Help

I think it is just one dang system file that got corrupt. If I had that PC in front of me I would scan the registry and clean it, stuff like that, I'm not a tech and while I'm good sitting in front of my PC giving instructions over the phone is so different. My brain cannot go fast enough or something. LOL

I think it is just one dang system file that got corrupt. If I had that PC in front of me I would scan the registry and clean it, stuff like that, I'm not a tech and while I'm good sitting in front of my PC giving instructions over the phone is so different. My brain cannot go fast enough or something. LOL

Helping out over the net or phone is always tougher. When in front of a computer I can remember things I forgot if I am trying to fix it, but trying to help explain it to someone else is always a struggle for me. You may have the tech gene and not even know it. ;) The way to identify it is if you can sit at a computer and just make things work without even knowing how you do it. That's why I got into programming in the first place, I sat at the first Apple IIe my school had (sixth grade) and just started ... programming. I had nothing else but a book of programs from the library. Seems though that most of the people who work in the tech field do not have the geek gene, they're either nerds or people who cheated their way through school.

Everything I learned or know on a PC is from trial and error through my tinkering. *laugh*

I use to only know DOS and now I'm like blank when it comes to that. I have an old book somewhere with all the prompts in it but I can just search on the internet for it.

I once too didn't have drivers after I did a fresh install and Add new Hardware wouldn't find it either. What I did? I just searched old disc I had and tried each one. LOL I got it to work. Oh what a few nights of missed sleep that was. Of course this was back in 97.

Everything I learned or know on a PC is from trial and error through my tinkering. *laugh*

I use to only know DOS and now I'm like blank when it comes to that. I have an old book somewhere with all the prompts in it but I can just search on the internet for it.

I once too didn't have drivers after I did a fresh install and Add new Hardware wouldn't find it either. What I did? I just searched old disc I had and tried each one. LOL I got it to work. Oh what a few nights of missed sleep that was. Of course this was back in 97.

Yep ... you've got the geek gene. ;)

I reprogrammed my Win98 machine ... made it look like XP but using only half the memory XP did .. that was fun. I was bored and homeless at the time so too much spare time on my hands.

I just hate not being able to help someone though. It is like losing your keys and you cannot stop looking for it. Bugs me a lot.

My downfall area is networking believe it or not...that part I just don't want to learn so I never did. Like reading a boring book, you get to chapter two and set it down never to finish it.

There was this one game I use to play on my apple 2c and wish I could have it now. It was kind of stupid but I liked it. Stock Market type game. I made millions on that game. Fake of course.

I just hate not being able to help someone though. It is like losing your keys and you cannot stop looking for it. Bugs me a lot.

My downfall area is networking believe it or not...that part I just don't want to learn so I never did. Like reading a boring book, you get to chapter two and set it down never to finish it.

There was this one game I use to play on my apple 2c and wish I could have it now. It was kind of stupid but I liked it. Stock Market type game. I made millions on that game. Fake of course.

Networking isn't as hard as it seems, I had to learn it in order to make my other programming skills useful. Turns out much of it is automated now, you can get to the nuts and bolts slowly instead of having to learn all of it at once.

I can't find any good stock market games for anything now ... that's a game I use to love to. I've tried the abandonware DOS stock market game, but that one sucked. Maybe I'll write one in Java for the hell of it once I finish a few tweaks on the card game I wrote.

You played that game too? It was so much fun, I played zelda too but blah. Gosh, remember how 32kb was awesome amount? Oh gosh...how funny. Back in 1999 I had a garage sale and had that apple 2c for sale with everything. A lady came up, looking at it, and asked "is that internet ready" It was really hard not to laugh but I managed to not and told her. No, this computer is a collector's item and is basically a type writer at best. She passed on it.

You played that game too? It was so much fun, I played zelda too but blah. Gosh, remember how 32kb was awesome amount? Oh gosh...how funny. Back in 1999 I had a garage sale and had that apple 2c for sale with everything. A lady came up, looking at it, and asked "is that internet ready" It was really hard not to laugh but I managed to not and told her. No, this computer is a collector's item and is basically a type writer at best. She passed on it.

Oh ... and remember when SSD was a big "new" technology? I had a laptop from the 80's that was nothing but four SSD's and a CPU ... it was fun to tinker with but you couldn't do much with it. Oh, and TRS-80 was my very first personal computer that I owned ... the COCO II, with a floppy drive hooked up to the cartridge slot, 512K ... wow ...

One time I went into a shop that specialized in old computers, he had one of the original 8" floppies that held 512 BYTES! It was cool.

Oh ... and remember when SSD was a big "new" technology? I had a laptop from the 80's that was nothing but four SSD's and a CPU ... it was fun to tinker with but you couldn't do much with it. Oh, and TRS-80 was my very first personal computer that I owned ... the COCO II, with a floppy drive hooked up to the cartridge slot, 512K ... wow ...

One time I went into a shop that specialized in old computers, he had one of the original 8" floppies that held 512 BYTES! It was cool.
My sister had that one I believe the TRS-80. Made my apple 2 c look like a toy. hehehe

You know when the PC's came out with 200 mhz I said to a friend "they will get to be gigs one day" Never knowing that would be the name.

When I said Gig though I was thinking Gazillion mhz. :lol:

My sister had that one I believe the TRS-80. Made my apple 2 c look like a toy. hehehe

You know when the PC's came out with 200 mhz I said to a friend "they will get to be gigs one day" Never knowing that would be the name.

When I said Gig though I was thinking Gazillion mhz. :lol:

If only the quality of the processors would keep up with the speed increases though, the faster they make them the easier it is to blow them now though. I would actually prefer a slow but stable and tough processor to these feather tough ones. I have an old 586 processor in one laptop ... the damned thing is more than 15 years old ... but managed to blow out two laptop processors within months of buying them (thus why it took me so long to finally get back on my feet from homelessness). It's insane ... we make them smaller and faster but their quality is getting worse.

KK that is with everything these days. It is so much easier to just buy a new one when it is broke. Manufacture's know this and and play to it.

I agree with KK's position...he has 2 hard drives, the msn tech had him partion them, he then installed XP Pro in one of the partitions and renamed it "C" thus it boots when the computer is started. What was his RAID configuration?

If both hard drives were "paralleled" that is a RAID 0. A RAID 1 is the mirroring of the other drive. This may have something to do with his current problem if this was altered in some way when the partition was created.

Personally I would have him go back to a system restore point before the tech screwed up his system and when his Internet Explorer was functioning correctly, then start over with a simpler problem.

Last edited:
We really think now it was a bad virus. He just ordered a new pc so hopefully if he sends me the hard drive I can check it out to see for sure.

This crap really pissed Me off.

Tell your friend to throw away the computer and get an abacas because he is to fucking stupid ot have a computer.

Windows is popular for one reason only. It is the easiest O/S on the planet to use. Every mothers son can turn on a computer with Windows and gain access to everything they need including games and the internet.

Right out of the fucking box!

I will never, ever, ever, ever understand morons who can't even keep a windows box running. Particularly with XP. Simplest O/S in the world to run and keep clean.

Okay......Seriously...I'm better now.

This rant brought to you by Sam Adams Boston Ale.....

So?

Umm...what was the problem again?

Tell your friend to throw away the computer and get an abacas because he is to fucking stupid ot have a computer.

Windows is popular for one reason only. It is the easiest O/S on the planet to use. Every mothers son can turn on a computer with Windows and gain access to everything they need including games and the internet.

I will never, ever, ever, ever understand morons who can't even keep a windows box running. Particularly with XP. Simplest O/S in the world to run and keep clean.

So?

... and that's just stupid. Us programmers spent decades working to make computers user friendly for everyone, first of all, second of all just because someone chooses an inferior OS for whatever reason doesn't mean they are computer illiterate. Like people who wear flipflops ... they just like it for some reason. ;)

So?

... and that's just stupid. Us programmers spent decades working to make computers user friendly for everyone, first of all, second of all just because someone chooses an inferior OS for whatever reason doesn't mean they are computer illiterate. Like people who wear flipflops ... they just like it for some reason. ;)
Define inferior.

How many linux boxes or even Macs are a simple to use to the every day joe as a windows box? You have to remember. About 1/1000 of 1% are geeks like us. The rest of the world just wants to post pics on Myspace and videos on youtube, share pictures with their friends, send some email and play a few games.

Its not like they are asking their 'puters to project telemetry or anything.

In the end, those people who bash windows are usually the people who don't use windows for what it was intended to be used for.

Beginners!

So?

Define inferior.

How many linux boxes or even Macs are a simple to use to the every day joe as a windows box? You have to remember. About 1/1000 of 1% are geeks like us. The rest of the world just wants to post pics on Myspace and videos on youtube, share pictures with their friends, send some email and play a few games.

In the end, those people who bash windows are usually the people who don't use windows for what it was intended to be used for.

Beginners!

Since we have moved focus as programmers to making Linux more user friendly and ditched helping MS anymore ... you must admit that it's a lot easier for "normal" computer users now ... about as easy as Windoze 3.1 but with more features than even Windoze 7 has. ;) Since the shift of programmer contributions to Linux and Mac and no contributions to Windoze ... notice Windoze keeps getting worse? The only reason Windoze got so user friendly was because of programmers contributing to it, the only reason it was popular was because of the business genius that pushed it ... now MS has neither of those, the business genius is retired and us programmers are not happy with the new direction they are going ... but we are looking at Mac in a whole new light and decided to finally ... finally ... make our OS more user friendly ... now we have Ubuntu ... making Linux for human beings ... this is not the end, this is not the beginning of the end ... this is the end of the beginning. Computers have a long way to go as a whole, but ... who makes the interfaces work? Not the money holders, not the sales reps, not the advertising agencies ... us geeks.

Define inferior.

Beginners!

Since we have moved focus as programmers to making Linux more user friendly and ditched helping MS anymore ... you must admit that it's a lot easier for "normal" computer users now ... about as easy as Windoze 3.1 but with more features than even Windoze 7 has. ;) Since the shift of programmer contributions to Linux and Mac and no contributions to Windoze ... notice Windoze keeps getting worse? The only reason Windoze got so user friendly was because of programmers contributing to it, the only reason it was popular was because of the business genius that pushed it ... now MS has neither of those, the business genius is retired and us programmers are not happy with the new direction they are going ... but we are looking at Mac in a whole new light and decided to finally ... finally ... make our OS more user friendly ... now we have Ubuntu ... making Linux for human beings ... this is not the end, this is not the beginning of the end ... this is the end of the beginning. Computers have a long way to go as a whole, but ... who makes the interfaces work? Not the money holders, not the sales reps, not the advertising agencies ... us geeks.
Oh, I don't agree at all!

Get back to Me when all the other systems combined reach even 20% of the windows share and that includes software and third party vendors.

Take for instance just the market for hardware drivers.

No one, and I mean NO ONE has as many drivers for as many pieces of hardware as windows. And with 99.8% of those drivers working correctly every time they are installed, I'd say that the other systems have years of work to do just to catch up on that area alone!

People want to throw stuff on their computers, have it work reasonably well and then move on in their lives without having to think about the 15 command line commands they have to type exactly just to get their firewire multi-port to work.

I'm all for bringing other O/S's online, but My daughter brought it home to Me just the other night when she was complaining about her Unbutu laptop that her pastor installed because he doesn't like having to pay for an O/S like windows.

She isn't a geek and he is. She can barely run anything and if something goes wrong, her system is down for days until I get time to fix it. And I am not the worlds foremost authority on any linux box! The same problems can be fixed relatively easy in windows because just about everything works in windows.

Sorry. I prefer better computers, and there are better systems out there then windows, but I simply don't see the irrational hatred most people have for Windows. Its like the TV.

Don't like what is on? Turn the channel instead of complaining about the programing...

Define inferior.

Beginners!

Oh, I don't agree at all!

Get back to Me when all the other systems combined reach even 20% of the windows share and that includes software and third party vendors.

Take for instance just the market for hardware drivers.

No one, and I mean NO ONE has as many drivers for as many pieces of hardware as windows. And with 99.8% of those drivers working correctly every time they are installed, I'd say that the other systems have years of work to do just to catch up on that area alone!

People want to throw stuff on their computers, have it work reasonably well and then move on in their lives without having to think about the 15 command line commands they have to type exactly just to get their firewire multi-port to work.

I'm all for bringing other O/S's online, but My daughter brought it home to Me just the other night when she was complaining about her Unbutu laptop that her pastor installed because he doesn't like having to pay for an O/S like windows.

She isn't a geek and he is. She can barely run anything and if something goes wrong, her system is down for days until I get time to fix it. And I am not the worlds foremost authority on any linux box! The same problems can be fixed relatively easy in windows because just about everything works in windows.

Sorry. I prefer better computers, and there are better systems out there then windows, but I simply don't see the irrational hatred most people have for Windows. Its like the TV.

Don't like what is on? Turn the channel instead of complaining about the programing...

Wow ... you are uninformed and not even close to a geek. Everything I buy I just plug and play ... with one exception ... and I have a lot of accessories attached. As for the system going down ... that pastor is not a geek either, Ubuntu requires a reboot from me once in a great while ... usually only when I update the kernel ... sometimes I leak too much memory in a program I am writing ... but that's about it. Either you are using a really old Ubuntu or have the setup completely fucked up.

As for "irrational hatred" for Windoze ... no, you have it wrong, you are reading more into what people say. Most Linux users, like me, are simply saying you now have another option for non-Apple computers, it's MS that's trying to smear Linux, they even train employees at sales points to lie about Linux ... a lot. As for your drivers ....as I said, almost every driver that exists in Windoze exists in Linux now, with a few exceptions only because the hardware companies are MS controlled. It would surprise you to know that drivers for new hardware are often only a tiny bit different than the old stuff ... which MS won't support old tech, Linux will, because us Linux programmers know that all you have to do is change a few settings to the old drivers to get them to work with new hardware so why drop support for old tech?

You know as much about OSes and programming as Shogut at this point. I am betting you don't even know what a header file does.

Though there is one problem, old laptops do not like Ubuntu, something between the Xorg and the laptop hardware doesn't gel right ... and there is no need to worry about it for one reason, there are other options. Puppy Linux for one, is a new growing project for older machines specifically, and what runs in Ubuntu will also *gasp* run in Puppy! Thing is though, I know a work around for all the problems, very easy ones actually.

Forum List

Back