herb gardens in containers

Kiki Cannoli

Have you met my shadow?
May 27, 2011
Really south of the border
1. Hope is right forum
2. I live in a different zone than most, so yes it is my season to ask

I know that combining some with others is a risk.

My questions are:

Hanging vs. Ground planters: difference?

Fertilize?

Seed or buy clippings?

Your input is appreciated.

1. Hope is right forum

My questions are:

Hanging vs. Ground planters: difference?

Fertilize?

Seed or buy clippings?

The region you live in will dictate some things but...

after years of expertise in this field and as an accomplished city gardener, I learned a few things.

Animals visit your yard (deer, squirrels, dogs, cats, birds,...)?

Areas where plants will be...open sun all day, shade, windy conditions like a roof deck, porch with lots or limited direct sunlight, time of day the plants will get sun light?

Soil conditions in containers is important depending on weather/temp zone. Watering and soil mix and container material.

I used to be the go to guy for containers and hangers along with window boxes and other planters...

give me an idea of what you want to do and what you have space for...

Last edited:
Cha cha cha Chia Pet...

chia-herb-garden.jpg

I am in a tropical zone just north of the 32.

I have a walled off small gatden space with mostly indirectlight.

The garden exposure is entirely east west with only late afternoon soon lazily trying to br direct. But no can do.

My insect concerns are moths palmettos and termites.

The wall is 15 ft high

Point being the space is conttolled.

I have direct watet access. The space is directly adjecent to my kitchen. Thus my desire for an herb garden.

Kiki is a great cook.

Thanks in advance.

1. Hope is right forum

My questions are:

1) Hanging vs. Ground planters: difference?

Fertilize?

Seed or buy clippings?

1) All containers above ground (you can bury containers in the ground and people do in areas where seasons change or in areas of limited space) have sides exposed to elements, sun and shade, cold and heat. Containers usually need lots of watering. In cold climates containers can crack and break. They can bake roots. they dry out more easily with different soils mixtures, and depending on certain materials the pots and planters are made out of...

Hangers can be more exposed to wind and are usually plastic and contain light weight soil mixtures, all make for drying out more easily. If a planter is bone dry I would soak it in a larger container filled with water as a remedy, or water will run off plant as it is hard like concrete. On a bone dry planter hanger, water will never get to the center where the plant's roots will rot.

I am in a tropical zone just north of the 32.

I have a walled off small gatden space with mostly indirectlight.

The garden exposure is entirely east west with only late afternoon soon lazily trying to br direct. But no can do.

My insect concerns are moths palmettos and termites.

The wall is 15 ft high

Point being the space is conttolled.

I have direct watet access. The space is directly adjecent to my kitchen. Thus my desire for an herb garden.

Kiki is a great cook.

Thanks in advance.
My experience in socal has taught me that indirect light in the south is like direct light up north. LOL

If there is a wall and you can hang pottery or planters on the wall, it would look cool and add character to the wall. all sorts of ideas on how to hang planters out there. I used to put metal framed window boxes with cocoa shell linings on walls, but that particular lining would attract insects where you are.

If you like pottery, buy some shallow and wide pots, and some tall pots. Some herbs like deep pots because of root growth. SOme herbs grow very well together in wide pots.

I like the idea of large pots that have flowering plants and herbs mixed. Use marigolds to keep out certain insects.

Keep most herbs from flowering by pinching them as many plants think it is time to go to seed when flowering. I used to have separate pots with flowering herbs for show and others pinched back for growth and taste.

Last edited:
Gracias amigo

Pretty much what i invisioned.

I wrote more but it got deleted. :mad:

anyway, go with what you desire. the most fun I ever had was experimenting and not taking failure as a bad thing.

Stay away from all the how to shit. go with instinct and observation and you will enjoy every taste of your very own herbs

:cool:

WOW.... look at that... Dante is actually helping!!! OMG!!

OK... what he says is correct.... containers dry out FAST!!!

try using this if you can find it ..... a soil with built in polymer.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Miracle-Gro-Moisture-Control-Potting-Mix/dp/B000BZ1IBE]Amazon.com: Miracle-Gro Moisture Control Potting Mix - 1 Cubic Foot: Patio, Lawn & Garden[/ame]

or add polymer to standard soil. Soak a tablespoon in a gallon of water before you mix the polymer into the dirt.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dlawngarden&field-keywords=soil+polymer]Amazon.com: soil polymer: Patio, Lawn & Garden[/ame]

I am a huge fan of miracle grow plant food. I think it makes a big difference if you feed your plants... especially if they are in containers.

I have never had good luck with seeds.... so i always get plants that have been started.

Forum List

Back