeted about his Tea Party affiliation, made his antiabortion stance a central part of the Alaska Senate primary. In June, he sent a fundraising letter to “pro-life supporters” criticizing Murkowski’s support for Roe v. Wade and stem-cell research, as well as her opposition to the “Mexico City Policy,” which under President George W. Bush prevented American foreign aid dollars from funding abortion services. (President Obama repealed the policy, also known as “Global Gag Rule,” in 2009.)

“I pledge to you that if you send me to Washington D.C., there will be no greater advocate for life in the United States Senate,” Miller wrote in the letter. “I am committed to advocating for innocent life and vigorously opposing the culture of death.”

Although both Miller and Murkowski said they supported the parental-notification ballot initiative, Miller was more involved, co-hosting a July fundraiser for the group behind the measure, Alaskans for Parental Rights.

Miller is one of several candidates prominently endorsed on the website of the Tea Party Express, which also links approvingly to parentalrights.org, a group lobbying for a federal parental rights law even more expansive than the one that passed Tuesday in Alaska.

Tea Party Embraces Pro-Life, Christian Conservative Ideals - The Daily Beast

in the meantime, feel free to name a tea extremist who is pro choice...

you know, while you say there's no social agenda.

do we need to go and find every statement written by them on the issue of reproductive choice?

yeah... i know they like to say that. but it's no one really believes it (though tea extremists like saying it... as they shriek about their anti-choice platforms).

from a year ago... points out how disingenuous it is for tea people to say they don't involve in social issues:

The Alaska election results underscore the extent to which the Tea Party movement and its candidates—strongly anti-abortion rights politicians such as Miller, Sharron Angle in Nevada, Marco Rubio in Florida, Rand Paul in Kentucky, and Ken Buck in Colorado—have come to be affiliated with Christian conservative ideals, even as Tea Party organizers say they have little interest in social issues.

Tea Party Express spokesman William Owens, a prominent Christian conservative with a history of pro-life activism, said Wednesday in an interview with The Daily Beast that the group steers clear of abortion because it wants to “focus on the most important things. The whole thrust of the Tea Party movement came out of fiscal irresponsibility and government overextending itself.”

But Miller, who received more than $550,000 in donations and on-the-ground support from the California-based Tea Party Express and frequently tweeted about his Tea Party affiliation, made his antiabortion stance a central part of the Alaska Senate primary. In June, he sent a fundraising letter to “pro-life supporters” criticizing Murkowski’s support for Roe v. Wade and stem-cell research, as well as her opposition to the “Mexico City Policy,” which under President George W. Bush prevented American foreign aid dollars from funding abortion services. (President Obama repealed the policy, also known as “Global Gag Rule,” in 2009.)

“I pledge to you that if you send me to Washington D.C., there will be no greater advocate for life in the United States Senate,” Miller wrote in the letter. “I am committed to advocating for innocent life and vigorously opposing the culture of death.”

Although both Miller and Murkowski said they supported the parental-notification ballot initiative, Miller was more involved, co-hosting a July fundraiser for the group behind the measure, Alaskans for Parental Rights.

Miller is one of several candidates prominently endorsed on the website of the Tea Party Express, which also links approvingly to parentalrights.org, a group lobbying for a federal parental rights law even more expansive than the one that passed Tuesday in Alaska.

I always thought of the Tea Party as being libertarian rather than socially conservative. But over time, it seems that the movement has been moving towards the socially conservative side, at least somewhat.

I'll wait and see.

It was mostly because he's local, I do believe.

Bachmann and Perry didn't try to compete

Perry didn't try to compete? Really? The WSJ says otherwise.

Herman Cain, a former corporate executive, bested other Republican presidential candidates in a straw poll of Florida Republican activists Saturday, a blow to the once-surging campaign of Texas Gov. Rick Perry, which had lobbied hard for victory.

Mr. Perry was the only top-tier candidate to declare himself all-in for the straw poll, organized by the Republican Party of Florida and held in Orlando. His supporters had targeted the 3,500 delegates, and Mr. Perry himself had poked some other candidates for side-stepping the event.

But Mr. Cain won the poll with 37% of the 2,657 votes cast. Mr. Perry finished a distant second, with just over 15%.

Herman Cain Wins Florida GOP Straw Poll - WSJ.com

This is from a WSJ article from before the vote.

GOP delegates in Florida cast votes Saturday in a straw poll. Mr. Perry remains the odds-on favorite, because his supporters have aggressively courted the delegates who are allowed to vote in the contest.

As Perry Slips, Lead Narrows - WSJ.com

I like Herman Cain, I've heard him speak on several occasions. Someone said he's black?? I didn't notice, he's an American, a fiscal conservative and has a working knowledge of economics, business and finance.

We've gone down the road with inexperience, at least Herman has had a real job and understands how a business model works. Face it, the US Government is a business, the only difference in it and another is a real business could not survive running deficits like our government has. They would have filed for bankruptcy long ago.

I'm tired of politicians, I'm tired of the same old crap in Washington. Herman Cain would get my vote in a NY minute. Unfortunately I don't see him getting the nomination because he's not a career politician. The Republican party will never support him, they want to pick the guy that will do things the way they think it should be done.

WTG Herman!!

He voted for the original version that failed; voted against the final version based on his commitment to States Rights. He got the vote of the Southern Democrats because of it; lost the vote of many Republicans and Northern Democrats because of it. But then Ron Paul says he also would have opposed it on the same grounds. Senator Robert Byrd led the Senate filibuster against it both times, but not for reasons of States Rights. :)

The Tea Party however does not get into any social issues and either way would not be a deal breaker for them.

Protect the Constitution
Reject Cap & Trade
Demand a balanced budget
Stop the pork
Stop the tax hikes

idiot.

Well then, let's say for sake of argument that the country is evenly divided on the abortion issue, pro-choice vs. anti-choice.

If abortion is in no way any part of the Tea Party agenda, then we would presumably see about half the Tea Party political figures as pro-choice.

Are half pro-choice? No

Are one third pro-choice? No

Are one tenth pro-choice? No

Are ANY pro-choice? That was the question. In the several times I've asked it, none have been named.

Thus, if abortion is no part of the Tea Party 'agenda', why is being anti-abortion almost universal among those who represent the Tea Party?

Well, I really don't know much about him since I don't watch much tv anymore, but Herman Cain seems a nice fellow.

If he's very conservative, though, the DNC spin room is already prepping a full clock-clean by now. Think I've already seem some of it above--"Uncle Tom" ding.a.ling.

:rolleyes:

Yes !!!!!!!!!!
I was hoping he would get it.
The Libs really hate him.
Lot's of people like him, Conservatives , Moderates and Conservative Dem's.
Now watch the libs are going to bring up the untrue things that has been said about him again.
People want someone in the WH who actually knows something about economics.

Oh yeah, vote in someone who knows NOTHING about politics to run this country. NOTHING.

Oh and his fucking pizza sucks ass. Anyone here actually like it?

I think it's time we try someone who isn't a "slick" cliches speaking politician. You know like that crap saying, HOPE AND CHANGE...
I like Mr. Cain.

I always thought of the Tea Party as being libertarian rather than socially conservative. But over time, it seems that the movement has been moving towards the socially conservative side, at least somewhat.

Once Obama was elected most of the former Bush supporters became Tea Party. That was the time of change for it.

Once Obama was elected most of the former Bush supporters became Tea Party. That was the time of change for it.
Doesn't make sense. Bush was a big spending liberal, in spite of the "R" behind his name.

Doesn't make sense. Bush was a big spending liberal, in spite of the "R" behind his name.

May not make sense to you but all the Tea Party members I know were ardent Bush supporters.

If you look at his resume,,a reasonable person would like what they see.

A proven business track record in the WH couldn't hurt. Lawyers????!!!!! not so much.

He is a great business man.
You can't beat his record in being a very intelligent person.
Look what he was when he was in the Navy;
Before his business and economics career he worked as a mathematician in ballistics for the United States Navy.
He knows a lot more than Obama does about economics.
Just remember that George Washington wasn't a career politician either, and he turned out to be a great President.
I like his answer about not being a politician when he said and "How's that working out for you"? :)

I like Cain. I just don't think he can beat Obama. I don't think he'll win the nomination, either. no matter what the straw poll says.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dR45pdEqW4]Damn.. Were in a tight spot. - YouTube[/ame]

That's silly, spending doesn't make you a liberal. He was just an untrustworthy Conservative...let's be honest here.

Forum List

Back