Here's a new type of electronic system.... see what you think.

Caligirl

Oh yes it is too!
Aug 25, 2008
George Washington University Department of Computer Science has helped develop over the past five years more secure paper ballot technology. Their newest method, called Scantegrity, combines the optical scan technology that more than half of the country will use in November with the option for voters to verify that their ballot was counted.

The university is now trying to market the system.

GWU doctoral student Stefan Popoveniuc, who wrote most of the code for Scantegrity, explained how the technology worked.

Voters use a familiar paper ballot to cast their vote, but they mark their choice with a special invisible ink pen. The pen darkens the bubble next to the chosen candidate so that the ballot can be read by the optical scan machine, but reveals a random two-letter code.

At the bottom of the ballot is a detachable receipt on which the voter can write in the codes of their choices, which are unique to their ballot.

Each receipt has a confirmation number on it, and to verify that the ballot counted, voters log onto a Web site and input the confirmation number. They can also compare their two-letter codes to make sure that their vote was counted in the way that they intended.

"If one of those is wrong, you raise hell. That's your job," said GWU assistant professor of computer science Poorvi Vora.

A highlight of Scantegrity technology is that it allows voters to be a check on the system as well as giving them peace of mind because they can still obtain a manual recount. Voters checking how their votes were counted would help prevent fraud and tabulation errors.

"This is a total paradigm shift from today," Mr. Popoveniuc said. Now, states purchase electronic voting machines, make sure they are certified and implement them, but something could still go wrong.

One of the fiscal benefits of Scantegrity is that it uses technology that many voting districts already have.

"We're not saying 'Out with the old, in with the new.' Keep the old," Mr. Popoveniuc said. Instead of purchasing costly machines, states spend some additional money for the special pens and see almost no increase in paper costs for the ballots.

I like the idea of being able to verify how my vote was counted, later.

I wonder if there is still a way for a crook to change the tabulation.

Washington Times - Electronic voting faces a backlash

Here's a problem:

At the bottom of the ballot is a detachable receipt on which the voter can write in the codes of their choices, which are unique to their ballot. Each receipt has a confirmation number on it, and to verify that the ballot counted, voters log onto a Web site and input the confirmation number.

This will allow a computer savvy person to determine how a person voted.

There certainly needs to be a paper trail, but there will always be ways for a 'crook' to change the tabulation.

Good point xsited.

Hmmm. I wonder if that is addressed by the fact that you don't have to check your ballot results, up to you, and of course computer savvy people can put up firewalls before checking their vote etc ....

Dillo - are you saying that raising hell should be someone else's job? ;)

Good point xsited.

Hmmm. I wonder if that is addressed by the fact that you don't have to check your ballot results, up to you, and of course computer savvy people can put up firewalls before checking their vote etc ....

nope---I'm just saying people won't do it.

True enough. I barely feel like dragging my sorry ass out to vote.

Brazil has the best electronic election system in the world .. open source software .. Linux-based .. cost efficient .. everybody gets to inspect it .. secure .. auditable .. and it's being replicated all over the world.

Brazil migrates voting machines to GNU/Linux - The INQUIRER

Linux was my first OS. What they're doing is good, but it can still be hacked. There is no way to make it completely secure, especially if you have access to the box. They also didn't say anything about a paper trail which makes me wonder if it's truly auditable.

Good point xsited.

The moment you put a unique code on a ballot, you lose the idea of a secret ballot.

Linux was my first OS. What they're doing is good, but it can still be hacked. There is no way to make it completely secure, especially if you have access to the box. They also didn't say anything about a paper trail which makes me wonder if it's truly auditable.

The entire system can be inspected by all concerned, including the software and firmware.

"The Tribunal Superior Eleitoral (the brazilian Election Supreme Court), officially announced on April 4th, 2008, that the brazilian 2008 elections will use 430 thousand electronic voting machines migrated from VirtuOS and Windows CE to GNU / Linux and open source softwares for security and auditing defined by proper law.

All open source and in-house developed software will be digitally signed and all loaded software will may be verified at voting places by inspectors at any time to check against tampering.

Special measures will be taken to reduce risks of breaking in by crackers, like no direct network connection to internet.

Random voting machines will be audited by TSE, political parties and external auditors.

Political parties software experts will have access to voting machines software from April to September, looking for problems and or point of improvements.

The six month auditing period is defined by article 66, first paragraph, law 9.504/97 , redacted by law 10.740/03."
TSE migrates to Linux / Linux blog / Tech Force - Linux Blog

Although I agree with you on a physical audit trail .. it would be the one improvement to the Brazilian system I would insist on.

Forum List

Back