Here is the Prez in all his glory

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Psychoblues, Dec 1, 2003.

1. Psychoblues

Psychoblues Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +143
    I seriously differ with you, gop_jeff, on a number of points that you've made here but the one that strikes me as the most inaccurate is the last that you attempt to make.

There were no "cushy" gigs in Viet Nam. Some more comfortable, I guess you could say, but none were cushy. Even the photographer/journalist gig that Gore had was pretty damn miserable and doubly dangerous as his face was in his camera or on his journal whilst the firepower was going on around him. Check the records. Photo/journalists and medics really got the wrong end of the deal in Viet Nam.

There were, however, cushy gigs during that time and they were not located in Viet Nam. Some were found in Fort Worth, Texas and it was widely known then, amongst the political elite, that only the politically connected were considered for those war jamms. I guess Al could've got one of those but he enlisted although he was qualified for an officer's position and he let the chips fall where they may. Even then I think he could've avoided the Viet Nam thing altogether but he didn't. He went unashamed and without fear and without political interference. It would certainly be nice to know that our present CiC was so brave and would've shunned his available political connections. But that is not the case, now is it?

2. 5stringJeff

5stringJeff Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +545
    Psycho,

Allow me to amend my statements... Al Gore's job was cushier than most. And camera or not, it's not like he walked point on a seek-and-destroy mission.
    And if Al Gore was qualified for an officer billet (I doubt his leadership capabilities were sufficient, but that's just my opinion), why not take it?
    However, it is intellectually dishonest to think that a Senator's son didn't get any preferential treatment when it came to MOS selection, location, etc.

3. lilcountriegal

lilcountriegal Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +60
    Al Gore enlisted in the Army in August of 1969, choosing a two year enlistment rather than the normal three year enlistment (two years is the length those drafted served). He was not sent to Vietnam until the very end of 1970, only SEVEN MONTHS before his scheduled enlistment ended. Gore was assigned a position as reporter covering the activities of the 20th Engineer Brigade in Bien Hoa, South Vietnam. Obviously, this was a non-combat position, and some of those who served with Gore reported that their superiors requested Gore "should cover only military operations where security was good."

During his 1988 presidential campaign, Gore issued flyers showing a picture of himself with an M16, which created the false impression that he served as an infantryman, even though his only real combat experience was interviewing other GIs who really had been in combat.

Gore filled his position with the 20th Engineers for 5 mos. Army regulations at that time allowed early discharge of personnel who wanted to teach or attend school if their services were considered "not essential to the mission." As a reporter, Gore was certainly not "essential" to the war effort, and he applied for such a discharge. After spending an additional month at the U.S. Army Engineer Command in Long Binh, Gore was mustered out and sent home two months early to attend Vanderbilt Divinity School.

Yeah... thats definitely something to write home about. :rolleyes:

4. Psychoblues

Psychoblues Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +143
    I would've chosen college if that had been available to me. Or Canada if I knew more about Hwy. 51. But I joined up. I don't regret it other than many of my friends from high school were already well on their ways to lifelong careers and even married with immediate families to provide for when I got back home. I sucked it up and rejoined several years later. The military was my home.

Al Gore had no cush gig as you imply. That is most certainly a political falsehood. He sucked it up, never asked for special treatment in any way and did his duty. It has never been demonstrated that he asked for or received any special treatment of any kind. Just slanderous accusations by those who do not know and wish to advance the propaganda that our current CiC would like them to believe. He may have been protected within his unit but HE never requested that. I protected a few when I could. Al Gore is as straight up as any human being I've ever met. I've met GWB as well. He ain't 'zactly straight up, IMHO.

5. mwbuccs

mwbuccs Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I spent the U.S. surplus and bankrupted the US Treasury.

this means that the jews don't have the spending power THROUGH our governemnt, he handed it back to small business americans.

he gets my vote in 2004.