Herman Cain Says Poor People Should Just Buy Used Goods

Where do you buy used food?

There is a store that specializes in damaged freight.

The carton has a couple dented cans and the store can get a case for pennies, and they mark it way up, but still half what you pay at regular stores.

Seriously, one doesn't buy flank steak on a rice income.

The Dollar $tore has seversl food isles and a nice refrige, freezer section. I also recommend Grocery Outlet. Great prices & cheap wine.
You can eat cheap if you're hungry enough:lol:

But where does one purchase "used food"...?

Cain is nothing more than another apologist for economic fascism.

As are many here, I note.

Not me...I want smaller federal government with most of the power going back to the states. This is why I want that to. To much power compacted within the national government=this crap. Yes fascism is big businesses owning/having a huge say within the government.

Last edited:

I think that rather depends on where you get your information from. If you get it from a biased media, then I can see where that opinion comes from. Those of us who prefer to get information directly from the source, and form our own opinion, based on logic and critical thinking don't have that problem. But please don't let reality get in the way of your media formed opinions.

Pressed About His Plan To Raise Taxes On Food, Herman Cain Says Poor People Should Just Buy Used Goods

By Marie Diamond

In response to sharp questioning from the moderators and his fellow contenders about the effects of his plan, which would raise taxes on common food items to pay for a massive corporate tax cut, Cain seemed to have settled on a simple solution: the poor should just eat used food and buy used goods.

More: Pressed About His Plan To Raise Taxes On Food, Herman Cain Says Poor People Should Just Buy Used Goods | ThinkProgress

Used food? Wouldn't that be like...shit?

Also, forget about buying anything new with a warranty. If it still works when you get your used junk home - be thankful.

I have never bought a new car.

When I was younger I bought all my clothes at a Salvation Army or Goodwill store.

I just bought a refurbished table saw and some other power tools from an estate sale.

I saved thousands if not tens of thousands over my lifetime by buying used items and you think it's a bad thing?

Pressed About His Plan To Raise Taxes On Food, Herman Cain Says Poor People Should Just Buy Used Goods

By Marie Diamond

In response to sharp questioning from the moderators and his fellow contenders about the effects of his plan, which would raise taxes on common food items to pay for a massive corporate tax cut, Cain seemed to have settled on a simple solution: the poor should just eat used food and buy used goods.

More: Pressed About His Plan To Raise Taxes On Food, Herman Cain Says Poor People Should Just Buy Used Goods | ThinkProgress

Also, forget about buying anything new with a warranty. If it still works when you get your used junk home - be thankful.

Used food? That's ridiculous. We do buy damaged packages. You can get half off on cereal when a box is damaged, like somehwhat crushed .

My wife and I are not poor and we look for good used stuff in garage and yard sales and GoodWill. It's smart to look for bargains. A family can raise their standard of living by doing that. Most of the books we buy are used.

There are a lot of assumptions in those ideas, and one still needs a level of material well being.

I once had a long discussion with a well to do person who shops at Walmart, after establishing Walmart's business practices, pay, and worker treatment were not the greatest thing for the America worker, my opponent in debate offered this positive for them, it is a good place for poor people to shop as the prices are cheap. See, doesn't really matter what the reality or consequences of any business practice is so long as some reason exists that justifies in the mind of the defender the position of the undefended. Finally I went ironic and agreed that pay should even be lower and that profits came first. If you join them they get confused.

Walmart Watch
See this movie if you get a chance. WAL-MART: The High Cost of Low Price
Value and Values at Wal-Mart -- Behind That Implacable Smiley Face
As Union Nears Win, Wal-Mart Closes Store
Majority Says Wal-Mart Bad for America: Poll
Wal-Mart Subsidy Watch - brought to you by Good Jobs First

By Marie Diamond

I have never bought a new car.

When I was younger I bought all my clothes at a Salvation Army or Goodwill store.

I just bought a refurbished table saw and some other power tools from an estate sale.

I saved thousands if not tens of thousands over my lifetime by buying used items and you think it's a bad thing?

I do that too. In fact, I refurbished a lot of the furniture in my house. I bought second hand quality and did it up. Saved a small fortune. I like doing stuff up... it's fun.

Here's my problem with Cain's 9-9-9 program.

It will kill what is left of manufacturing in this country. It will encourage people to buy cheaper foreign goods, it will encourage people to buy second hand stuff on Ebay, it will encourage people to not replace durable goods until they absolutely wear out.

Try to get a couple more years out of that beater car or put off buying a new fridge or washer when you can just get it repaired. Assembly lines will screech to a halt.

CAin's plan will create a gigantic BLACK MARKET, folks.

It will ALSO drive up the value of used goods.

Us pack rats and junk merchants might do very well if this plan is put into place

the poor should just eat used food and buy used goods

I repeat, from the OP, Herman said "used food" - not dented cans or expired shelf life - USED. I only know of one way for food to be "used"...

I know what Herman is telling the poor: Eat Shit.

my goodness. do you have a happy life?
day in and day out you post YOUR outrage from your outrageous lefty websites.
this is thinkprogress FOLKS...nuff said

That is what goodwill and Salvation army is all about.

Quite a lot of rich people shop there as well. People on small incomes need to manage their money well, but liberals have an issue with the concept of intelligent money management.
Where do you buy used food?

There is a store that specializes in damaged freight.

The carton has a couple dented cans and the store can get a case for pennies, and they mark it way up, but still half what you pay at regular stores.

Seriously, one doesn't buy flank steak on a rice income.

You do if you expect/can get the government to pay for it.

the poor should just eat used food and buy used goods

I repeat, from the OP, Herman said "used food" - not dented cans or expired shelf life - USED. I only know of one way for food to be "used"...

I know what Herman is telling the poor: Eat Shit.
Funny. I read the entire linked piece from the OP, and watched the whole 1:55 video... I did not see the words 'used food' anywhere, nor did I hear them in the video.

Did you link to the wrong source maybe?

I did see this...

In a Bloomberg interview, Cain claimed that under 999, “prices don’t go up” because “consumers have the option to stretch their dollar because of buying used goods instead of new.”
Makes perfect sense. You can't afford new goods, so you buy used goods. That will give you more money saved, to apply to FOOD....

TWO SEPARATE ISSUES, DIPSHIT!

Once again, Shitting Bull starts another bogus, pointless, 'I hate someone and want to share my hatred with the board' threads.

YAWN.

Last edited:

By Marie Diamond

Before you regurgitate stories such as this you should first do your homework.

I watched the debate and Cain said nothing about "used food".

I suppose honesty is too much to ask of from liberals.

i seriously doubt the op is suggesting that an actual diet of used food will be embraced as a republican financial recovery strategy for individuals...however food is probably the highest daily cost factor in most homes. that being said, how does one apply the "buy used" tactic to food?

Last edited:
The libs believing that Herman Cain said that people should buy used food is going to reach the same level of acceptable truthfulness and Sarah Palin saying she could see Russia from her house.

i seriously doubt the op is suggesting that an actual diet of used food will be embraced as a republican financial recovery strategy for individuals...however food is probably the highest daily cost factor in most homes. that being said, how does one apply the "buy used" tactic to food?

the article certainly is not.. but the moron who started the thread certainly is.

That's the point, one doesn't. One takes the money saved in buying used goods instead of new, and applies that to the food budget.

CAin's plan will create a gigantic BLACK MARKET, folks.

It will ALSO drive up the value of used goods.

Us pack rats and junk merchants might do very well if this plan is put into place

Garage sales and flea markets...

We have those now are you saying that a person holding a garage sale or a person buying something at a garage sale are dooming manufacturing in this country?

Forum List

Back