Henny-Penny and Rummy

D

Darwins Friend

April 21, 2003

Of the many surreal things I've heard during Gulf War II, this exchange by Donald Rumsfeld and a reporter last week has to top the list:

DONALD RUMSFELD: The images you are seeing on television you are seeing over and over and over, and it's the same picture of some person walking out of some building with a vase, and you see it 20 times and you think, "my goodness, were there that many vases?" (Laughter) Is it possible that there were that many vases in the whole country?

REPORTER: Do you think that the words "anarchy" and "lawlessness" are ill-chosen...

DONALD RUMSFELD: Absolutely. I picked up a newspaper today and I couldn't believe it. I read eight headlines that talked about chaos, violence, unrest. And it just was Henny-Penny, "the sky is falling." I've never seen anything like it. And here is a country that's being liberated, here are people e going from being repressed and held under the thumb of a vicious dictator, and they're free. And all this newspaper could do, with eight or ten headlines, they showed a man bleeding, a civilian, who they claimed we had shot... one thing after another. It's just unbelievable how people can take that away from what is happening in that country. Do I think those words are unrepresentative? Yes.

My first reaction was: Is it possible I just heard him blow off the looting of national treasures?

My second reaction was: Henny penny! Who talks like that?

Seriously, I thought the whole thing was made up. It didn't make any sense. Apparently Rumsfeld, when he's in haste to debunk his critics, ends up talking like my grandmother.

(He's used this term before, apparently. The Betty Fnord Clinic offers this example.)

At first I thought he'd gotten the metaphor wrong. Wasn't it Chicken Little who thought the sky was falling? But I checked and Henny-Penny is, indeed, another character in that (rather tiresome) story.

http://www.kittyjoyce.com/azender/log/archive/000547.html :arabia:

And your point would be.......

In typical liberal fashion, you discount the content of the message by attacking the messenger.

Darwins Friend said:
April 21, 2003

Of the many surreal things I've heard during Gulf War II, this exchange by Donald Rumsfeld and a reporter last week has to top the list:

DONALD RUMSFELD: The images you are seeing on television you are seeing over and over and over, and it's the same picture of some person walking out of some building with a vase, and you see it 20 times and you think, "my goodness, were there that many vases?" (Laughter) Is it possible that there were that many vases in the whole country?

REPORTER: Do you think that the words "anarchy" and "lawlessness" are ill-chosen...

DONALD RUMSFELD: Absolutely. I picked up a newspaper today and I couldn't believe it. I read eight headlines that talked about chaos, violence, unrest. And it just was Henny-Penny, "the sky is falling." I've never seen anything like it. And here is a country that's being liberated, here are people e going from being repressed and held under the thumb of a vicious dictator, and they're free. And all this newspaper could do, with eight or ten headlines, they showed a man bleeding, a civilian, who they claimed we had shot... one thing after another. It's just unbelievable how people can take that away from what is happening in that country. Do I think those words are unrepresentative? Yes.

My first reaction was: Is it possible I just heard him blow off the looting of national treasures?

Seriously, I thought the whole thing was made up. It didn't make any sense. Apparently Rumsfeld, when he's in haste to debunk his critics, ends up talking like my grandmother.

(He's used this term before, apparently. The Betty Fnord Clinic offers this example.)

At first I thought he'd gotten the metaphor wrong. Wasn't it Chicken Little who thought the sky was falling? But I checked and Henny-Penny is, indeed, another character in that (rather tiresome) story.

What is your problem with this?

The national treasure statement?

Or because he said, "Henny Penny."

You must really be stretching to find controversy.

BFD.

GotZoom said:
What is your problem with this?

The national treasure statement?

Or because he said, "Henny Penny."

You must really be stretching to find controversy.

BFD.

You mean you poor guys didn’t see his latest press conference? Are you that out of touch? :lame2:

What the fuck do you want him to say? "Yea Iran is controlled by a fucking maniac, and we will most likely have to bomb his ass to stop him."

Of course public figures are going to say that they are not planning a war.
Of course our Department of Defense is going to plan and prepare for a war that is likely to happen.

theHawk said:
What the fuck do you want him to say? "Yea Iran is controlled by a fucking maniac, and we will most likely have to bomb his ass to stop him."

Of course public figures are going to say that they are not planning a war.
Of course our Department of Defense is going to plan and prepare for a war that is likely to happen.

Beautiful. Point Missed: 100% (did you even bother linking to the video)?

Darwins Friend said:
Beautiful. Point Missed: 100% (did you even bother linking to the video)?

Pretty funny video lol. Was exactly as I expected it to be.

So what again is the point of this thread? We are headed to war with Iran? And?

Darwins Friend said:
April 21, 2003

He was right:

http://hnn.us/roundup/comments/7580.html

Forum List

Back