Here They Come

B

Big D

Speaking to a gathering of civil rights activists at the Community Building in downtown Spokane on Friday, the president of LULAC's Esperanza Council in Brewster, Wash., described the challenges facing minorities in Washington state and her struggle to achieve equality for Latino students in the Brewster Junior-Senior High School.

Maria Rodriguez-Salazar also said LULAC's relationship with the NAACP was a good fit because both organizations share the goal of seeking equality of education for minority students.

"We are coming together because of the issue of unequal practices and unequal treatment of children of color," Rodriguez-Salazar said. "We are not going to allow our children to be treated unfairly."

Across Washington, she said, Latino and African-American students score lower on standardized tests and are disciplined more often than white students.

As president of the Esperanza Council of LULAC, Rodriguez-Salazar has led parents in protesting a Nov. 6 meeting at the Brewster school at which Latino students were singled out to sign a behavioral contract threatening them with suspension or expulsion.

The parents' efforts in bringing the issue to the attention of state and federal authorities was the subject of a Feb. 1 article in The Spokesman-Review.

Frustrated by eight fights since the beginning of the school year, Principal Randy Phillips told the students their Washington Assessment of Student Learning scores were lower than those of Anglo students, they showed less respect for one another and they were bringing each other down, according to students quoted in the February report.

The superintendent of the Brewster School District, Kim Kelly, admitted missteps, but denied that Phillips had engaged in racism or racial profiling.

Since then, LULAC has asked the U.S. Department of Education's Office of Civil Rights to investigate the state of Latino education in Brewster, Rodriguez-Salazar said Friday.

"These kids continue to be harassed at school," she said.

In appearing at the installation of LeBlanc in Spokane, Rodriguez-Salazar said the situation in Brewster is not unique.

"Inequality in education is not just a Brewster issue," she said. "It's a state issue."

In accepting leadership of the Spokane council, LeBlanc said she would work "hand-in-hand" with the Spokane branch of the NAACP, and will seek its guidance.

LeBlanc said LULAC's presence in Spokane will help make the existence of the city's Hispanic community known.

"We are here," she said. "We are not going to go away."

Contacted by phone Friday night, V. Anne Smith, Spokane NAACP president, said the coalition with LULAC will be brought to a vote of the NAACP branch's executive board and if successful there, to the general membership. She said she supports the coalition and expects it to win approval.

"We are very much in agreement with LULAC on educational, social and economic equality for people of color," Smith said.

LeBlanc, who said she will stand for election as LULAC's president when the Spokane council has built up its membership, asked for the support of the small crowd gathered Friday night.

"Enlighten me and empower me," she said, "so I can help Spokane's Hispanic community."

How dare a school official be honest with a bunch of punks. Maybe they're disciplined more because they're acting like a bunch of thugs. Nice to see the Hispanics and Negroes are coalescing their alliance already.

This is my favorite statement:

"Across Washington, she said, Latino and African-American students score lower on standardized tests and are disciplined more often than white students".

It is not just across the state of Washington, it is across the whole U.S.

Originally posted by Big D

"Across Washington, she said, Latino and African-American students score lower on standardized tests and are disciplined more often than white students".

Because of racism and oppression from the white devil.

"Bow down before me, oh pigmented horde!"

D is really pissed his racism thread was closed lol. I hope the Northwest gets overran with Mexicans and Central Americans, would be awesome karma.

Jimmy clarified the policy. It's ok to say whatever they want but it has to be fairly relevant to the topic of the thread or the current discussion. No posting in on a thread with "I bet that guy was a mexican."

Originally posted by OCA
D is really pissed his racism thread was closed lol. I hope the Northwest gets overran with Mexicans and Central Americans, would be awesome karma.
I hope a family member of yours gets attacked by a mexican, that would be awesome karma.

Originally posted by OCA

Hey, easy now... not all of us who live up here are blind racists like Big D.

*post edited*

Big D, that was quite uncalled for. I have stood up in the past and defended you as you seemed to stay away from the personal attacks.

This post clearly went over the line. Please don't let it happen again.

Originally posted by jimnyc
Big D, that was quite uncalled for. I have stood up in the past and defended you as you seemed to stay away from the personal attacks.

This post clearly went over the line. Please don't let it happen again.
I think personal attacks show a sign of weakness, and I rarely ever resort to that.
You have never deleated any of the personal attacks that have been posted against me, which does not bother me, I knew you had to let them personaly attack me because you thought I was the stronger in the debates.

Kind of like how it's OK for blacks to insult whites, but not the opposite.

Originally posted by gop_jeff
I'm assuming you have a point to make. Is is that 40% of those convicted of crimes in WA are minorities? Or that they commit more crimes in the first place?
Both of your statements are correct.

I think personal attacks show a sign of weakness, and I rarely ever resort to that.
You have never deleated any of the personal attacks that have been posted against me, which does not bother me, I knew you had to let them personaly attack me because you thought I was the stronger in the debates.

Big D, I can't possibly read every post on this board, which is why I have other moderators as well.

If something personally offends you, send me a PM and I will take care of it.

Lol stronger in the debates hahaha

You attacked my wife, not me but my wife. Find me a post where I attacked somebody other than you. If you want to attack me fine i'm a big boy I can handle it but be warned don't ever bring my family members into anything again.

I guess you have not read this whole thread, you saying that you hope more hispanics move into the Northwest is a threat to every family in the Northwest.

As far as your wife, I belive her being married to you is insult enuff.

You are such a fucking imbecile, you know how many Hispanics are in the Northwest already propping up your weak economy? If they leave say goodbye to the Northwest because ain't no more logging as a big employer, its the farms who employ people and if Hispanics leave the whites are too friggin lazy to pick up the slack so say bye to the farming industry, after that nothing left but the survivalists and the hippies because I don't see Bill Gates giving you a job at Microsoft anytime soon.

Face it you are a scared little person who probably jumps at his own shadow, didn't amount to much and is pissed so minorities are a convenient scapegoat for ya huh.

You have lost alot of credibility in the last few days as it seems you have no other intelligent thoughts other than everything is the fault of Hispanics. Hell at least even Willie posts on other things every once in a while but you, you are stuck in reverse.

Anyway its been nice talking to ya as i'm betting your time left here is short seeing as you are about to implode. :cof:

It is a misconception to say that Hispanic immigrants are "propping up the economy." They are doing no such thing. After they take their wages, and after social services are paid for, they are a net drain. This is to say nothing of the cultural disruption caused by the, ah, different approach to education.

In my city, predominately minority schools are miserable, but not because "evil whitey" is underfunding them, but because student behavior is violent and unruly. That is, when they do show up. Abseenteeism is chronic.

How do OCA and gopjeff explain that as "devil whitey's fault"? I mean, if the little black and Hispanic children were so eager to learn, you'd think they'd at least bother showing up to school, even if devil whitey stuck 'em with raggedy books. But that's not what's going on here.

What's going on is that the education system in America was built by whites and for whites, and is traditional for our people going back centuries. For other groups, sitting in school has not been a tradition for centuries. Also, differences in inherited IQ mean that black children especially will never score at the level of whites. Thus, all the screaming about "racist" disparities in scores are unfair to whites, who then must be shortchanged on resources themselves so that we can continue to waste money on people who will never benefit.

Arthur Jensen of the U. of California pointed this out in the late 1960s, but it has never become part of the discourse.

New Topics

Forum List

Back