Herbalife like Scientology, but who first invented this marketing oriented sects?

AlexIta93

Rookie
Feb 26, 2015
Hi to everyone. This is my first post on this site other than my presentation, I'm not even sure that I'm writing in the right section.

I'm italian, so I apologize for my mistakes.

I noticed similiarities between some aspects of Herbalife and Scientology (and there's a bit of "The Secret" style too, I think).

A totalizing way of life that convinces you that only inside the group you will find happyness, richness (which is pretty the same in their indoctrination - and this is an ideology that The Secret has too), you will solve your problems that they say you have, etc.

You are induced to get other people join the group, you will waste a lot of money just to enrich the ones who are higher than you in the piramid, you start to value a person based to their position in Herbalife / Scientology, you begin to distance yourself from your friends, etc etc.

Shortly, a sect. But a peculiar one, with richness, healthy way of life (nutritional or psychological) and "self made man" ideas as core values. A distorted "self made man" idea, like "willpower is everything, life is simple if you know these things, you are one of us and you commit yourself to this cause".

Online criticism of these groups is often followed by pro-herbalife or scientologists which comment "I will press charge against you for defamation", "you are misinformed and envious because our life is better than your".

There are a lot of other similiarities but I hope that this is sufficient to understand what I'm trying to say.

As an italian I think to recognize a clearly american style in this sects. I'm not saying this is the american way to think etc., but that this is the "evil" that can come from the seeds of the american culture (every culture has its own deteriorated forms I think).

My question is: who first invented this "marketing oriented" sects? Which group is it? Is it still active?

Thank you for your attention.

Alex

Multi-level marketing (MLM) companies have been around for a long time in the USA, going back to the 1930s with Nutrilite. In the 1960s, the Avon Ladies got going. Then MLM really took off huge with Amway in the 1970s.

Why is it more an American thing? I'd guess

1. A less stringent regulatory environment in the USA.

2. That association of MLM with religiousity, with the USA being a more religious area.

I think there's an "affinity scam" element to it. "I'm in the same group as you, I'm like you, therefore you can trust me."

Religious organizations aren't the only groups out there, but they are the most common type, so that's where people tend to get exposed to the MLM. But I've also seen, for example, a retired fireman pitching his MLM to other firemen. So, any social group can serve the same purpose. However, with a religious group, it's easier for MLM recruiters to use lines like "God wants you to be rich, you just have to have faith" or "I know that God put me here to help you."

In the USA, MLM-central is the state of Utah, where basically everyone belongs to the same church. They've also got that base of Mormon missionaries who just spend two years overseas learning the language and how to sell a religion. Perfect MLM staff.

Hi to everyone. This is my first post on this site other than my presentation, I'm not even sure that I'm writing in the right section.

I'm italian, so I apologize for my mistakes.

I noticed similiarities between some aspects of Herbalife and Scientology (and there's a bit of "The Secret" style too, I think).

A totalizing way of life that convinces you that only inside the group you will find happyness, richness (which is pretty the same in their indoctrination - and this is an ideology that The Secret has too), you will solve your problems that they say you have, etc.

You are induced to get other people join the group, you will waste a lot of money just to enrich the ones who are higher than you in the piramid, you start to value a person based to their position in Herbalife / Scientology, you begin to distance yourself from your friends, etc etc.

Shortly, a sect. But a peculiar one, with richness, healthy way of life (nutritional or psychological) and "self made man" ideas as core values. A distorted "self made man" idea, like "willpower is everything, life is simple if you know these things, you are one of us and you commit yourself to this cause".

Online criticism of these groups is often followed by pro-herbalife or scientologists which comment "I will press charge against you for defamation", "you are misinformed and envious because our life is better than your".

There are a lot of other similiarities but I hope that this is sufficient to understand what I'm trying to say.

As an italian I think to recognize a clearly american style in this sects. I'm not saying this is the american way to think etc., but that this is the "evil" that can come from the seeds of the american culture (every culture has its own deteriorated forms I think).

My question is: who first invented this "marketing oriented" sects? Which group is it? Is it still active?

Thank you for your attention.

Alex

The Roman Catholic Vatican Institution (biggest gov / business cartel on earth pretending to be a Church) and their military arm - the Jesuits / mafia / illuminati & free mason branches - have been behind every evil, diabolical plan that has come along I find -murder of 900 Jews at Masada, murder of 11 million during holocaust, murder of 68 million people during their inquisitions, most of the European Wars, World War I,II, and the next one coming, they infiltrated every group out there including scientology so I am guessing it probably began with the one of them. When it comes to the Vatican & their Jesuits? It doesn't get any more evil than that. IMO.

Last edited:
Shame on me, I thought it was Hitler and not the Church who started WWII! I absolutely need to get informed in more and more sourceless blogs!

Forum List

Back