Henry Ford, antisemitism, and the American Right

In the 1920's almost everyone was anti-Semitic. This was true until the early 1960s when attitudes began to change. Look at Gentlemen's Agreement if you doubt that.
Ford was especially so. But he was not particularly representative of "the Right". Both "RIght" and "Left" have changed so much since the 1920s that they are not identifiable with anything called that today.
But the posters saying the Left is the source of anti semitism today are correct. Go to any university campus and watch the "anti-Israel" rallies. They are filled with hateful venom against "Israel" that would have been right at home in any anti semitic diatribe any time. You never see that among COnservatives.

pathetic pretent rabbi apparently thinks the left hates jews but john birchers and the kkk and skniheads, his brothers in rightwingnutty insanity love jews.

what an embarrassment to jews :cuckoo:

I'm hoping we can discuss this dispassionately.

Does anyone know when and why the Right pushed antisemitism from the party's mainstream into the neo-nazi fringe?

Save Pat Buchanan, who is sympathetic to the Holocaust Denial movement, one can no longer find vocal antisemitism on the Right.

The old American Right was filled with a small, but very vocal coalition of people who did not trust Jews or Israel. I'm talking about the days when Jews were not allowed into country clubs. I'm talking about the days of Henry Ford.

Why are so many on the Right now afraid to be openly antisemitic and openly anti-Israel? This is not a rhetorical question or snarky potshot designed to call people on the Right closet antisemites -- I realize that the majority of people on the Right today are not antisemitic.

Can anyone explain how and why the party evolved away from antisemitism?

I'm trying to figure out if Cold War anti-Communism -- which invested heavily in Israel as a geopolitical asset -- was the reason for the shift. That is, once the party needed Israel to fulfill its visionary globalism (where Washington emerged as the chief facilitator and benefactor of the global market system), it was forced to keep antisemitism alive only on the margins, where it could still be used to agitate the base, e.g., Nixon's Liberal Jewish Media. [Of course, the true rightwing antisemite will tell you that Washington is Israel's puppet, not the other way around. They think the world is secretly run by a conspiracy of soulless Jewish bankers (-this is exactly what the Medieval Church and then Hitler said). Interestingly, you will not see the mainstream right denounce this conspiracy because it is candy for their uneducated base, who, in exchange for their electoral support, are given a political outlet for hating gays, Mexicans, Muslims, Jews, blacks, etc., etc.]

**I'm assuming people here are familiar with European antisemitism, and the way Jews were seen as Christ killers who were a plague on Christian culture. The Medieval church was ferociously anti-Jewish. Jews were literally constructed as agents of the devil because they rejected Jesus' revelation. Antisemitism in Europe calcified into a commonsense banality that affected generations of Christians. Christians in America were not immune to this.

Because, Londoner, in the word of your Bard

POLITICS MAKE STRANGE BEDFELLOWS​

But the posters saying the Left is the source of anti semitism today are correct. Go to any university campus and watch the "anti-Israel" rallies. They are filled with hateful venom against "Israel" that would have been right at home in any anti semitic diatribe any time. You never see that among COnservatives.
Being opposed to the current government of Israel doesn't make a person anti-semitic.

That is just typical Zionist spin used to obfuscate Israel's apartheid and fascist policies. :doubt:

pathetic pretent rabbi apparently thinks the left hates jews but john birchers and the kkk and skniheads, his brothers in rightwingnutty insanity love jews.

Like Birchers and skinheads are representative of the conservative movement i this country.
You really are a piece of work, "councillor." I'd suggest getting in touch with your heritage (assuming you are even Jewish, which I doubt), getting your head out of your anal orifice, and looking around.

Are you speaking of today, Charles? Where do you see anti-semitism in the left now?

It's there. The Democratic Party is inclusive. That means that along with the liberals and all the other groups, you will also have racists and uneducated, those that dismiss science and even conservatives. It's why it's a coalition party. The good comes with the bad.

Unlike the Republicans. 90% white, mostly Christian. They hate nearly everyone equally.
more proof you are the fucking moron i call you

I am a REPUBLICAN, rdean. So are many of my friends and people I admire, and I am SICK TO DEATH of being accused by you of being a bigot.

Put up or shut the fuck up.

I'm still trying to figure out how the democrat party pushed their racism from the party's mainstream to the lunatic racist fringe. Al Gore's father, senator Al Gore was a segregationist. Democrat senator Harry Byrd who died last year was some sort of grand kleagle in the KKK and used the "N" word in public during his entire career.
Who was Harry Byrd

I assumed he meant Robert Byrd, Political Junky. And he was indeed a raging bigot.

I am a REPUBLICAN, rdean. So are many of my friends and people I admire, and I am SICK TO DEATH of being accused by you of being a bigot.

Lefty loons like rdean only know how to call names and point fingers.

Because in reality, they have No solutions to any problems.

So they just talk loud and accuse the opposition.

Hoping some one will think they are intelligent and take their brat rants seriously. :cool:

In the 1920's almost everyone was anti-Semitic.

Yes, I agree, this was far more prevalent then than now.

This was true until the early 1960s when attitudes began to change. Look at Gentlemen's Agreement if you doubt that.

I would have said attitudes began to change after WW II, but okay.

Ford was especially so. But he was not particularly representative of "the Right".

If you mean Ford was not a politican, true. If you mean his brand of anti-semitism found no eager listeners among other conservatives, I disagree.

Both "RIght" and "Left" have changed so much since the 1920s that they are not identifiable with anything called that today.

I agree.

I googled "anti-Israel rally US college campuses" and found this excellent article:

The Top Ten Anti-Israel Groups in America: Introduction

The groups do not seem to me to be student-based, for the most part. I see nothing that would suggest these groups' memberships are all liberals. And not for nothing, The Rabbi, but a person can oppose some policies of Israel -- and can even support the creation of a Palestinean nation -- without being an anti-semite. Many Jews in the US have been critical of Israel from time to time, and that does not render them self-haters or anti-zionists.

Israel is beautiful, but not perfect.

Last edited:

Hoping some one will think they are intelligent and take their brat rants seriously. :cool:

I am prolly to the left of rdean politically, Sunni Man. Some of his posts are very well-thought out. He is clearly intelligent and why he clings to these stereotypes just baffles me.

I am prolly to the left of rdean politically, Sunni Man. Some of his posts are very well-thought out. He is clearly intelligent and why he clings to these stereotypes just baffles me.
dont confuse the stuff he copy&pastes with his own words
when hes not doing the C&P stuff he is not very bright

Today's American & European Leftists are far more Anti Semitic/Anti-Israel than today's Right Wing/Conservatives are. Most Conservatives/Right Wingers are actually staunch supporters of Israel. This cannot be said for most of today's American & European Leftists. Most of the hate i observe being expressed towards Jews/Israelis comes from wild-eyed Lefty nutters. Hey just my observations though.

Contrary to your supposition one can find fault with Israeli policies and not hate Jews, Lad.

Like Birchers and skinheads are representative of the conservative movement i this country.
You really are a piece of work, "councillor." I'd suggest getting in touch with your heritage (assuming you are even Jewish, which I doubt), getting your head out of your anal orifice, and looking around.

they are as representative of the conservative movement as the far left is of the democrats. careful who you get into bed with... they hate you more than they hate blacks and latinos and muslims, pretend rabbi.

it would be nice if you were half as smart as you think you are. then we wouldn't all be laughing at you. *shrug*

and one of the great things about being me... is i'm not you. :woohoo:

now go ahead and show what a classless pretend jew you are and tell me again, in yiddish, to "blow [you]", loser.

Last edited:

they are as representative of the conservative movement as the far left is of the democrats. careful who you get into bed with... they hate you more than they hate blacks and latinos and muslims, pretend rabbi.

it would be nice if you were half as smart as you think you are. then we wouldn't all be laughing at you. *shrug*

now go ahead and show what a classless pretend jew you are and tell me again, in yiddish, to "blow [you]", loser.

How long did it take you to Google the reference, "counselor"?
You are a shonda of gross proportions. You contribute nothing here but lies, stupidity, ignorance and invective. You have a paper thin skin that makes you neg rep anyone who dares to disagree with your insipid point of view.

The Left's anti-semitism is proven and documented. Trying to associate the KKK etc with modern Conservatism is a failure. Like you.

What a shame, an interesting convo about history shot to hell by a tool.

I told you. Jillian has nothing to contribute.

Anti-semitism was alive and well into the 1960s. There were plenty of hotels, apartments, etc etc that would not take Jews.
But Ford, Father Coughlin and others really have little to do with today's conservatives, who owe more to the old Democratic Party.

How long did it take you to Google the reference, "counselor"?
You are a shonda of gross proportions. You contribute nothing here but lies, stupidity, ignorance and invective. You have a paper thin skin that makes you neg rep anyone who dares to disagree with your insipid point of view.

The Left's anti-semitism is proven and documented. Trying to associate the KKK etc with modern Conservatism is a failure. Like you.

and yet, i'm the one who's pretty well-regarded here, you're considered a loser.

how's that for a "shonda".

oh.. i just tried. you can't get the translation by google. or at least i just couldn't.

but then again, you're a jealous pretend rabbi and i don't have to justify anything to anyone as lowlife as you.

again, one of the great things about being me... and not you.

but it is cute how badly you want my attention.

does it get you rep from other rightwingnut loons?

:cool:

and you'll get off the computer and STILL be a loser.

so there ya go

Forum List

Back