Here Xi Comes

Anyone with something less STUPID to say on the matter?

I saw this yesterday and it interested me, so I set aside some time to do a little research. I’m glad I did, because so many important things are happening in this world right now. And everything is as deliberate as possible.

On Wednesday, Chinese officials are due to attend the signing in Des Moines, Iowa, of a purchase agreement for soybeans, the biggest single U.S. export to China. No details of price or size were announced.
Fox News - Breaking News Updates | Latest News Headlines | Photos & News Videos

A few things about Iowa’s agriculture sector:

- Iowa’s main outputs are hogs and corn.

- Iowa is the nation’s leading producer of ethanol.

Why is this relevant to China? The primary objective of state economic planners is usually to target low rates of inflation. From China’s Wikipedia entry:

Pork is an important part of the Chinese economy with a per capita consumption of a fifth of a pound per day. The worldwide rise in the price of animal feed associated with increased production of ethanol from corn resulted in steep rises in pork prices in China in 2007. Increased cost of production interacted badly with increased demand resulting from rapidly rising wages. The state responded by subsidizing pork prices for students and the urban poor and called for increased production. Release of pork from the nation's strategic pork reserve was considered.

…Inflation in 2007, reflecting sharply rising prices for meat and fuel, is probably related to the worldwide rise in commodities used as animal feed or as fuel. Thus rapid rises in the value of the yuan permitted in December 2007 are possibly related to efforts to mitigate inflation by permitting the renminbi to be worth more.
Economy of the People's Republic of China - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The US has strategic oil reserves so that oil price volatilities are less of a threat to ignite general inflation. China has strategic pork reserves:

Some nations have strategic oil reserves. Some keep grain reserves. China has both, and something others have somehow overlooked: a national pork reserve.
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/16/world/asia/16china.html?_r=1

That is how important the price of animal feed associated with corn ethanol is to China’s economy and that is why Mr. Xi will be in the US this week to close a deal with our leading producer of corn ethanol. I believe there’s a very good chance the US leveraged its market share of world ethanol in 2007 to spike Chinese inflation and force China to add value to the juan at a time when the US desperately needed to add value to the dollar prior to announcing TARP. It wouldn’t have been the first time the US has used agriculture prices to manipulate foreign relations.

So to answer the OP’s question, I think (hope) Xi can expect a quid pro quo from the US: we give China a price ceiling on corn ethanol if China agrees not to short the dollar. That agreement would go a long way in facilitating our economic transition from consumer to producer.

A visit from the soon-to-be head of state of an important nation is a "stupid question"?

A visit from the soon-to-be head of state of an important nation is a "stupid question"?

You did not say anything of substance with which a conversation could begin.

I posted a link to an article and opened the thread to discuss it, you fucking moron. You are obviously too stupid to discuss the topic, so shut the fuck up and go away.

He is coming here to get a close up view of us before they start WWIII in the Pacific in 5-15 years.

"Know your enemy." - Xi at a Chinese Buffet tonight.

Forum List

Back