Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth's Diamond Jubilee

tigerbob

Increasingly jaded.
Oct 27, 2007
Michigan
Enjoying the festivities on BBC America. A slice of home from a long way away.

220px-Can-Diamond-Jubilee-logo.jpg

Many congratulations Ma'am.

BBC News - Diamond Jubilee: Guide to the weekend of events

Earth has not anything to show more fair:
Dull would he be of soul who could pass by
A sight so touching in its majesty:
This City now doth like a garment wear
The beauty of the morning; silent , bare,
Ships, towers, domes, theatres, and temples lie
Open unto the fields, and to the sky,
All bright and glittering in the smokeless air.
Never did the sun more beautifully steep
In his first splendour, valley, rock, or hill;
Ne'er saw I, never felt a calm so deep!
The river glideth at his own sweet will:
Dear God! the very houses seem asleep;
And all that mighty heart is lying still!

I toyed with the idea of going up to London today - my brother's crash pad would have been an ideal place to watch the festivities... but I had too much to do.

You guys sure know how to do that whole 'pageantry' thing though. Pretty impressive display along the river.

I really loved those 'Dunkirk' boats... I read up on Dunkirk recently... awesome achievement. Brave little island, your England.

Many of the historic Dunkirk 'Little Ships' in the Thames flotilla. My Great Uncle was evacuated from Dunkirk in 1940. Wonder if it was in one of those boats.....

I toyed with the idea of going up to London today - my brother's crash pad would have been an ideal place to watch the festivities... but I had too much to do.

You guys sure know how to do that whole 'pageantry' thing though. Pretty impressive display along the river.

My former place of work in London (until 2008) was right on the river, between Waterloo and Blackfriars bridges. 10th floor roof terrace would have been a great place to watch this.

Are these guys going to be appearing at the "festivities"?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeP220xx7Bs"]The Sex Pistols - God Save The Queen - YouTube[/ame]

Many of the historic Dunkirk 'Little Ships' in the Thames flotilla. My Great Uncle was evacuated from Dunkirk in 1940. Wonder if it was in one of those boats.....

Gotta say, that whole 'Dunkirk' thing gave me a whole new respect for your island. You are an exceptionally brave bunch - such a small island, such a massive global impact. And, I do like the Queen. She's incredible for her age... sure, she's had a privileged life but she has given a lot to the country in return, I think. Pity y'all have Charles to look forward to. :lol: William is gonna rock as King.

Gotta say, that whole 'Dunkirk' thing gave me a whole new respect for your island. You are an exceptionally brave bunch - such a small island, such a massive global impact. And, I do like the Queen. She's incredible for her age... sure, she's had a privileged life but she has given a lot to the country in return, I think. Pity y'all have Charles to look forward to. :lol: William is gonna rock as King.

I really have no problem with Charles, though I suspect I'm probably in the minority. My brother knows them all quite well (shoots with them even now and again). Says Charles is very intelligent and well informed, and apparently very pleasant in person, once you've got used to him.

I really have no problem with Charles, though I suspect I'm probably in the minority. My brother knows them all quite well (shoots with them even now and again). Says Charles is very intelligent and well informed, and apparently very pleasant in person, once you've got used to him.

I think he kinda blew his popularity with the whole 'Diana' thing. I just don't see how he can be as loved as his Mom clearly is. He should take a pass on the crown and hand it straight over to Wills... that guy is clearly adored by the people... he has his mother's way about him. Watching him and Kate earlier reminded me of Diana.

I think he kinda blew his popularity with the whole 'Diana' thing. I just don't see how he can be as loved as his Mom clearly is. He should take a pass on the crown and hand it straight over to Wills... that guy is clearly adored by the people... he has his mother's way about him. Watching him and Kate earlier reminded me of Diana.

I hear a lot of people say that but seriously, I wouldn't want it. Once he becomes King his life would effectively be over and he becomes the property of the State. I think he deserves to have a life first.

Also, we've had one King in relatively recent history who betrayed his responsibility and dropped it on someone who was unprepared. You'll find there is a lot of bitterness still in the Royal Family about that, though arguably less since the Queen Mother died.

I'm not really a monarchist or royalist. I prefer a republican form of government. And all the show around the monarchy also looks greatly overdone to me.
That being said, I have no problem wishing the Queen well and congratulating her on doing a very great job for 60 years. I don't begrudge the British their party and they certainly know how to throw one.

I'm a staunch monarchist, but I will say this: I'm sick to my back teeth of seeing Prince William and Kate Middleton on the front pages of just about every single British newspaper all the time. Ever since they got married they can't blow their noses without being snapped and appearing in the papers under sychophantic headlines, which all but insist that we take notice and adore them. I know they part of the Royal Family and William's a close heir to the throne an' all, but this is beginning to take the piss.

I'm a staunch monarchist, but I will say this: I'm sick to my back teeth of seeing Prince William and Kate Middleton on the front pages of just about every single British newspaper all the time. Ever since they got married they can't blow their noses without being snapped and appearing in the papers under sychophantic headlines, which all but insist that we take notice and adore them. I know they part of the Royal Family and William's a close heir to the throne an' all, but this is beginning to take the piss.

:lol::rofl::lmao::rofl::lol:

Not living in Britain any more I don't see the headlines on a daily basis, but...

1. It doesn't surprise me
2. Sounds like the whole Diana paparazzi-palooza all over again
3. I'd be sick to my back teeth as well (and I'm a pretty firm monarchist too)

The Queen has displayed a great amount of grace and dignity throughout her Reign. It's not surprising that she is so beloved by the British.

Forum List

Back