Here's some love from a liberal.

Stephanie

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2004
James Wolcott is a VANITY FAIR contributing editor

The Crying Game
Posted by James Wolcott
It seems as if it was only this afternoon--because it was only this afternoon--that conservative bloggers were flopping all over each other to express their boredom with the windbag monotony of the Alito hearings, trying to outdo each other with yawns, snores, and zzzzzzzzzz's.

Then Mrs. Alito suffered a case of the weepies that was so dramatically well-timed and patently maudlin that I was reminded of the classic stage direction in Private Eye (takes out onion, wipes away tear), and suddenly the proceedings turned into a soap opera with Fox News commentators arriving on cue to deplore the toll taken on innocent bystanders in these brutal proceedings. From their sympathetic clucks and disapproving tones you would have thought Alito had been subjected to a Stalinist show trial presided over by Randi Rhodes in a bad mood rather than honey-tongued Lindsey Graham asking Alito with tender solicitude, "Are you a bigot?" The hypocritical highpoint came when Newt Gingrich, who during his reign as Speaker of the House did more than any political leader in recent memory to dump raw sewage into the political discourse, had the gall to invoke Joseph Welch's famous rhetorical throwdown of moral umbrage during the McCarthy hearings--"At long last, sir, have you no decency?"--to showboat his phony disgust over this trivial episode of upset feelings.

Yes, so heartsick were conservatives over this lady in distress that they immediately hurrahed Mrs. Alito's walkout as the humanizing moment that would win the public's sympathy vote and put Judge Alito's candidacy over the top and assure him a seat on the Court. If Alito is confirmed, Mrs. Alito and Judge Clarence Thomas's wife can commisserate by exchanging monogrammed crying towels as their men folk roll back women's rights and civil liberties and go duck hunting weekends with Scalia.

P.S.: Jane Hamsher at Firedoglake heralds our new First Lady of the American Theater.
http://jameswolcott.com/archives/2006/01/the_crying_game.php

Stephanie said:
James Wolcott is a VANITY FAIR contributing editor

The Crying Game
Posted by James Wolcott
It seems as if it was only this afternoon--because it was only this afternoon--that conservative bloggers were flopping all over each other to express their boredom with the windbag monotony of the Alito hearings, trying to outdo each other with yawns, snores, and zzzzzzzzzz's.

Then Mrs. Alito suffered a case of the weepies that was so dramatically well-timed and patently maudlin that I was reminded of the classic stage direction in Private Eye (takes out onion, wipes away tear), and suddenly the proceedings turned into a soap opera with Fox News commentators arriving on cue to deplore the toll taken on innocent bystanders in these brutal proceedings. From their sympathetic clucks and disapproving tones you would have thought Alito had been subjected to a Stalinist show trial presided over by Randi Rhodes in a bad mood rather than honey-tongued Lindsey Graham asking Alito with tender solicitude, "Are you a bigot?" The hypocritical highpoint came when Newt Gingrich, who during his reign as Speaker of the House did more than any political leader in recent memory to dump raw sewage into the political discourse, had the gall to invoke Joseph Welch's famous rhetorical throwdown of moral umbrage during the McCarthy hearings--"At long last, sir, have you no decency?"--to showboat his phony disgust over this trivial episode of upset feelings.

Yes, so heartsick were conservatives over this lady in distress that they immediately hurrahed Mrs. Alito's walkout as the humanizing moment that would win the public's sympathy vote and put Judge Alito's candidacy over the top and assure him a seat on the Court. If Alito is confirmed, Mrs. Alito and Judge Clarence Thomas's wife can commisserate by exchanging monogrammed crying towels as their men folk roll back women's rights and civil liberties and go duck hunting weekends with Scalia.

P.S.: Jane Hamsher at Firedoglake heralds our new First Lady of the American Theater.
http://jameswolcott.com/archives/2006/01/the_crying_game.php

I've found myself actually HOPING the GOP staged this whole incident so I could give em some credit for finally learning how to street fight.

Funny how the left's heart bleeds over everyone and everything else, but not for Mrs. Alito. If my husband was publicly called a bigot, etc., for 2 days by hypocritical men like 98 Proof Teddy, I might have cried too. From anger and frustration, and from the inability to get up and punch them in the nose.

Wolcotts venom-dripping diatribe is simply proof of a basic truism in American politics: the surest way to earn the undying hatred of a liberal is to be effective.

dilloduck said:
I've found myself actually HOPING the GOP staged this whole incident so I could give em some credit for finally learning how to street fight.

heh, with all the utter incompetence of the Democrats these days.... they must be some kind of parapalegic, paralyzed street fighter, because they just downright suck. Its almost offensive to see a political party so pathetically hapless.

If Alito is confirmed, Mrs. Alito and Judge Clarence Thomas's wife can commisserate by exchanging monogrammed crying towels as their men folk roll back women's rights and civil liberties and go duck hunting weekends with Scalia.

I love how brainwashed liberals are, any conservative in power is automatically just going to "roll back" womens rights and civil liberties. Yea, um the new Judge is just going to do what, overturn the right for women to vote?

:bs1:

The hypocritical highpoint came when Newt Gingrich, who during his reign as Speaker of the House did more than any political leader in recent memory to dump raw sewage into the political discourse, had the gall to invoke Joseph Welch's famous rhetorical throwdown of moral umbrage during the McCarthy hearings--"At long last, sir, have you no decency?"--to showboat his phony disgust over this trivial episode of upset feelings.

How anyone can with a straight face type the sentence "hypocritical highpoint" and not follow it with Ted Kennedy's name is amazing. But then, this writer is a good example of how vicious and dishonest so many Dems are today in pursuing their agenda.

How fitting it would be if Kennedy had to sit in front of a panel of people grilling him about Chappaquidick, cheating at Harvard resulting in expulsion, cheating on his wife, excessive drinking, etc.

And then at the end, have his job hanging in the balance.

Abbey Normal said:
How anyone can with a straight face type the sentence "hypocritical highpoint" and not follow it with Ted Kennedy's name is amazing. But then, this writer is a good example of how vicious and dishonest so many Dems are today in pursuing their agenda.

How fitting it would be if Kennedy had to sit in front of a panel of people grilling him about Chappaquidick, cheating at Harvard resulting in expulsion, cheating on his wife, excessive drinking, etc.

And then at the end, have his job hanging in the balance.

What a liberal does is private and you have no business bringing this up--it has NO effect on his job performance. :rotflmao:

The Liberal form of "fair" and "unbiased" interviewing of conservative candidates:

"Tell us, Mr. Alito, did you stop beating your wife? ...a yes or no answer will suffice."

dilloduck said:
What a liberal does is private and you have no business bringing this up--it has NO effect on his job performance. :rotflmao:

And I'm sure it's only a matter of time before I'm sued for even mentioning it.
:terror:

How can we expect anything more, when one of their own poster boys has a view like this on honesty:

“I think you can be an honest person and lie about any number of things.”
-- Dan Rather on The O'Reilly Factor, May 15, 2001

theHawk said:
I love how brainwashed liberals are, any conservative in power is automatically just going to "roll back" womens rights and civil liberties. Yea, um the new Judge is just going to do what, overturn the right for women to vote?

:bs1:

Stirring up fear is the only weapon they have, and it's not working for them anymore. Ideas that appeal to the masses left the Dems several years ago.

Forum List

Back