Help with sound card?

pennyville73

Aug 31, 2004
Massachusetts
I restored my computer and now it will not detect my sound card. I've tried everything I can think of, but cant fix it. Any suggestions? I need my sound back!!!

pennyville73 said:
I restored my computer and now it will not detect my sound card. I've tried everything I can think of, but cant fix it. Any suggestions? I need my sound back!!!

Did you load the software for the sound card before rebooting? Sometimes it sees it after you have loaded the software but not before.

However you could move the sound card from one slot to another, usually if the computer is not seeing it it will at that time.

I didnt load it beforehand. Usually it will be automatically installed when I run the disk. But not this time. I've tried reinstalling the disk again, but now Im getting an error message saying the disk is corrupt, and it wont run.
Ive tried to delete it from the device manager and reboot,hoping it will be picked up, but it wont even give me the option to delete.
I would try changing it to a different slot, only I dont know what card it is inside my comp. ....LOL. Any way I can tell which one it is?
Thanks, Penny

pennyville73 said:
I didnt load it beforehand. Usually it will be automatically installed when I run the disk. But not this time. I've tried reinstalling the disk again, but now Im getting an error message saying the disk is corrupt, and it wont run.
Ive tried to delete it from the device manager and reboot,hoping it will be picked up, but it wont even give me the option to delete.
I would try changing it to a different slot, only I dont know what card it is inside my comp. ....LOL. Any way I can tell which one it is?
Thanks, Penny

Look on the back of the machine, the sound card is the one that has plugs for your speakers, headphones, and joystick. It can have others as well but those are generally on all sound cards.

If you are opening the machine to change the card around make sure to ground yourself so that you don't increase static on the card or on the MainBoard.

Have you tried turning the machine off for one night? It may have static currently that simply needs to be discharged over time as well.

OK...new problem....I tried to move the sound card, but when I opened the computer, there is no sound card. Is this normal??
I have no idea what else to do.

The drivers probably just didn't get installed properly during installation.

Right click on my computer and choose 'properties'. Go to the tab for 'hardware' and then click on 'device manager'.

Scroll to the sound area or anywhere for that fact and look for something installed with a yellow exclamation next to it. If one exists, highlight it and delete it and then reboot. If this was the case - the new hardware will be detected on reboot. Insert the CD this time and you'll be fine.

Hope that helps!

jimnyc said:
The drivers probably just didn't get installed properly during installation.

Right click on my computer and choose 'properties'. Go to the tab for 'hardware' and then click on 'device manager'.

Scroll to the sound area or anywhere for that fact and look for something installed with a yellow exclamation next to it. If one exists, highlight it and delete it and then reboot. If this was the case - the new hardware will be detected on reboot. Insert the CD this time and you'll be fine.

Hope that helps!

The yellow exclamation points will be apparent when you scroll and you should not have to hit the little plus next to them. However I think you already tried this one correct? You said before you could not delete it in the Device Manager.

Since the sound card is integrated on the Mainboard you will need to check your settings in the BIOS to insure that you have the option to use the integrated sound checkmarked.

On boot-up you should have a prompt such as, "Hit delete to enter setup". Go into the setup of the mainboard and check the settings until you find the integrated sound, make sure that it is "on". When you Exit save the settings, when the computer then boots in it should "find" the sound card and load your drivers.

I hope this one is the solution. :)

no1tovote4 said:
The yellow exclamation points will be apparent when you scroll and you should not have to hit the little plus next to them. However I think you already tried this one correct? You said before you could not delete it in the Device Manager.

Since the sound card is integrated on the Mainboard you will need to check your settings in the BIOS to insure that you have the option to use the integrated sound checkmarked.

On boot-up you should have a prompt such as, "Hit delete to enter setup". Go into the setup of the mainboard and check the settings until you find the integrated sound, make sure that it is "on". When you Exit save the settings, when the computer then boots in it should "find" the sound card and load your drivers.

I hope this one is the solution. :)

This one worked...Thanks to all.
Any idea how I can get the sound to come from my desktop speakers instead of from my monitor?

New Topics

Forum List

Back