Help with my Computer Searches!!!!

Caroljo

Gold Member
Jun 2, 2009
Michigan
I'm hoping someone might be able to help me with the problem i'm having. I'm unable to use the search bar....every time i try i get the error message "404 Not Found". It happened before and my daughters friend fixed it somehow. It has to be someone on my desktop computer because i can search fine on my laptop. Is there maybe a setting that gets changed that i need to look for? It's really irritating!! :eusa_wall:

Try cleaning up your cache and deleting temp files.

I agree. A lot of times what ails your computer is nothing more junk in it's trunk. Try this... CCleaner | CCleaner Free Download

It's a cleaner to clean up the garbage on your computer and repair any problems you may have in your registry, among other things. It's easy to use and very thorough. Good stuff.

Thanks...i'll download it and give it a try! I'm sure that's not what the other person did, but there's no way for me to contact him.

Does your browser work when you use a favorite? If so, you likely have lost your home page.

Internet Explorer Home Page - How to Change Your Home Page In Internet Explorer 7 - About Web Browsers

If you use another browser such as FF, etc. then a Google search for that browser and change home page will bring up a tutorial.

I HATE IE! .... It never works for me and its been banished from my my laptop.

So what would you do if this happened on mozzila :) Just wondering.

Does your browser work when you use a favorite? If so, you likely have lost your home page.

Internet Explorer Home Page - How to Change Your Home Page In Internet Explorer 7 - About Web Browsers

If you use another browser such as FF, etc. then a Google search for that browser and change home page will bring up a tutorial.

I use mozilla...and i can do anything on the computer except search. When i get online it goes right to my homepage. All my favorites work fine. I just can't search in any of the search engines. I downloaded and used the C Cleaner and it didn't help :(

Thanks...but i've read over all the information on the error and it just doesn't seem to agree with what i'm getting.

I always use the search bar in the upper right corner. I'll type what i'm looking for and hit "search" and always get this error. And all it says is "404 Not Found", no other information and according to the information i read it should explain it too.

I can go to the Google website by typing the address in the bar. But once there, if i try to search i still get the error. What i read about it is that the address i'm using has a bad url. Well, all i'm doing is typing in words to search for, not any certain url. So this has really got me confused!

Thanks...but i've read over all the information on the error and it just doesn't seem to agree with what i'm getting.

I always use the search bar in the upper right corner. I'll type what i'm looking for and hit "search" and always get this error. And all it says is "404 Not Found", no other information and according to the information i read it should explain it too.

I can go to the Google website by typing the address in the bar. But once there, if i try to search i still get the error. What i read about it is that the address i'm using has a bad url. Well, all i'm doing is typing in words to search for, not any certain url. So this has really got me confused!

Have you checked all your settings under tools, options to make sure nothing has changed?
Is the Google symbol/name in the search bar?

Right click at the top of your browser, just under the top title and choose "Menu Bar" if you don't have a menu bar. If you have a menu bar (File Edit View...) then just go to:

Tools --> Options --> and you will see an option with an address bar where it says "Home Page". You can choose the current page, a default page which is a Firefox Google search or you can simply type in the web address (URL) you wish, then click 'Apply' and 'Close'.

I only use IE for certain web connections that need its active control function. Otherwise I use FF as well. It's just so customizable. You might want to check out the "FasterFox" FF extension if you don't have it.

FastestFox: Browse Faster

I find it quite zippy.

It sounds as though you're not getting a DNS resolution. If you can reach the first address but not from that address then the conversion is not taking place. It may be that your DHCP (Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol) client is not running. The DHCP client service is required for registration of DNS records computers with DHCP and statically assigned IP addresses.

wwww.yourdomain.com ---> 192.168.4.12

Right-click the My Computer icon on your desktop, and then click Manage.
In the Computer Management console, double-click Services and Applications, and then click Services.
In the rightmost window, right-click DHCP Client and then click Properties.
Change Startup type to Automatic, and then click OK.
Right-click the DHCP Client service again, and then click Start.

Then open a browser and see if you can enter the address and click on a browser link to see if it works.

Sounds like your browser has been hijacked a bit. Certain sites and programs change the default search engine to their own, and if they are then shut down then you will get a 404 message. You need to go into your options menu and find the place where you set your default search. Be careful since there is only one google, and it usually has an icon next to the name and the fake google searches do not.

You can also install malwarebytes (free version) and do a scan.. it should remove the hijack bits from your system... in fact it just did that on my own computer where I had my IE (which I dont use) hijacked by a company search engine ... had installed a free ware DVD burner and missed the box where I could refuse the change.

Alternatively I would recommend you dump IE and move to Google Chrome. Here you can search in the address bar.

Thanks for your help Ropey & Pete! I'll try these tonight when i get home and see what happens...

Ropey - what you told me to do sounds like what my daughters friend did, but i just didn't see what he did! Thanks!!

Thanks for your help Ropey & Pete! I'll try these tonight when i get home and see what happens...

Ropey - what you told me to do sounds like what my daughters friend did, but i just didn't see what he did! Thanks!!

You're very welcome Caroljo. If you can post a time here and have an Instant Messenger installed (Yahoo, etc.)we can do this an easier way. ;)

While I am online here, I am 1:1 and I've some fair resources.

Right click at the top of your browser, just under the top title and choose "Menu Bar" if you don't have a menu bar. If you have a menu bar (File Edit View...) then just go to:

Tools --> Options --> and you will see an option with an address bar where it says "Home Page". You can choose the current page, a default page which is a Firefox Google search or you can simply type in the web address (URL) you wish, then click 'Apply' and 'Close'.

I only use IE for certain web connections that need its active control function. Otherwise I use FF as well. It's just so customizable. You might want to check out the "FasterFox" FF extension if you don't have it.

I find it quite zippy.

IE is just not FF i guess... lol. There is a FasterFox?? I will have to check that one out!

Thanks!

I find it quite zippy.

IE is just not FF i guess... lol. There is a FasterFox?? I will have to check that one out!

Thanks!

You're welcome Syrenn :)

FasterFox(FastestFox) is a Firefox plugin that bursts data with a secondary pipeline cache subsystem.

It's a fair bit faster. :)

You're very welcome Caroljo. If you can post a time here and have an Instant Messenger installed (Yahoo, etc.)we can do this an easier way. ;)

I'm not sure what time i'll be on once i get home (after dinner probably). But i may be able to give my son the directions you gave me this afternoon and he can work on it for me ahead of time. If not, i'll find you! :) I'm going to try the faster firefox too! I have DSL but i don't pay for the fastest they have - I'm kinda cheap :lol:

I'm not sure what time i'll be on once i get home (after dinner probably). But i may be able to give my son the directions you gave me this afternoon and he can work on it for me ahead of time. If not, i'll find you! :) I'm going to try the faster firefox too! I have DSL but i don't pay for the fastest they have - I'm kinda cheap :lol:

PM me if you can use a hand. You may need to create a new search listing as well.

PM me if you can use a hand. You may need to create a new search listing as well.

I gave my son your directions when i went home for lunch...he did it and said it worked PERFECTLY!! :clap2: Thanks a bunch! If you were nearby i'd buy ya a beer! :)
Next....the faster Firefox! :)

Forum List

Back