Heritage Language

You advocate for a common language that you can't even speak. ....

I didn’t say either of those things, dumbass.
Your backtracking is duly noted. Carry on.

No backtracking at all. You’re not very good at reading, are you?
And you're a chick trying to pass as a guy. Looks like we're even. :biggrin:

Troll for transdates somewhere else, illiterate freak show.

Given the fact that multilingualism is increasingly seen as an essential career skill in today's global marketplace, it is disappointing to see young people 'lose' their family heritage language soon after immigrating to the US. Disappointing, but not surprising, and not entirely without benefit. It is a natural part of the process of assimilation, and facilitates attributes essential to success in America. However, when the children or grandchildren of first generation immigrants struggle - and more often than not fail - to try and acquire that same language, one cannot help feeling that something precious has been lost.
Yes, they say knowing a second language helps in many areas besides the obvious including reasoning, logic and other cognitive abilities. It is said to even have effect in warding off dementia and alzheimers.

I am an advocate of English only in government offices and such, but I am also a firm believer in knowing a second language. The biggest regret is that my own paternal grandparents did not pass down the language to their children.

Why learn a foreign language? Benefits of bilingualism

Last edited:
Given the fact that multilingualism is increasingly seen as an essential career skill in today's global marketplace, it is disappointing to see young people 'lose' their family heritage language soon after immigrating to the US. Disappointing, but not surprising, and not entirely without benefit. It is a natural part of the process of assimilation, and facilitates attributes essential to success in America. However, when the children or grandchildren of first generation immigrants struggle - and more often than not fail - to try and acquire that same language, one cannot help feeling that something precious has been lost.
Yes, they say knowing a second language helps in many areas besides the obvious including reasoning, logic and other cognitive abilities. It is said to even have effect in warding off dementia and alzheimers.

And chicks dig it.

And chicks dig it.
Well that concludes the discussion. We have a winner!

You advocate for a common language that you can't even speak. ....

Says the girl with the crossdressing avatar.

My great-grandparents came here in 1901 from Europe. Between them they spoke six languages fluently. The only language they spoke publicly after arriving and allowed their eight children to learn was English.

Are you drunk?

Are you drunk?
Just telling it like it is.

. .I am an advocate of English only in government offices and such, but I am also a firm believer in knowing a second language. The biggest regret is that my own paternal grandparents did not pass down the language to their children

Interesting. My great grandfather refused to teach even individual foreign words to my grandfather or his siblings. He saw it as unAmerican to speak anything other than English and considered himself less of an American because of his Germanic accent.

International sign should be taught to everybody. Then you could keep your native and still talk to anybody.
That's the fastest way to peace. The ability to communicate.
Ever heard of Esperanto? ..... :cool:

A Second Language for Everyone | Esperanto-USA

More people today speak Klingon than Esperanto... However, they're typically not people you'd like to talk to.

klingons.jpg
Dude on the right nailed it, perfectly.

Forum List

Back