Here's How Arabs INTEROGATE People....

This is torture.

911_jump_03b.jpg

except he didnt actually "order" them shot
he ALLOWED it as a last resort, and the commander on the ship made the final call

A distinction without a difference

ROFLMNAO... Oh that is a snappy comeback.. and if there was no difference in that distinction you'd be in GREAT SHAPE.

Sadly, the difference is that an American would have ordered the Pirates to be destroyed... as a show of force, to offset any notions that hijacking US ships should be considered a 'decent business model'... proving that the liability of losing one's life, outwieghs ANY potential profit.

That's not what The Lord of the Idiots did... He ordered negotiations and a peaceful resolution, which would have only encoruaged more piracy. The Seals were the ones who provided the bottom line resolution: Fuck with us and we'll destroy your ass TODAY!

A peaceful resolution? Except that 3 pirates died. Thats not peaceful.

This is torture.

911_jump_03b.jpg

That looks like death to me.

I'm sure you feel the families of all the victims didn't feel torture on 9/11. Nor the people in the planes and the buildings.

Seems to me that doing what was deemed legal at the time to prevent 9/11 from happening again (which it did), is a small trade when you consider the alternative.

This is torture.

911_jump_03b.jpg

I'm sure you feel the families of all the victims didn't feel torture on 9/11. Nor the people in the planes and the buildings.

Seems to me that doing what was deemed legal at the time to prevent 9/11 from happening again (which it did), is a small trade when you consider the alternative.

The families of all the victims didn't feel torture on 9/11, because, well, they weren't tortured. From the convention against torture "torture means any act by which severe pain or suffering, whether physical or mental, is intentionally inflicted on a person for such purposes as obtaining from him or a third person information or a confession, punishing him for an act he or a third person has committed or is suspected of having committed, or intimidating or coercing him or a third person, or for any reason based on discrimination of any kind, when such pain or suffering is inflicted by or at the instigation of or with the consent or acquiescence of a public official or other person acting in an official capacity. It does not include pain or suffering arising only from, inherent in or incidental to lawful sanctions."

Of course, the things that were "deemed legal at the time" were because of the definition of torture in the bybee memo. That definition was "Physical pain amounting to torture must be equivalent to intensity to the pain accompanying serious physical injury, such as organ failure, impairment of bodily function, or even death. For purely mental pain or suffering to amount to torture under Section 2340, it must result in significant psychological harm of significant duration, e.g., lasting for months or even years."

Some things under that act that don't fall under torture: Rape. Needles under fingernails. Electro-shocks. Threatening ones family. Druggings. Just a few which are deemed "legal" under that absurd, asinine definition. By the way, the language for the "organ failure, impairment of bodily function" part was taken from a statute involving, IIRC, medicare. Clearly not applicable here.

The things that were "determined to be legal" were prosecuted as torture...but only when others did those acts to Americans. Because, of course, then its torture.

The families of all the victims didn't feel torture on 9/11, because, well, they weren't tortured. From the convention against torture "torture means any act by which severe pain or suffering, whether physical or mental, is intentionally inflicted on a person for such purposes as obtaining from him or a third person information or a confession, punishing him for an act he or a third person has committed or is suspected of having committed, or intimidating or coercing him or a third person, or for any reason based on discrimination of any kind, when such pain or suffering is inflicted by or at the instigation of or with the consent or acquiescence of a public official or other person acting in an official capacity. It does not include pain or suffering arising only from, inherent in or incidental to lawful sanctions."

Of course, the things that were "deemed legal at the time" were because of the definition of torture in the bybee memo. That definition was "Physical pain amounting to torture must be equivalent to intensity to the pain accompanying serious physical injury, such as organ failure, impairment of bodily function, or even death. For purely mental pain or suffering to amount to torture under Section 2340, it must result in significant psychological harm of significant duration, e.g., lasting for months or even years."

Some things under that act that don't fall under torture: Rape. Needles under fingernails. Electro-shocks. Threatening ones family. Druggings. Just a few which are deemed "legal" under that absurd, asinine definition. By the way, the language for the "organ failure, impairment of bodily function" part was taken from a statute involving, IIRC, medicare. Clearly not applicable here.

The things that were "determined to be legal" were prosecuted as torture...but only when others did those acts to Americans. Because, of course, then its torture.

Such a good try but...wrong.

From Dictionary.com:

tor⋅ture
   /ˈtɔrtʃər/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [tawr-cher] Show IPA noun, verb, -tured, -tur⋅ing.
–noun
1. the act of inflicting excruciating pain, as punishment or revenge, as a means of getting a confession or information, or for sheer cruelty.
2. a method of inflicting such pain.
3. Often, tortures. the pain or suffering caused or undergone.
4. extreme anguish of body or mind; agony.
5. a cause of severe pain or anguish.

From Dictionary.com:

tor⋅ture
   /ˈtɔrtʃər/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [tawr-cher] Show IPA noun, verb, -tured, -tur⋅ing.
–noun
1. the act of inflicting excruciating pain, as punishment or revenge, as a means of getting a confession or information, or for sheer cruelty.

Dictionary.com isn't a resource for anything approaching a legal definition. Fail. Badly.

From Dictionary.com:

tor⋅ture
–noun

Dictionary.com isn't a resource for anything approaching a legal definition. Fail. Badly.

Who said I was using the the "legal" definition?

It was my post. I used the word to describe the feelings the families and witnesses must have felt.

You chose to change my meaning to fit your agenda.

Epic fail.

From Dictionary.com:

tor⋅ture
–noun

Who said I was using the the "legal" definition?

It was my post. I used the word to describe the feelings the families and witnesses must have felt.

You chose to change my meaning to fit your agenda.

Epic fail.

Gee, I'm sorry. When you referenced what was "deemed legal" I thought we were talking about legal definitions not "whatever the fuck I want things to mean" definitions. Carry on with your bullshit about deciding words mean whatever you want them to mean.

Before the coming of Islam, most Arabs followed a religion with a number of deities, including Hubal, Wadd, Allāt, Manat, and Uzza.

Forum List

Back