Henry Louis Mencken speaks from beyond the grave

I didn't expect you to have anything more than a non-sequitur to offer...

Unkotare has a point - HLM was a satirist and critic more than a philosopher.

I agree everyone has a philosophy. It seems Mencken followed Nietzsche for his, but I think he turned it into an ideology more than a philosophy. Mencken was a fairly rigid thinker.

HLM quote on philosophers: Philosophy consists very largely of one philosopher arguing that all others are jackasses. He usually proves it, and I should add that he also usually proves that he is one himself.

K

Last edited:
I doubt very much Henry turned a love of all things Nietzsche into an ideology

I've often thought his views on individualism were heavily influenced by Nietzsche, but I'm no expert on either of them.

By the way, I wasn't using the term 'rigid' as a value term - more like descriptive, as I intended no negative by saying.

Unkotare has a point - HLM was a satirist and critic more than a philosopher.

I agree everyone has a philosophy. It seems Mencken followed Nietzsche for his, but I think he turned it into an ideology more than a philosophy. Mencken was a fairly rigid thinker.

HLM quote on philosophers: Philosophy consists very largely of one philosopher arguing that all others are jackasses. He usually proves it, and I should add that he also usually proves that he is one himself.

K

Taking HLM out of context is no better than taking Thomas Jefferson out of context

Forum List

Back