Help!

Care4all

Warrior Princess
Mar 24, 2007
Maine
We have a cat who we spoil and love dearly...she is 12 years old, she has been our only kitty.

about a month a go, a loose dog....looked like a lab and golden retriever mix was making a huge ruckus down by our pond....i couldn't see cuz the trees were in the way...so i thought maybe it was a squirrel the dog was barking like a maniac at...i was just stepping in to the shower and when i got out, the dog had stopped barking so i thought my neighbor has gotten his dog locked back up again....so then i hear the dog again, going crazy and i hear splashing in the lower end of the pond, still can't see what was going on though....

well, to make a longer story short, there is this soaking wet kitten, maybe 5 months old...black and white, i tried to approach it and it jumped in to the shallow pond to get away from me and ran like the dickens when it got to the other side...

SOOOOO,

I put some dry food out there and he came back every night, to wolf it down but would not get near me or matt...very jumpy, we did not even know if it was a male or female at that point, then about 2 days ago, with Chicken we got the cat to come to us and then the next day he was ALL OVER US, with head butting and rubbing and purring...still jumpy, with one little move, but very loving and sweet.

My cat of 12 years absolute hates this cat...through the glass door, seeing him on the porch, she screams with this God awful noise at the top of her lungs. We have never let the ferrel in the house...but have let abbey outside on to the deck and she chases the stray and hisses and all kinds of crap...abbey is a huge cat, near 20 lbs and she is not a round ball, she is a BIG cat...the stray is so skinny we thought it was going to die...maybe 4 lbs...

I had to call my sister to ask her, how we can tell what gender it was...hahahahahaha! Sorry, I know humans but cats, i was a bit miffed! of course my sister says, look for the balls...

It was hard to get even near this cat close enough to get it to show us "some stuff" but we noticed that it had balls or big furry patches that seemed like balls?

anyway, we catch him yesterday, brought him to the vet to get shots and fixed, dewormed, find out if he was an elder cat that was just starving to death or one less than a year old.

The doc calls a few hours after we dropped him off and he says our he is a she and she is pregnant....she is anywhere from 6-10 months old but he puts her closer to the 6 months.

HERE IS MY SICKENING PROBLEM

this morning they are going to neuter her...the doc says it is now or never, she is halfway through her pregnancy and he can not give the hysterectomy much later due to how far along she is..... :(

I AM SICK OVER THIS AND SO IS MATT.

Halfway along in pregnancy would put it like 4.5 months in a human pregnancy...talk about a LATE TERM ABORTION! :(

Should we let her have her litter? Or should we let the doc kill them?

We are so torn...we know that WE CAN NOT take on this litter and there is no way we can find someone to adopt them, shoot we could not even afford the $250 bucks this whole thing is costing us with shots and this surgery and all, let alone get abbey to put up with one more cat in the home....

But i just feel sick that we are killing this cat's litter.... :(:(:(

the doc did say that she is very young to have a litter, and it could be dangerous to her....

have any of you heard this, that deliver when you are only about 6 or 7 months old is not safe for cats?

WHAT would you do if you were me and matt?

Care

We have a cat who we spoil and love dearly...she is 12 years old, she has been our only kitty.

about a month a go, a loose dog....looked like a lab and golden retriever mix was making a huge ruckus down by our pond....i couldn't see cuz the trees were in the way...so i thought maybe it was a squirrel the dog was barking like a maniac at...i was just stepping in to the shower and when i got out, the dog had stopped barking so i thought my neighbor has gotten his dog locked back up again....so then i hear the dog again, going crazy and i hear splashing in the lower end of the pond, still can't see what was going on though....

well, to make a longer story short, there is this soaking wet kitten, maybe 5 months old...black and white, i tried to approach it and it jumped in to the shallow pond to get away from me and ran like the dickens when it got to the other side...

SOOOOO,

I put some dry food out there and he came back every night, to wolf it down but would not get near me or matt...very jumpy, we did not even know if it was a male or female at that point, then about 2 days ago, with Chicken we got the cat to come to us and then the next day he was ALL OVER US, with head butting and rubbing and purring...still jumpy, with one little move, but very loving and sweet.

My cat of 12 years absolute hates this cat...through the glass door, seeing him on the porch, she screams with this God awful noise at the top of her lungs. We have never let the ferrel in the house...but have let abbey outside on to the deck and she chases the stray and hisses and all kinds of crap...abbey is a huge cat, near 20 lbs and she is not a round ball, she is a BIG cat...the stray is so skinny we thought it was going to die...maybe 4 lbs...

I had to call my sister to ask her, how we can tell what gender it was...hahahahahaha! Sorry, I know humans but cats, i was a bit miffed! of course my sister says, look for the balls...

It was hard to get even near this cat close enough to get it to show us "some stuff" but we noticed that it had balls or big furry patches that seemed like balls?

anyway, we catch him yesterday, brought him to the vet to get shots and fixed, dewormed, find out if he was an elder cat that was just starving to death or one less than a year old.

The doc calls a few hours after we dropped him off and he says our he is a she and she is pregnant....she is anywhere from 6-10 months old but he puts her closer to the 6 months.

this morning they are going to neuter her...the doc says it is now or never, she is halfway through her pregnancy and he can not give the hysterectomy much later due to how far along she is..... :(

Halfway along in pregnancy would put it like 4.5 months in a human pregnancy...talk about a LATE TERM ABORTION! :(

We are so torn...we know that WE CAN NOT take on this litter and there is no way we can find someone to adopt them, shoot we could not even afford the $250 bucks this whole thing is costing us with shots and this surgery and all, let alone get abbey to put up with one more cat in the home....

the doc did say that she is very young to have a litter, and it could be dangerous to her....

have any of you heard this, that deliver when you are only about 6 or 7 months old is not safe for cats?

Care

Have the doctor do his thing... Just imagine how much harder it will be after the cat has the litter... if she survives it or doesn't have any medical problems. Then you'll have a bunch of kittens to adopt out...

I feel with you and it is a terrible dilemma. It is so great of you to take care of this cat.

SOOOOO,

Care
Care, why would you want to bring more kittens into the world? Not enough homes to go around for those already born.

Do you want a six to ten month kitten to go through a pregnancy? especially one that may have other medical problems?

It's best for cats to be spayed as young as possible.

SOOOOO,

Care

We have a problem with ferals in our neighborhood and I've caught many and take them to the spca. One (that I thought was male) turned out to be a pregnant female. She was completely feral (as all the cats were) and I knew they would put her down. My thought was 'at least there won't be xx more kittens running around'. Does that make me a horrible person? I don't know, I hope not. Our cat is just like your cat (same age too) -- hates other cats and whenever these ferals come around he marks his territory (uh, the house is his territory, he's an inside cagt) and goes bonkers. A few weeks ago there was a feral outside our living room window. The window is about 8 ft. off the ground. The feral cat jumped up onto the screen trying to get to my cat (who was sitting on the windowsill). My cat was freaked out and the screen is shredded.

It's a hard decision. Are you planning to keep the cat? She sounds like she is certainly pet-worthy and not feral. If you do keep her will she live her life outside because of Abbey? Do you know anyone who would adopt any of the kittens? When I was younger a friend of mine adopted two kittens (they were free) but the remaining 3 or 4 were going to the spca the next day. I didn't want them to go so I took them all, went to the mall with my brother, sat outside the pet store and gave them away. The pet store was less than pleased but all the kittens got homes. Just a thought.

Don't know what to say Care. You could let her have the kittens and give the kittens to the spca when they were old enough. Kittens usually get adopted out pretty fast. If it were me and I was planning on keeping the cat, I might do this.

I still feel terrible....if we had been able to capture her and get her nuetered earlier....but now she is already pregnant...i know the sucker who did it too, looking back on it...

matt got home late one night and outside was the black and white, but she had an orange striped cat friend with her and they both were hanging out, laying in the front yard together, she brought him over to where her bowl was and where we feed her....

Our thoughts at the time, were...OH, this must be one of his/her brothers from the same litter, why else would she be so friendly with it? And we thought then, OH NO, we gotta stop feeding this cat...we can't have him/her bringing the whole stray community to our house....!!! :eek: but the orange striped cat after that one night many weeks ago, we never saw again and just didn't think about it...

so, he's probably the dad.

Well, I just feel terrible about the whole thing....

I feel good that we made the decision to rescue her, and made the decision that we would take in another cat....i feel bad about the neutering with babies in tow...

The SPCA and other places are just jammed pack...we have a huge problem up here, with the economy and alot of poor people, many are dropping off their pets because they can not afford to feed them, it has been all over the news....

If you'd left her in the wild she'd have been dead and so would her kittens. I'd let the doc do his thing and quit beating myself up.

Too bad you can't make the father pay child support. ;)

I feel good that we made the decision to rescue her, and made the decision that we would take in another cat....i feel bad about the neutering with babies in tow...

The SPCA and other places are just jammed pack...we have a huge problem up here, with the economy and alot of poor people, many are dropping off their pets because they can not afford to feed them, it has been all over the news....

Unless you're willing to keep her kittens and have them neutered too, you could be contributing even more to the cat overpopulation problem.

You've done a good thing in deciding to take her in. You can't save all the cats in the world but at least you're helping one.

I hope it works out with your other cat. Give them time. Moat adjust and become friends.

Unless you're willing to keep her kittens and have them neutered too, you could be contributing even more to the cat overpopulation problem.

You've done a good thing in deciding to take her in. You can't save all the cats in the world but at least you're helping one.

I hope it works out with your other cat. Give them time. Moat adjust and become friends.

Gosh, I hope so....i hope we haven't ruined Abbey's life....but honestly, we had no choice, this cat was starving to death...skin and bones only....the kitties would probably NOT BE HEALTHY if they had been born to her outside in the wild, this is my only saving Grace in making me feel better.

Gosh, I hope so....i hope we haven't ruined Abbey's life....but honestly, we had no choice, this cat was starving to death...skin and bones only....the kitties would probably NOT BE HEALTHY if they had been born to her outside in the wild, this is my only saving Grace in making me feel better.

I think this qualifies as one of those, to save the life of the mother things.

My cats were both half grown strays that found me. The first one did not like the second one at first but soon adopted her as her substitute baby. Now she's an even happier spoiled cat.

Hope you have the same luck!

Forum List

Back