Here's a thought....

Steelplate

Bluesman
Apr 25, 2011
Central PA
Did you ever think that the reason that people have less children these days is because they can't afford them?

Seriously... back in the 50's and 60's, people were having 3, 4. 5 and even 6 kids/family. Nowadays, you can BARELY scrape by with 2. I know... My wife and I have two... one we put through college and another that is starting this fall semester.

Our oldest is getting married on the 26th of May 2012. We just bought their Wedding present(a bedroom suite) NOW, because a local bedding store is going out of business.... which BTW, I asked the OWNER the reason why..... it wasn't that they pay too much taxes... or are regulated too much... it was simply that they cannot afford to compete with the Conglomerates, who have all the power and all the money... 47 years in business... gone to shit. Thanks Corporatists and Big Business supporters. Another local business down the drain because "Bigger is better".

Anyway... the point is... Families used to be able to have a large number of children, because their wages could support them. Nowadays... it can't.

THINK....The deal with "entitlements" are that there are more people retiring than there are people to pay into the system... who's to blame for that?.... yeah.. let's keep bottom lining the working people of America... and then complain that "government doesn't work". It's ingenuous in nature... but if you look beyond the surface... it's really easy to decipher.

Did you ever think that the reason that people have less children these days is because they can't afford them?

Seriously... back in the 50's and 60's, people were having 3, 4. 5 and even 6 kids/family. Nowadays, you can BARELY scrape by with 2. I know... My wife and I have two... one we put through college and another that is starting this fall semester.

Our oldest is getting married on the 26th of May 2012. We just bought their Wedding present(a bedroom suite) NOW, because a local bedding store is going out of business.... which BTW, I asked the OWNER the reason why..... it wasn't that they pay too much taxes... or are regulated too much... it was simply that they cannot afford to compete with the Conglomerates, who have all the power and all the money... 47 years in business... gone to shit. Thanks Corporatists and Big Business supporters. Another local business down the drain because "Bigger is better".

Anyway... the point is... Families used to be able to have a large number of children, because their wages could support them. Nowadays... it can't.

THINK....The deal with "entitlements" are that there are more people retiring than there are people to pay into the system... who's to blame for that?.... yeah.. let's keep bottom lining the working people of America... and then complain that "government doesn't work". It's ingenuous in nature... but if you look beyond the surface... it's really easy to decipher.

Its a bit more complicated then that. I know what struggling to raise a family is. Ive raised 4 and now 3 grandchildren. I didnt look for others to come to my rescue. Before I opened my own business I worked two full time jobs.

Back in the 50 and 60s we didnt have abortion on demand. The left wasnt pushing single parent households.

Congrats on the wedding My youngest gets married in Sept. They dont plan on children until they at least are 26. Both attending college.

Like anything in life you adapt.

To a certain degree you are right... Back in the 50's and 60's the wife usually stayed home and took care of the children and life was much simpler. People saved up to buy the things they wanted and relied very little on credit. Homes were much simpler, cars were much simpler - everything was simpler when you stop to think about it. There was less techno gizmos to spend your money on. Kids actually played outdoors with each other instead of staying indoors glued to a video game like they do now. Then along came the credit card, bigger and more fancier houses, cars, electronic stuff, and the list goes on and on. Instead of saving for things like was done in the past, people began to rely more and more on the ease of using credit cards and "instant gratification" became the norm. So, to meet the need for more income, the wife began to work outside of the home and kids began to fend for themselves with less and less supervision. Thus we have todays world. Nobody is happy with their salary now and blame the company they work for because they don't pay them enough to live the lavish lifestyle they desire when in actuallity they are paid what the job is really worth. It isn't the fault of business that money is tight and it's difficult to raise a family. It's our own fault for becoming so greedy and thinking things that we don't really need are essential for everyday normal life. Case in point, does your 15 year old kid really need to have a cell phone? I rest my case.

Hispanic's are having many kids, no problemo

To a certain degree you are right... Back in the 50's and 60's the wife usually stayed home and took care of the children and life was much simpler. People saved up to buy the things they wanted and relied very little on credit. Homes were much simpler, cars were much simpler - everything was simpler when you stop to think about it. There was less techno gizmos to spend your money on. Kids actually played outdoors with each other instead of staying indoors glued to a video game like they do now. Then along came the credit card, bigger and more fancier houses, cars, electronic stuff, and the list goes on and on. Instead of saving for things like was done in the past, people began to rely more and more on the ease of using credit cards and "instant gratification" became the norm. So, to meet the need for more income, the wife began to work outside of the home and kids began to fend for themselves with less and less supervision. Thus we have todays world. Nobody is happy with their salary now and blame the company they work for because they don't pay them enough to live the lavish lifestyle they desire when in actuallity they are paid what the job is really worth. It isn't the fault of business that money is tight and it's difficult to raise a family. It's our own fault for becoming so greedy and thinking things that we don't really need are essential for everyday normal life. Case in point, does your 15 year old kid really need to have a cell phone? I rest my case.

Oh... I am not saying you are necessarily wrong... a 15 year old doesn't need a cell phone... but that's where we have evolved to, isn't it? Instant Gratification is the norm. But, you have to realize that it's not just the "everyman's" fault. It is also... I would even venture so far as to say a ratio of.... 70/30 or perhaps 60/40.... the fault of big business and it's conspirator, Big banking's. Big business will convince you(through the medium of excessive advertising(you hear it enough times, it becomes truth), that you "need" their product... and big banking is more than willing to lend you the money on a little plastic card to get that product you "need so bad".

Sure... there are some(very few) that will resist temptation... but most will be suckered in to one extent or another to their ploys.

I mean... I'll even be willing to go as far as 50/50... But the truth is... money and power is on the conglomerate's side.... that's why I skew it slightly in their direction. They know most of us cannot afford it... but they don't care. Once the deal is done... it's no longer in their hands.

None of the above.

The more technologically advanced the society, the more it trends toward lower population growth.

That's pretty much all there is to it.

I'd love you to be able to prove your point... since there has been no other advanced of a society since... oh... before the Civil War, perhaps...

Now, granted... that doesn't take into account the theory of "ancient aliens" or anything like that... but basically.... the world has only progressed beyond horse and buggy since a little before the Civil War(think transcontinental railroad).

Have fun proving your point.

Kids are so much more expensive now all those disposable diapers instead of washing diapers you know.
And once you are ferrying 2 to soccer practice dance karati, etc you do not have time for more.

Oh... I am not saying you are necessarily wrong... a 15 year old doesn't need a cell phone... but that's where we have evolved to, isn't it? Instant Gratification is the norm. But, you have to realize that it's not just the "everyman's" fault. It is also... I would even venture so far as to say a ratio of.... 70/30 or perhaps 60/40.... the fault of big business and it's conspirator, Big banking's. Big business will convince you(through the medium of excessive advertising(you hear it enough times, it becomes truth), that you "need" their product... and big banking is more than willing to lend you the money on a little plastic card to get that product you "need so bad".

Sure... there are some(very few) that will resist temptation... but most will be suckered in to one extent or another to their ploys.

I mean... I'll even be willing to go as far as 50/50... But the truth is... money and power is on the conglomerate's side.... that's why I skew it slightly in their direction. They know most of us cannot afford it... but they don't care. Once the deal is done... it's no longer in their hands.

What a load of shit. Lol

Big biz is in our underwear now? Unreal

Is big biz also the reason your kitchen floor is dirty? Bastards.....

Are you really saying that it's businesses fault that you lack self control and can't resist temptation? And how did big business become big business after all?

the one and only reason there are families having less children is because they can PLAN THEIR PARENTHOOD today.....birth control pills. If married women in the 1950's had the ability to use birth control pills, to prevent all of their pregnancies, they would have used them, and would not have had 5, 7, 9 children....even if they could have afforded the children....

the Birth control pill was ILLEGAL until some time in the 1960's i think?

yes, i do agree that children are expensive today, but truthfully, without the use of the birth control pill, most married women, would end up being baby making machines, just like the old days.

When I asked my mother how come she had 5 kids, she said "Well, honey, by the time I figured out what caused it, I was addicted."

Seriously, I think we have fewer kids now because we were brainwashed in the 70's to limit our children to replacement value. There was all kinds of talk of over population and limited resources. No of course, our government has more than made up for our limiting our children by increasing immigration.
\

There are many reasons people are not having more kids these days, and you are correct that it isn't as cheap raising kids these days. However, I think there are more tangible reasons that should be looked at. Today, most women work, and if it is even close to a career type position, there just isn't enough time to devote to more than one or two kids, and this I believe, is the main reason. But it goes beyond women working. Today, every family must have at least two cars. They must have a television in every room. They need three or four computers, along with every fancy electonic gadget out there. And lest we not forget, a family of four cannot do with anything less than a 3000 square foot home with an in ground pool, and a huge yard, for which they must pay a lawn maintenance company to take care of because they are just too busy working and doing a million other things.

Now, let's take a look back; in the 50's and 60's, and even to a great extent the 70's, women stayed at home, so they could be there for their kids. Families only had one car, and probably only had one television. They had much smaller homes, for the most part, at least the average middle class family did, and it generally came with a smaller, more manageable yard. Most people had time to have a garden in their yard, so they would can many of their own fruits and vegetables, which helped cut food costs a great deal. And going out to eat, well that was reserved for very special occasions, rather than it being the norm. Today, a lot of people eat out more than they cook at home.

Life during those times was much more simple and conducive to having a large family. Not saying one is better than the other, but I think the changes in lifestyle that we have chosen have led to families being much smaller.

Forum List

Back