Help With The Kitten

After her ownership and before, lol.

307m1ac.jpg

2njd0s6.jpg

:lol:

I agree with your husband.

That kitty would never leave here either.

I tried to take her back but hubby said a resounding NO when I told him I was. So...I gave her the library room all for herself for night night time. Beats having the damn closet. And bigger.
She really is a good kitty. So easy to please. Not vocal. Happy playing with karmas toys. During the day..she will be in my room and have access to the back yard..which she is slowly exploring but only if I am with her. At night..I get my closet back where all hubbys snacks are kept, lol....and kitty gets the library room with a window and screen to look out from. I introduced her to Ramiro and he said she was just too cute. So....I think this MIGHT work out. And yes Ropey, I will do that! She has two litter boxes now...one in the library, one in my closet for day time. Eventually, both boxes will go by the door. And someday, she might be able to actually get outside on her own after she figures out the doggy doors and is strong enough to push the flap open, lol.

I just had to push them out the dog door a couple of times and a few to come back in and they had the 'swing' of it.

Gracie, why did they let the kitten be adopted out at only 7 weeks? I always found it best for the kittens to stay with their mom and siblings until they were 12 weeks. They learn a lot from them during this time.

We had two inside out cats when I was growing up. They lived to be quite old, one got hit by a car the other (pretty sure she was diabetic) had to be put down around age 20. If you do decide to let him be an inside out cat, give him flea med.

My advice ... do NOT feed your kitten dry food. Give her good quality canned. The dry food is loaded with carbs which cats do not digest well, is not healthy for them, and it just makes them fat. If you insist on giving her dry, a good grain free is better than the crap they sell at the grocery store. When we found Finn and his brothers two years ago, I gave him dry food (free fed) plus wet. He was freaking 16 lbs by the time he was one. :eek: I literally counted his calories, took all (grain free) dry away except for one tablespoon at night, which he gets when he goes to bed (he has to sleep in the finished basement because of our other old, curmudgeonly cat.) He's 13 lbs right now, I'd like him to lose another lb or two but he's much leaner than he was when eating the dry food. My cat that I had as a kid and was put down? Free fed Purina dry food her whole life. Not kidding when I said she was fat ... obese, had to have weighed 30 lbs. It was gross and we never knew why, no vet will say anything about what they eat they just say feed them less. Glad for the interwebs so I can find out information!

Oh, Finn was also scared of the dogs at first. He'd hide under the sofa and wouldn't come out. As he grew and got used to them, he and Dio (our youngest slightly derpy dog) learned to play with each other. They still do. How Dio knows not to bite Finn's head ... he 'mouths' his head but does not bite ... always amazes me. When Finn is not in the mood or has had enough, the claws come out. And yes, as Ludlly said, clip his little claws starting now and hopefully it will be easier when he is big. We distract Finn with either a toy or sometimes food (while my daughter holds him) and I clip his nails.

KiKi is a very sweet kitten. Quiet, too. I gave her the walk in closet for her very own room to feel safe in, and she likes it but she loves my recliner more, lol. When I hold her in my lap or up on my shoulder, she immediately begins to purr. She seems content for now. And like I said...she is very quiet. I had to drive about 3 miles to get home after getting her and she mewed once. Since she has been here...she has mewed twice.
HOwever...she is freaking out with Karma, my dog. Karma is very timid herself...easy going...mellow. So the cat hitching up and hissing does not bother her much. She knows what kitty claws can do from being around Pretties, so she just looks away so her face is no where near those claws. But I wonder....how long will it take..if ever...for KiKi to not be afraid of Karma? She did actually walk by Karma twice...but all stiff and hunched up..and hissing. But at least she DID walk by. Beats her hiding in a corner.

Anyway....eventually KiKi is going to be an outside/inside cat. She can come and go as she pleases. But right now..she is just way too itty bitty. An owl would get her or a raccoon. So..since I am not a cat person and this is all new to me too..especially with a 7 week old kitten...I have some questions maybe some cat people can help me out with:

1. Will she eventually get used to the dogs?
2. Will she eventually want to go outside on her own?
3. Will she potty outside if I take her litter box away after she IS old enough to go outside to do her thang?
4. Sometimes she even hisses at ME...so I have to approach her quietly and sing a little Dee Dee Dee De deeeee deeeeee in a high pitched voice then waggle my finger gently otherwise she will nail me again with those tiny little spears of hers and hiss like a crazy cat. Will she get over that too?

I ask cuz if she is going to continue to be fearful of the dogs...I might give her to my roomie or take her back where I got her.

She sounds like a feral.

I think all of your listed questions & concerns are answerable in the positive sense.

Doesn't matter any more. She is gone. I returned her after my little dog got pissed at being hissed at and tried to bite her. I hollered at him and scooped her up but the heart thumping on me from being afraid he could have really hurt her turned the tide. She went home. They said another family with kids wanted her and called right after I left with her so they will be calling that family back. No dogs there, either.
I will miss her. I was starting to get really attached. :(
But...I would die of sadness if Moki hurt her really bad. He is used to cats thinking they are dogs..not ones that hiss and spit at him and claw at his face.

I wondered, too, why they let her go at 7 weeks. She didn't get to learn needed behavior from her siblings because they were all given away too soon.

When I returned her..I said "she is a little wild, you know" and they said "yeah. Her mom is wild". Well duh. Why didn't they tell me that to begin with? They gave a song and dance of the mother being their cat and they had too many so had to get rid of the kittens. Yeah...I guess they have shitloads of feral cats dropping kittens left and right. Sheesh.

KiKi was a beautiful kitty. I was bonding with her and I think she with me. But..I am too damn old to keep an eye on her AND moki at the same time and hope like hell he didn't hurt her. Best she go back and I am catless.

She pooped ok..but the food they gave me to give to her was some kind of cat food with a mountain lion on the front.Never heard of it before. Way too big and it was dry food. I bought her some Iams for kittens and mushed it up in my magic bullet.

Sigh. I miss her already.

She pooped ok..but the food they gave me to give to her was some kind of cat food with a mountain lion on the front.Never heard of it before. Way too big and it was dry food. I bought her some Iams for kittens and mushed it up in my magic bullet.

Sigh. I miss her already.

Still, you've got Moki to console you and I bet Moki's happy to see Kiki gone too...

:D

When I got back..I said "all gone kitty". Both dogs jumped around all happy...and Karma went and got all her toys back from the closet, lol.

Yes, they are glad she is gone. I'm not, though. :(

When I got back..I said "all gone kitty". Both dogs jumped around all happy...and Karma went and got all her toys back from the closet, lol.

Yes, they are glad she is gone. I'm not, though. :(

At that age, she had a good time. Feral cats are tough. They have quick responses. She'll be fine 'cause cute goes a long way when you're a cat.

She was not only cute, but just gorgeous. Her coloring was something I just couldn't catch with the camera. She looked like smoke on her torso...but all four legs, tail and head were solid black. Just beautiful. Great personality too. Just too pissy with the dogs and I was afraid to find her laying there dead after moki snapped her neck. I just couldn't take the chance. :(

And..I STILL miss her. I kept her kitten food and the litter box sand. Never say never says I. A cat might show up out of the blue and think its a dog.

Forum List

Back