Here is the problem with the healthcare debate at the moment

Discussion in 'Healthcare/Insurance/Govt Healthcare' started by GHook93, Feb 7, 2011.

1. GHook93

GHook93 Aristotle

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,932
    The Republicans are protraying themselves as saviors from Obamacare and want to get us back to status quo (or a few talking point changes that will do little - like tort reform and buying across statelines).

Obamacare might not be the answer, but our system is a fucking mess and needs to be changes ASAP. Most Americans are one sickness or injury away from losing everything! Medical bills are still the leading cause of bankruptcy! Healthcare is still outrageously expensive! Ditto for health insurance. Pre-existing conditions puts the people that really need healthcare in no win situation. Health insurance coverage puts our corporations and small businesses at a HUGE disadvantage in the global market.

I repeat, going back to what it was is NOT ideal or acceptable.

You say the Republicans are proposing a repeal and replace bill. Sorry if I don't trust them, because they did have both houses of Congress and the Presidency for 6 years and a good economy, with low unemployment during the Bush years and they did DICK!

• Thank You! Thank You! x 3
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2011
  2. syrenn

syrenn BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,404
    How about the simple idea that now is not the best time for social experimentation.

just a thought.

3. Oddball

Oddball BANNED Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Drinking wine, eating cheese, catching rays
    Ratings:
    +8,409
    The biggest problem with the debate is the underlying presumption that the best way to pay one's medical care bills is via a third party.

4. midcan5

midcan5 liberal / progressive

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,306
    There are always good excuses for not getting off the couch and moving forward.

"Material poverty provides the incentive to change precisely in situations where there is very little margin for experiments. Material prosperity removes the incentive just when it might be safe to take a chance. Europe lacks the means, America the will, to make a move. We need a new set of convictions which spring naturally from candid examination of our own inner feelings in relation to the outside facts." John Maynard Keynes
    >

5. Oddball

Oddball BANNED Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Drinking wine, eating cheese, catching rays
    Ratings:
    +8,409
    Unfortunately, platitudes and silly-assed quotations don't constitute "getting off the couch and moving forward".

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  6. RDD_1210

RDD_1210 Forms his own opinions

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,018
    Can you elaborate on this "social experimentation"?

7. Bern80

Bern80 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +726
    There are all kinds of problems with the health care debate. One of them, and case in point here, would be the misrepresentation of what the right wants. No we don't want the status quo. Another would be that you seem to believe that doing something, anything, is always better than doing nothing. I have heard this from two people now on this board, you and RDD. "Well I really don't like most of the bill either, but hey it's something, so that's good, right?" WRONG!

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2011
  8. RDD_1210

RDD_1210 Forms his own opinions

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,018
    Again, you're putting words in my mouth. I wish you would read what I actually type. I said the bill isn't perfect, but it's certainly better then what we had before the bill. That's quite a bit different than "I don't like most of the bill".

9. BenMarbleMD

BenMarbleMD BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +21
    the primary problem is that DOCTORS have NO VOICE in the debate (hint the AMA does NOT represent doctors they represent BIG PHARMA and that is why the majority of MD's do NOT belong to the AMA)

10. GHook93

GHook93 Aristotle

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,932
    I have never stated that do something or anything is the solution, but remaining at status quo is definitely not the answer. The Republicans had Congress during Clinton's Presidency and did nothing. Then they had it during Bush's Presidency and did nothing. So when I say they are OK with status quo and you say they aren't, I point to their actions and what they dictate!