Hemp, a clean Renewable fuel source

matty

SUMbodyweedemOUT
Jun 17, 2008
Chapter 9: Clean Renewable Fuel

Farming only 6% of the continental U.S. with biomass would provide all of America’s oil and gas energy needs, thus ending our dependence on fossil fuels. Hemp is the number one net biomass source on Earth: capable of producing 10 tons per acre in four months.

THIS from WIKI: [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hemp]

The decision of the United States Congress to pass the 1937 Marijuana Tax Act was based in part on testimony derived from articles in newspapers owned by William Randolph Hearst, who had significant financial interests in the timber industry, which manufactured his newsprint. The background material also included that from 1880 to 1933 the hemp grown in the United States had declined from 15,000 to 1,200 acres (4.9 km²), and that the price of line hemp had dropped from $12.50 per pound in 1914 to $9.00 per pound in 1933.[19][20] In 1935, however, hemp would also make a significant rebound.[20] Hearst began a campaign against hemp, and published stories in his newspapers associating hemp with marijuana[21] and attacking marijuana usage.[22] As a result of the act, the production and use of hemp was discontinued.

Last edited:
i wasnt even aware that hemp had such a high cellulose content. thanks for pointing this out

i wasnt even aware that hemp had such a high cellulose content. thanks for pointing this out

I couldn't believe the strength of the fibers, wow! If you see Hemp Revolution, though it's a bit wacky here and there, it'll likely surprise you.

~And you're welcome.

I find it amazing that we aren't allowed to harvest our forests, but people think it's okay to mow them down, plant pot, and harvest that.

I find it amazing that we aren't allowed to harvest our forests, but people think it's okay to mow them down, plant pot, and harvest that.

Not where I'm at.

I wonder what percentage of the land would we really need? We had some 8,000 hemp plantations here at one time. Before Hearst did his thing.

I wonder what freaks would rather pepper the country with Nuclear plants...

pot and hemp arent the same. and where was the suggestion to cut down all the forests for hemp? it actually can be used as a replacement for lumber in many cases.

Hemp

Farmers sue DEA for right to grow industrial hemp - CNN.com

Checkin' that out!

And, thanks, everyone thinks we'd just have fields of pot everywhere for the smoking. lol

~Also, damn right it can replace lumber and has even been innovated recently into some new building material called, I believe, Isochanvre; it's foreign, naturally. A sort of cement replacement, more Green, reportedly significantly stronger.

Yep, here's a link on it: http://www.azom.com/details.asp?ArticleID=2040

Last edited:
Not where I'm at.

I wonder what percentage of the land would we really need? We had some 8,000 hemp plantations here at one time. Before Hearst did his thing.

I wonder what freaks would rather pepper the country with Nuclear plants...

it would be impossible to build as many nuclear plants as mccain would like. the plants being built in europe are experiencing large delays due to supply and labor shortages. and we'll be able to build 45 by 2030 (and 100 at some point after)? not to mention the problems and hazards of disposing of the waste. my jaw dropped when he said that.

You sound just like the liberals whining about oil refineries hurting the environment. No one said forests had to be cut down anyway. You don't need to clear forests to grow marijuana. The shit will grow in your backyard grass as long as you provide it enough light and water. Contrary to some people's beliefs, marijuana will grow almost in spite of itself.

Here's an AWESOME alternative to fossil fuels and petrochemicals, and you find anything you can to complain about. Figures.

it would be impossible to build as many nuclear plants as mccain would like. the plants being built in europe are experiencing large delays due to supply and labor shortages. and we'll be able to build 45 by 2030 (and 100 at some point after)? not to mention the problems and hazards of disposing of the waste. my jaw dropped when he said that.

It's getting hairy over here. Bioweapons plants, too.

You've thrown me back into looking at the Nuk plants, though...gonna go look around.

I've been an advocate of hemp usage for a long time now. It can literally replace many different industries in this country, and that's the main reason why it's illegal for any usage, let alone smoking.

The lobby power of corporate America would never allow for Congress to legalize hemp for productive usage. It's pretty sad, really.

You sound just like the liberals whining about oil refineries hurting the environment. No one said forests had to be cut down anyway. You don't need to clear forests to grow marijuana. The shit will grow in your backyard grass as long as you provide it enough light and water. Contrary to some people's beliefs, marijuana will grow almost in spite of itself.

Here's an AWESOME alternative to fossil fuels and petrochemicals, and you find anything you can to complain about. Figures.

That's right. So Very renewable, it'll grow Anywhere under any conditions, practically. Nations that can't rely on their soil have been known to plant hemp to eat the seed. Still do. I think Bangladesh once relied on it Heavily, til they signed some BS treaty with us after the drug war began.

But hemp is badass.

You are so incredibly full of it.

You can't grow it in any meaningful way unless you have huge amounts of land devoted to it. I mean, we agree it does need LAND to grow, right? I don't think a bunch of stoners growing it hydroponically are really going to make much of a dint on the energy requirements of the US.

As with any crop, to grow it, you need clear land. Do we have clear land? Yes. It's being used to grow FOOD CROPS. Do you suggest we eliminate the food crops to grow hemp?

Or do you suggest we clear land to grow hemp? If we're going to clear land for hemp, my question stands...why the hell don't we just harvest our TREES for cellulose? They certainly can produce more than annual plants.

I've been an advocate of hemp usage for a long time now. It can literally replace many different industries in this country, and that's the main reason why it's illegal for any usage, let alone smoking.

The lobby power of corporate America would never allow for Congress to legalize hemp for productive usage. It's pretty sad, really.

Sad? It's plain infuriating because it effects so many industries, so many environmental things, while petro chem giants and other conflicting interests are even allowed to conspire to keep things as they are.

Criminalization keeps the money flowing up. It's sick.

You are so incredibly full of it.

You can't grow it in any meaningful way unless you have huge amounts of land devoted to it. I mean, we agree it does need LAND to grow, right? I don't think a bunch of stoners growing it hydroponically are really going to make much of a dint on the energy requirements of the US.

As with any crop, to grow it, you need clear land. Do we have clear land? Yes. It's being used to grow FOOD CROPS. Do you suggest we eliminate the food crops to grow hemp?

Or do you suggest we clear land to grow hemp? If we're going to clear land for hemp, my question stands...why the hell don't we just harvest our TREES for cellulose? They certainly can produce more than annual plants.

Allie, you don't get it. First off, I never insinuated that stoners are going to be the source of hemp production. I'm pointing out that you don't need to clear land the way you would for food crops. Food crops need good fertile soil so they produce quality yields. Hemp only needs to GROW, period. It doesn't need cultivated soils, like food crops. You can stick seeds in any type of sandy loam, preferably, and grow your hemp. You don't need to worry about soil quality, because it's not like your trying to harvest buds with high THC content. You are taking the fibers, and that's it.

I'm sure you were once a farmer who grew hemp, performed studies for prestigious universities and all, but you are talking out your ass here.

Weed is called weed for a reason. It's a fucking WEED. It doesn't need cultivated, specially prepared farm land. It just needs DIRT. Look around you, it happens to be everywhere.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back