Here we go again...Voodoo Economics, 2017 Edition

The Derp

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2017
When oh when will we finally break from the thinking that trickle-down economics is a viable economic proposal? It's been tried in many iterations since 1980, and every time it's failed to deliver on the promises made of it. Conservatives will say it's conventional wisdom that cutting taxes leads to an increase in revenues, but that conventional wisdom is bullshit on a fundamental, mathematical, and ethical level. As we saw throughout the early years of Reagan, throughout Bush the Dumber, and throughout the Brownback Cuts in Kansas, cutting tax revenues only increases deficits, which Conservatives then use as an excuse to cut the spending they lack the courage and support to repeal on their own. So they commit fiscal terrorism by blowing up the budget in order to push through their unpopular social agenda.

Wash, rinse, repeat. 37 years later, the GOP plan for taxes is the same as it was 37 years ago, which is the same as it was 16 years ago, which is the same as it was 5 years ago, which is the same as it is today; tax cuts for the rich, trickle-down "prosperity" and spending cuts for everyone else. No jobs. Massive debts. No growth. GOP/Conservative economics are a fallacy.

First Energy runs the Drammis Plant and generates electric in a poor little town called Stratown. 4 thousand people work there and receive paychecks. They need to eat, and the Smith's make delicious cabbage rolls and other good food, and they send lunch to the plant and the Smith's end up millionaires. The other restaurant owner prospers too. The poor little town starts booming. The Plant builds an indoor pool for them. Then they build a pretty little picnic park with an outdoor pool.
It does work.
And it collapses in reverse, too:
Plant starts laying off. No work, so people move out of Stratown. Only a skeleton crew works the plant and maybe not for long. The Smith's store is closed now. It was also the small grocery store. The post office closed. No money to maintain the pools, so..
Stratown is now a poor little town once again.

^ Obama economics.

Last edited:
  • Banned
Plant starts laying off. No work, so people move out of Stratown. Only a skeleton crew works the plant and maybe not for long. The Smith's store is closed now. It was also the small grocery store. The post office closed. No money to maintain the pools, so..

What does Obama have to do with the plat laying off? You've gone from saying the plant prospered, then you skip a bunch of time and jump to the plant closing. What happened in all that time in between? You realize you didn't actually say what Obama had to do with it, what the plant even was or did, yet you blame him for it. Why?

What does Obama have to do with the plat laying off? You've gone from saying the plant prospered, then you skip a bunch of time and jump to the plant closing. What happened in all that time in between? You realize you didn't actually say what Obama had to do with it, what the plant even was or did, yet you blame him for it. Why?

You are right, sorry. The first blow came from Clinton's NAFTA. The result is called the Rust Belt.
The second blow came from Obama's EPA.

• Banned
You are right, sorry. The first blow came from Clinton's NAFTA. The result is called the Rust Belt.

But I thought this was an energy plant...that produced energy. Isn't that what you were saying? So what does that have to do with NAFTA? Nothing.

YThe second blow came from Obama's EPA.

How so? What, specifically, did the EPA do under Obama to cause this plant to close? Put your money where your mouth is, don't just vomit up generalizations that are unsourced and unsupported. Be an adult.

When oh when will we finally break from the thinking that trickle-down economics is a viable economic proposal? It's been tried in many iterations since 1980, and every time it's failed to deliver on the promises made of it. Conservatives will say it's conventional wisdom that cutting taxes leads to an increase in revenues, but that conventional wisdom is bullshit on a fundamental, mathematical, and ethical level. As we saw throughout the early years of Reagan, throughout Bush the Dumber, and throughout the Brownback Cuts in Kansas, cutting tax revenues only increases deficits, which Conservatives then use as an excuse to cut the spending they lack the courage and support to repeal on their own. So they commit fiscal terrorism by blowing up the budget in order to push through their unpopular social agenda.

Wash, rinse, repeat. 37 years later, the GOP plan for taxes is the same as it was 37 years ago, which is the same as it was 16 years ago, which is the same as it was 5 years ago, which is the same as it is today; tax cuts for the rich, trickle-down "prosperity" and spending cuts for everyone else. No jobs. Massive debts. No growth. GOP/Conservative economics are a fallacy.
Dear Lord child, do you think you can take a complex issue and boil it down to anything dumber?

• Banned
Dear Lord child, do you think you can take a complex issue and boil it down to anything dumber?

There is no complexity to trickle-down economics. It literally means to cut taxes for the rich, and have the faith that they will trickle it down. So I actually made it more complex than it really is.

There is no complexity to trickle-down economics. It literally means to cut taxes for the rich, and have the faith that they will trickle it down. So I actually made it more complex than it really is.

It is more complex than that. for all your hatred of Reagan, I watched my father go from being put out of business by ridiculous tax codes to selling his business 2 years ago for a boatload of money. Typical left wing attitude, anyone that owns a business is super rich. Whether you like it or not, those of us that lived it had a distinctly different experience.

But I thought this was an energy plant...that produced energy. Isn't that what you were saying? So what does that have to do with NAFTA? Nothing.

How so? What, specifically, did the EPA do under Obama to cause this plant to close? Put your money where your mouth is, don't just vomit up generalizations that are unsourced and unsupported. Be an adult.

What I was saying was that this area has been hit with a double Democrat slaughter. The steel mills closed. No money trickled down from those companies that hired people who had to eat and buy gas and groceries, and buy houses close to work. You know, economic booming stuff. I can name some of the steel plants if you think I am being too "general", and as an adult, I have grown up here and watched the sources prosper due to need, and die because of politics.
The power plant in question had to sue the EPA, and turned to Trump to ease the restrictions that would have closed the plant. A plant that spent a billion $'s to make sure the energy was clean.
I lived it dumb ass. There is nothing generalized about it. Just dying communities, and political bullshit.
Turns out it is you who vomits generalized, erroneous, demo/economic bullshit.
In fact I bet your ass is jealous of the shit that comes out of your mouth.
^ I'll let you have the last word. :itsok:

Voodoo Economics Print, Barrow & Spends our way to exploding deficit, debt & prices! This robs from elderly & working poor. It causes unsustainable bubbles that destroys jobs.

Voodoo Economics = Massive Inflation
ch.gaschart

Forum List

Back