Help with mower

Tresha91203

Platinum Member
Apr 20, 2012
South Louisiana
The key won't work. It's warped & the socket is stripped. How else can I start this mower?
PhotoEditor_20190527_095412076.jpg

Interesting. I just had my mechanic come and sharpen my blade, oil my pull line, and change my spark plug. That bugger wouldn't start no matter how many times I pulled on it. Now it runs like a champ. Thing must be over a decade old, it is sort of hobble together of many parts.

I take it yours is electric? :eusa_think:

Try to clean out the tumbler (the hole for the key) with penetrating fluid and maybe blast it out with compressed air.

The key won't work. It's warped & the socket is stripped. How else can I start this mower?
View attachment 262674

Probably have to pop that switch out and change it. Or short out the wires attached to it to get it running until you bother to change it.

One wire is the incoming voltage.
One wire is to the coil -points-sparkplug (or run) perhaps? Short these two together first. They must stay shorted to run. Will drain battery if left like this in storage. Remove after.
Third wire would probably be to starter motor to get it turning over. These are usually momentary switches like in a Car ignition? Meaning you short it.....when it starts to run, pull off this short.

A short means a clip lead (gator clips) or even a temp short like screwdriver to do the momentary.

Something like above has to happen.

I am assuming old gas powered electric start gas mower?

Last edited:
View attachment 262674

Probably have to pop that switch out and change it. Or short out the wires attached to it to get it running until you bother to change it.

One wire is the incoming voltage.
One wire is to the coil (or run) perhaps? Short these two together first. They must stay shorted to run. Will drain battery if left like this in storage. Remove after.
Third wire would probably be to starter motor to get it turning over. These are usually momentary switches like in a Car ignition? Meaning you short it.....when it starts to run, pull off this short.

A short means a clip lead (gator clips) or evev a temp short like screwdriver to do the momentary.

Something like above has to happen.

I am assuming old gas powered electric start gas mower?

Yes it is and thank you. <3

Interesting. I just had my mechanic come and sharpen my blade, oil my pull line, and change my spark plug. That bugger wouldn't start no matter how many times I pulled on it. Now it runs like a champ. Thing must be over a decade old, it is sort of hobble together of many parts.

I take it yours is electric? :eusa_think:
Oil your pull line?

:eek2:

Forum List

Back