Hepatitis C research and treatment updates

Discussion in 'Health and Lifestyle' started by waltky, Jun 10, 2011.

1. waltky

waltky Wise ol' monkey Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,865
    New meds for Hep C...
    :confused:
    New Drugs Promise Higher Cure Rates for Hepatitis C
    June 10, 2011 - Medications recently approved for use in the US

2. waltky

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,865
    Gov'ts challenged to do more against hepatitis...
    WHO: Hepatitis toll 'in millions'
    28 July 2011 - Hepatitis is diagnosed by blood tests

3. jimsmith

jimsmith Jim Smith

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Known as the silent killer as you do not get symptoms for years it is also very difficult to treat. Drug companies are producing new treatments but they are very expensive!!!

4. waltky

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,865
    The CDC is recommending a one-time blood test to check for the virus...
    US baby boomers urged to take hepatitis C blood test
    18 May 2012 - US baby boomers have been advised by health officials for the first time to get tested for the liver-destroying virus hepatitis C.

5. waltky

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,865
    Sugar 'to shape synthetic liver'...
    :cool:
    3D-printed sugar network to help grow artificial liver
    2 July 2012 : Researchers have moved a step closer to creating a synthetic liver, after a US team created a template for blood vessels to grow into, using sugar.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  6. waltky

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,865
    Up to 180 million people are infected with hepatitis C...
    :eek:
    Spread of hepatitis C pinpointed
    31 January 2013 - Scientists say they have, for the first time, worked out the pattern of spread of hepatitis C, showing early diagnosis is key to preventing epidemics.

7. American_Jihad

American_Jihad Flaming Libs/Koranimals

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,247
    Hepatitis C: A 21st Century Success Story

(Op-Ed)Dr. David Bernstein, North Shore-LIJ Health System
    Date: 22 May 2013 Time: 03:38 PM ET

Since the approval of boceprevir and telaprevir, drug development has been progressing rapidly. Many studies are evaluating the use of second-generation protease inhibitors, polymerase inhibitors and NS5A inhibitors in various combinations to treat all different types of patients with hepatitis C. In addition to new agents, shorter durations of therapy (eight or 12 weeks) and interferon-free, all-oral regimens are in development.

It is highly probable that an all-oral regimen for the treatment of hepatitis C genotype 2 and 3 will become available late this year or in early 2014, with similar efficacy as that of interferon-based therapies, but with fewer side effects and a shorter course. It is also likely that a new, second-generation protease inhibitor — simeprevir — and a first-in-class oral nucleotide analogue polymerase inhibitor — sofosbuvir — will be approved in early 2014.

Both of those new agents are given once daily and will be approved for use in hepatitis C genotype 1 in combination with interferon and ribavirin. The treatment duration for the new simeprevir-containing regimen will likely be 24 to 48 weeks, while the regimen with sofosbuvir will likely last 12 weeks. Neither of those new agents have any significant side effects, and cure rates should be higher than currently approved triple therapies.

After simeprevir and sofosbuvir are approved, many even newer agents are likely to come to market. It seems clear that all-oral therapy for the treatment of genotype 1 should be available sometime in 2015 or 2016. Compared to current regimens, all of the newer therapies offer higher cure rates, shorter duration of therapy and fewer side effects. A lot of work is underway to determine the best possible therapy for specific groups of patients. For example, specific regimens will likely be developed for each genotype, for patients with cirrhosis, for patients with kidney disease and for those who have had a kidney transplant.

With any luck, in the next decade, medical science should be able to treat and cure more than 90 percent of hepatitis C patients. The greater challenge is identifying patients — because most remain undiagnosed — and educating medical providers about the new therapies. Hopefully, the CDC screening guidelines will help. In addition to their other advantages, the newer therapeutic regimens may prevent the development of cirrhosis, liver cancer and the need for liver transplantation. The treatment and cure of hepatitis C will be one of the 21st century's major medical success stories.

Bernstein's disclosures are as follows:

Hepatitis C: The End of a Silent Epidemic | Op-Ed | LiveScience

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. waltky

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,865
    VA not claimin' credit for Hepatitis 'miracle' drug...

VA Concedes It Had No Role in Developing Hepatitis 'Miracle Drug'
    Mar 11, 2016 | The Department of Veterans Affairs has no interest or ownership rights to what's been called a "miracle drug" for curing hepatitis C, the department said on Thursday.
    See also:

2 US Military Members Get Zika Virus; Both Recovered
    Mar 11, 2016 | WASHINGTON -- Two members of the U.S. military were diagnosed with the Zika virus, but have recovered and are back on duty, the top U.S. military commander for South America said Thursday.

9. Sunni Man

Sunni Man Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,444
    A little over 2 years ago, during a routine blood test for my annual physical at the VA.

It was discovered that I was positive for Hep C and must of had it for years/decades in its dormant stage. I never exhibited any symptoms. I was in complete shock because I didn't inject illegal drugs or frequent prostitutes, which is how most people acquire Hep C.

Come to find out, people who were born between 1945 to 1955 and Vietnam vets are at high risk to be infected with the disease. (I'm a veteran and was born in 1950) So I fit the profile.

Anyway the VA set me up with the new miracle drug that has around a 97% cure rate. Before this new drug the cure rate was about 50% and involved 1 year of very difficult treatments with a lot of severe physical and mental side affects.

All I had to was take a pill once a day, everyday, for 12 weeks. The pills cost a $1,000 each. ($84,000 total) Thank God I'm veteran and could get the treatment thru the VA health care system. Because I don't have 84 grand laying around in the bank.

The only side effect was that in the middle of the treatment I became extremely anemic for a couple of weeks. One day I was walking to my car in a store's parking lot and ran out of energy. I had to crawl on my hands and knees the last 30 feet to reach it and get inside. Not everyone taking the treatment gets as anemic or fatigued as I did. But other than that episode, and loss of appetite, it wasn't too bad.

Three months after the treatments, my blood work didn't show any traces Hep C in my liver, and the Doctor said she considered me totally cured. ....... :thup:

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2016
  10. waltky

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,865
    New pill can treat all forms of hep C...
    [​IMG]
    FDA approves first pill to treat all forms of hepatitis C
    Jun 28,`16 | WASHINGTON (AP) -- Federal health officials have approved the first pill to treat all major forms of hepatitis C, the latest in a series of drug approvals that have reshaped treatment of the liver-destroying virus.

• Informative Informative x 1