Herman Cain to get secret service protection?

Remodeling Maidiac

Diamond Member
Jun 13, 2011
Kansas City
I'm still out doing estimates so I'm stuck with only my radio but its being reported that he will be getting protection from them. Is this normal? And if not why would he receive it?

Secret Service Seeks Funding for 2012 Candidate Protection as Budget Process Idles

[SNIP]

"While much has changed in the 43 years since we began protecting presidential candidates, the challenges associated with planning and budgeting for candidate protection two years ahead of presidential campaigns remain," he said. "Forecasting staffing and costs for presidential campaigns is surrounded by a great deal of unknowns, such as the number of candidates that will run for the presidency, how much they will travel and how soon the field of candidates is selected."

The most candidates ever receiving protection during a presidential campaign was 15 -- in 1976. By contrast, there were just three in 2004.

[/SNIP]

Herman Cain became on Thursday the first Republican presidential candidate to receive Secret Service protection, a spokesman for the presidential guard agency said.

Cain requested the security and Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano and congressional leaders approved his request Thursday, Secret Service spokesman Ed Donovan said.

Elite agents were expected to begin protecting the former pizza company executive sometime Thursday.

Death threats against Cain, who had been experiencing a bounce in the polls, triggered his request, according to an official with knowledge of the situation who asked not to be identified because of the sensitive nature of the situation.

Secret Service protection is given to each party’s presidential nominee, but can be provided earlier if there is a credible threat. Then-Sen. Barack Obama received his Secret Service detail in May 2007, more than a year before he captured the Democratic nomination.
GOP presidential candidate Herman Cain receives Secret Service protection - Chicago Sun-Times

I'm still out doing estimates so I'm stuck with only my radio but its being reported that he will be getting protection from them. Is this normal? And if not why would he receive it?

Death threats. Congress approved the protection. And the threats must be proven credible.

Death threats against Cain, who had been experiencing a bounce in the polls, triggered his request, according to an official with knowledge of the situation who asked not to be identified because of the sensitive nature of the situation.

Secret Service protection is given to each party’s presidential nominee, but can be provided earlier if there is a credible threat. Then-Sen. Barack Obama received his Secret Service detail in May 2007, more than a year before he captured the Democratic nomination.

It's from the Washington Post.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back