Help with chainsaw! Stihl or Husqvarna?

Stihl seems to be the saw of choice by the reality shows but it tends to be rather expensive. I have an "Echo" for the last eight or so years to cut a lot of wood for an outdoor stove and it's the best buy for the money that I can find.

Both brands have their good and bad saws. What are you going to do with it? What size saw are you considering? How much experience do you have with chainsaw?

I have multiple saws from 44cc to 90cc, Stihl, Husqvarna, and Echo.

I don`t have any experience. Thank`s, I`ll try to find information about Echo.
Well whatever you decide on make sure you find an experienced chainsaw operator to give you some tips, dos and don’ts, etc. They can be very dangerous in the hands of an inexperienced user and same goes for a veteran who lets his concentration wonder or gets distracted.

Stihl seems to be the saw of choice by the reality shows but it tends to be rather expensive. I have an "Echo" for the last eight or so years to cut a lot of wood for an outdoor stove and it's the best buy for the money that I can find.

My old work only used echo chainsaws and they did well. Most people I know with Stihl's seem to have them in the shop a lot.

The Saudi foreign minister recommends Echo which is endorsed by Donald Trump and tested on bone sawing in Saudi Embassies.

No respectable Saudi Ambassador would use any other brand.

I use electric chainsaws now...and for weed eaters just charge the battery..

Those Kobalt rechargeable chainsaws from Lowes are fairly decent. I am on my second one because the first one saved me thousands of dollars before it went belly up. It earned the spot for the new one. Been out using one today. 3 minutes of insane winds out of I assume a microburst with last nights thunderstorm here did a lot of tree damage in my wooded side yard. It was almost tornado like. Sheered off a bunch of high limbs that fell on a loaded down with fruit 60 foot tall or so mulberry which fell taking other limbs from nearby trees with it.

Those Kobalt rechargeable chainsaws from Lowes are fairly decent. I am on my second one because the first one saved me thousands of dollars before it went belly up. It earned the spot for the new one. Been out using one today. 3 minutes of insane winds out of I assume a microburst with last nights thunderstorm here did a lot of tree damage in my wooded side yard. It was almost tornado like. Sheered off a bunch of high limbs that fell on a loaded down with fruit 60 foot tall or so mulberry which fell taking other limbs from nearby trees with it.
Come on over cause a thirty foot pin oak toppled next to the house.

Come on over cause a thirty foot pin oak toppled next to the house.

I'll be there as soon as I can get my shoes on.

Yea you can't beat electric. Clean, reliable and powerful.

I've had a Remington pole saw for 8 years. My dad used it to cut a branch about 15 inches in diameter about 12 feet in the air, the branch and saw came crashing down together slamming the saw on the ground. Bent the blade and the blade guide. 2 small bolts and 10 dollars later the thing cuts like a new saw.

They are tough as hell. Oh yea, and it starts every time.

Last edited:

I've had a Remington pole saw for 8 years. My dad used it to cut a branch about 15 inches in diameter about 12 feet in the air, the branch and saw came crashing down together slamming the saw on the ground. Bent the blade and the blade guide. 2 small bolts and 10 dollars later the thing cuts like a new saw.

Except when you have 4 acres.

I have the Stihl pole saw,a Stihl with if I remember correctly has an 18 in. bar,a small Echo and a new Ryobi electric saw with a 12 in. bar I use to cut long splits so they fit in the BBQ pit. I run vegetable oil in it for chain lube so I'm not BBQing with petroleum distillates.
Also picked up an electric 6 ton log splitter to get those splits uniform in size.
I was a bit skeptical about an electric log splitter but the thing kicks ass!! It's only knee high so you can pull up a chair making it easy on the back.

Except when you have 4 acres.

Yeah...
I bought my two Stihls for the ten acre weekend place on the Llano River. The place is covered with oak,pecan and mesquit,never had to buy BBQ wood.
For around the the house the electric works fine.

Forum List

Back