heres doing something new with your life

DKSuddeth

Oct 20, 2003
North Texas
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tm...16/ap_on_el_st_lo/wrongly_convicted_candidate

Ex-Death Row Inmate Runs for Ill. House
Mon Dec 15, 7:13 PM ET

By RYAN KEITH, Associated Press Writer

SPRINGFIELD, Ill. - Less than a year after being released from death row, Aaron Patterson is running for the Legislature with a pledge to change some of the laws he says wrongly put him behind bars.

Patterson filed Monday to run in the March primary. He'll face Rep. Patricia Bailey, a fellow Democrat in her first term serving Chicago's southwest side.

Patterson was one of four men pardoned in January as part of then-Gov. George Ryan's historic clearing of death row in his final days in office. Patterson, who was convicted of killing an elderly Chicago couple in 1986, spent 17 years on death row, despite his claims police tortured him into confessing to the crime.

"I feel like the very laws that put me on death row, I want to go down there and change them," Patterson said in a telephone interview.

He received a $161,500 settlement from the state for his faulty conviction and has filed a $30 million federal lawsuit against police officers and others involved in his case.

Patterson, 39, is a former gang leader with a prior record for gang activities. Illinois law allows former criminals to run for state office once they've served their sentence.

Patterson's agenda includes abolishing the death penalty, cracking down on police misconduct and investigating the cases of other inmates who claim they were wrongfully convicted.

Bailey did not return a telephone message Monday afternoon.

Patterson worries that his candidacy may be challenged because state law requires candidates to live in the district for at least two years before running for office. The prison is in Pontiac.

Dan White of the State Board of Elections said he's unaware of any similar case coming before the board and any challenges would first be handled by local election authorities.

Patterson's agenda includes ... investigating the cases of other inmates who claim they were wrongfully convicted

Now this ones is funny indeed! When i was in i worked at the DB in Ft. Leavenworth. Let me tell you, with the exception of about a dozen prisoners, the rest claimed they were innocent. Imagine that. I used to have conversations with one death row prisoner, jsut ask him, he'd tell you, "damn right I killed the son-of-a-bitch". I think we need more honest criminals...lol

Originally posted by DKSuddeth
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tm...16/ap_on_el_st_lo/wrongly_convicted_candidate

Ex-Death Row Inmate Runs for Ill. House
Mon Dec 15, 7:13 PM ET

By RYAN KEITH, Associated Press Writer

SPRINGFIELD, Ill. - Less than a year after being released from death row, Aaron Patterson is running for the Legislature with a pledge to change some of the laws he says wrongly put him behind bars.

Patterson filed Monday to run in the March primary. He'll face Rep. Patricia Bailey, a fellow Democrat in her first term serving Chicago's southwest side.

Patterson was one of four men pardoned in January as part of then-Gov. George Ryan's historic clearing of death row in his final days in office. Patterson, who was convicted of killing an elderly Chicago couple in 1986, spent 17 years on death row, despite his claims police tortured him into confessing to the crime.

"I feel like the very laws that put me on death row, I want to go down there and change them," Patterson said in a telephone interview.

He received a $161,500 settlement from the state for his faulty conviction and has filed a $30 million federal lawsuit against police officers and others involved in his case.

Patterson, 39, is a former gang leader with a prior record for gang activities. Illinois law allows former criminals to run for state office once they've served their sentence.

Patterson's agenda includes abolishing the death penalty, cracking down on police misconduct and investigating the cases of other inmates who claim they were wrongfully convicted.

Bailey did not return a telephone message Monday afternoon.

Patterson worries that his candidacy may be challenged because state law requires candidates to live in the district for at least two years before running for office. The prison is in Pontiac.

Dan White of the State Board of Elections said he's unaware of any similar case coming before the board and any challenges would first be handled by local election authorities.
This article seems to indicate that he was, indeed, innocent. If that's the case, more power to him. Perhaps he will be one of the few coming out of prison that actually makes the world a better place. Regardless of his guilt or innocence, if he's served his term and gotten out, he deserves to do whatever he wants to do to be a productive member of society.

Forum List

Back