Help !

Mr. P said:
Did not! Got a planner? No...
How about a plane? A square for squaring? Well just :poop:

Do you mean a planer. The machine that can take a 3/4" board down to 1/8"? How about two? A table saw, , drill press miter saw, palm sander, jig saw......Yes, and I have a square, too.

It is very easy to get something out of square & I wondered if there was something that could prevent it.

I'm not nearly as dumb as you'd like to think. I even went into the big city,once!

Joz said:
Do you mean a planer. The machine that can take a 3/4" board down to 1/8"? How about two? A table saw, , drill press miter saw, palm sander, jig saw......Yes, and I have a square, too.

It is very easy to get something out of square & I wondered if there was something that could prevent it.

I'm not nearly as dumb as you'd like to think. I even went into the big city,once!

I don't think you're dumb.

Yes, I meant planer. It sounds like you have what you need. So, how are you getting things out of square?
Edit: Okay, I read the thread.
Did I understand you are NOT mitering the joints? And you're sanding...Is that before or after assembly?
Is your sander hand held or mounted?

I take a piece of wood & cut it. You know 5 inches from the edge at this end, and 5 inches from the edge at the other end. Sometimes my cutting isn't precisely always on the line. But even when it is, sometimes when I sand the piece, it looks lopsided to me. Maybe I don't know how to measure, or maybe I'm standing crooked. My sander has a 1" belt and a 5" wheel. And the tables are square & level.

Joz said:
I take a piece of wood & cut it. You know 5 inches from the edge at this end, and 5 inches from the edge at the other end. Sometimes my cutting isn't precisely always on the line. But even when it is, sometimes when I sand the piece, it looks lopsided to me. Maybe I don't know how to measure, or maybe I'm standing crooked. My sander has a 1" belt and a 5" wheel. And the tables are square & level.

What is the width of the butt end of wood you are sanding?
Are you using the belt or the wheel?
Are you holding the wood in hand to sand or laying it flat on the table?

What are you trying to build? What are ALL the dimensions of the wood?

Do you have a digital camera..pics would help.

Mr. P said:
What is the width of the butt end of wood you are sanding?
Are you using the belt or the wheel?
Are you holding the wood in hand to sand or laying it flat on the table?

What are you trying to build? What are ALL the dimensions of the wood?

Do you have a digital camera..pics would help.

Nope, no camera.

Really size isn't the issue here.. :rolleyes:

What I was trying to square is a 4" x 6" , 1/8" thick piece of #2 pine. I was using the wheel, laying it flat on the table/shelf, just to smooth the edge.

Joz said:
Nope, no camera.

Really size isn't the issue here.. :rolleyes:

What I was trying to square is a 4" x 6" , 1/8" thick piece of #2 pine. I was using the wheel, laying it flat on the table/shelf, just to smooth the edge.

So you're still at this with no luck aye Joz... mercy. I think you need someone to physically show... IN PERSON! Our help here sure doesn't seem to have been much help. :dunno:

Joz said:
1. a perfect rectangle

2. 1/4 "-- #2 pine

3. 4" x 6" / 5" x 7" size really isn't important at the moment

4. Not sure I understand this one. I just need it to be, say, 6" on two sides & 4" on the other two & it not slant to those dimensions when I'm finished.

A really big THANKS!

To be honest, you're not giving us legitimate information in order to help you. I can't speak for the others, but I have to actually visualize what you're building in order to give you advice as to how to build it.

What I was making iwas a small album cover. I'd like to make a larger one like the one 'Walnut Hollow' has. If you ever care to, I think you can find one one their web site.

Joz said:
What I was making iwas a small album cover. I'd like to make a larger one like the one 'Walnut Hollow' has. If you ever care to, I think you can find one one their web site.

What the the mane of the album?

hylandrdet said:
What the the mane of the album?
It would be used as a scrapbook or journal. The pages are held in place by Chicago screws. The back cover is attached to a spine and stays stationary. The front cover is hinged to the spine. Is that what you mean?

Joz said:
It would be used as a scrapbook or journal. The pages are held in place by Chicago screws. The back cover is attached to a spine and stays stationary. The front cover is hinged to the spine. Is that what you mean?

I think I know what you're asking for.. give me a "48"!

Joz said:
I was given the interpretation that you wanted to build a "library style" folding book designed to hold historical documents.

I gave you a website that will give you advice on how to build one. My "48" means 48 hours to ask someone I know for advice or for a site reference.

The info came in faster than I'd anticipated, so i'd posted it as soon as possible!

Forum List

Back