Here’s how B-2 bomber pilots pull off grueling 33-hour flights

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
Sin City
154559_1068610739914929_1576951477640937800_n.jpg

I cannot even begin to comprehend what it must be like. I’ve spent endless hours behind the wheel of a car driving cross-country, but was able to stop, get out, and take care of business. My longest flight was from Travis AFB to Vietnam. But we made 2 stops along the way.

24 hours plus in the cockpit?

Beck noted the importance of staying hydrated and said he brings bottles of water and Gatorade aboard flights.

Haffner brings toiletries, spare clothes and light snacks.

I kind of relate it to driving on a road trip,” he said. “You're stopping by the fast food restaurant, and you get the double cheeseburger and the fries and the shake and everything, and you're going to put yourself to sleep. But if you don't eat anything, you're also going to feel miserable. So you’ve got to find that happy middle point.”

Environmental cues can also cue the body to stay awake or sleep. For example, Beck’s 33-hour B-52 flight to Japan followed the sun, giving the crew only a few hours of darkness.

Your mind doesn't know what to think at that point. You're just awake,” Beck said, adding that situations like that can cause the crew to lose track of time.

You’re very thankful when you land, I’ll say that."

More @ Here’s how B-2 bomber pilots pull off grueling 33-hour flights

Do they leave it up to the pilots whether or not they want to stay hydrated with a bottle of water? Maybe they balance their hydration so they don't need to wear diapers.

Do they leave it up to the pilots whether or not they want to stay hydrated with a bottle of water? Maybe they balance their hydration so they don't need to wear diapers.

Don't they have catheters in their flight suits?

Since B-2 was designed to fly 30+ hour missions it actually has a small stainless steel toilet behind one of the seats. They also have enough space behind the seats to set up a camping cot so pilots can take turns sleeping.

Forum List

Back