Help us choose a destination!

Where to go?

• New York City

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Florida (Orlando/Tampa Bay/Key West)

• Las Vegas/Grand Canyon

Votes: 4 23.5%
  • California (LA/Disneyland/Pacific coast hwy/san francisco)

• Texas (San Antonio/Dallas/Houston)

Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Other---meaning any other suggestions for spots.

Votes: 3 17.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

fuzzykitten99

VIP Member
Apr 23, 2004
You'll have to check the Marauder's Map...
My hubby and I are trying to decide where to go next year. We bought 2 tickets to Phoenix in October, but my hubby was not able to go, so we still have the ticket, good until Sept 24, 2005, anywhere we want to go in the US. Basically, we are planning another trip somewhere to use the ticket, and also to take a vacation.

The following cities/states are where we are looking into. I have been to NYC before, and I think that my hubby would have fun there too. We both want to visit Florida again. I have not seen the Pacific Ocean yet, and want to see Beverly Hills, etc. Las Vegas would also be fun, and from there drive to see the Grand Canyon. None of us have been in Texas other than passing through, and there is A LOT to do there.

Really, it's up in the air. cost is somewhat of an issue, so that is also a factor, so maybe we will have to save NYC for another time (i remember how expensive it was back in 97!). But, I will trust those who have been to these places for recommendations.

Also, the timeframe would be from May through September, so if anyone has any tips on that too...

fuzzykitten99 said:
My hubby and I are trying to decide where to go next year. We bought 2 tickets to Phoenix in October, but my hubby was not able to go, so we still have the ticket, good until Sept 24, 2005, anywhere we want to go in the US. Basically, we are planning another trip somewhere to use the ticket, and also to take a vacation.

The following cities/states are where we are looking into. I have been to NYC before, and I think that my hubby would have fun there too. We both want to visit Florida again. I have not seen the Pacific Ocean yet, and want to see Beverly Hills, etc. Las Vegas would also be fun, and from there drive to see the Grand Canyon. None of us have been in Texas other than passing through, and there is A LOT to do there.

Really, it's up in the air. cost is somewhat of an issue, so that is also a factor, so maybe we will have to save NYC for another time (i remember how expensive it was back in 97!). But, I will trust those who have been to these places for recommendations.

Also, the timeframe would be from May through September, so if anyone has any tips on that too...

Wow, lots of choices......

A cheap way to go and see a lot, if you like the outdoors especially, would be to fly someplace and then go to a National Park. Vegas will be hot'r-n-hell May thru Sept, so that is something to think about......

Maybe you could fly into Denver and then hit the mountains, or fly into El Paso and then drive down to Big Bend National Park. It is at a decent elevation, so the weather wouldn't be too bad.....

Other suggestions would be to fly into Vegas, then drive to LA and San Diego..... The beaches are nice and you can go to Sea World in SD, and all the studios, Hollywood, etc. in LA.

The drive from LA to San Fran is probably further than you think..... LA/SD are about 4 hours from Vegas.

You're right about NYC being expensive and it can get pretty muggy during the summer months.

I voted for Texas. I would love to go there. I would have voted NYC or Florida,but since you haveallready been there,I though Texas would be a different place to go. Personally,I would love to see NYC too,but that would probably have to be after we hit the lottery!!!!

HEY !--you forgot to put Austin on your Texas list ! It's the prettiest of them all--best live music--and all the rest of the cities and be easily reached for from Austin. We are truly the HEART OF TEXAS!

dilloduck said:
HEY !--you forgot to put Austin on your Texas list ! It's the prettiest of them all--best live music--and all the rest of the cities and be easily reached for from Austin. We are truly the HEART OF TEXAS!

Austin is a great city for night life, and is quite a sight too. Corpus Chrisiti is a great city as well.

Personally, I highly recommend San Antonio, especially for someone who likes history. Granted, it's more Texas history and might not mean as much to someone from another part of the country. There's also a place called Howl at the Moon(?) that's a blast and, of course, the River Walk.

dilloduck said:

i didn't forget---i had limited space! plus, we would be doing a drive-tour of some of the major cities.

we were both leaning towards FL because we want to go back, but airfare is higher. plus we want to visit places we have never been, and maybe save FL for when Nathan is older and we can bring him to the parks.

Heat is not really an issue. We both don't mind it.

fuzzykitten99 said:
just the 2 of us. Nathan would make it too hard. we won't have a problem with finding someone to take him for a week-we have an abundance of babysitters.

we were thinking probably the last week of august through september, because 9/1 is our anniversary.

In that case Las Vegas...Babbbbyyyyy...It's the adult Disney!!!!
Just the two of you...You won't forget it!!...$$$ limits up front of course,
cuz when ya get there you won't think straight...

Mr. P

Colorado. Go skiing/snowboarding man! If you don't know how there are half-day lessons available that still allow plenty of time on the hill! If you stay on the slopes agreeable to your skill level there is only a very small chance of looking like this guy.

:crutch:

Unless you are one of those who are afraid of the Red States! :eek:

no1tovote4 said:
Colorado. Go skiing/snowboarding man! If you don't know how there are half-day lessons available that still allow plenty of time on the hill! If you stay on the slopes agreeable to your skill level there is only a very small chance of looking like this guy.

:crutch:

Unless you are one of those who are afraid of the Red States! :eek:

My hubby already suggested Colorado, because he likes skiing. but there is a problem with that.

I hate skiing. Bor-ing.

besides, if that is what i wanted to do, i would stay here, and save the money. I live in Minnesota. We have about 7 ski hills resorts within a 40 mile radius of the cities. we have snow (usually) 7 months out of the year. I hate snow. I hate the cold. The only time i enjoy it is when I go on the snow-tour with my grandpa (snowmobiling from Duluth to Iron River, MI).

fuzzykitten99 said:
My hubby already suggested Colorado, because he likes skiing. but there is a problem with that.

I hate skiing. Bor-ing.

besides, if that is what i wanted to do, i would stay here, and save the money. I live in Minnesota. We have about 7 ski hills resorts within a 40 mile radius of the cities. we have snow (usually) 7 months out of the year. I hate snow. I hate the cold. The only time i enjoy it is when I go on the snow-tour with my grandpa (snowmobiling from Duluth to Iron River, MI).

You can go snowmobiling, ice fishing, camping, shopping, and many other fabulous activities including hunting depending on how much you want to pay for a license.

However if you have never skied on the Mountains you are missing something, you cannot really compare them to those hills of yours. I skied in many different parts of the US, nothing compares to the Rockies at all, not even close.

no1tovote4 said:
You can go snowmobiling, ice fishing, camping, shopping, and many other fabulous activities including hunting depending on how much you want to pay for a license.

However if you have never skied on the Mountains you are missing something, you cannot really compare them to those hills of yours. I skied in many different parts of the US, nothing compares to the Rockies at all, not even close.

that's the thing...i can do that all here for free. the whole mountain thing would not really make any difference to me because I hate being cold. I honestly don't even like ice fishing. I like snowmobiling, but I don't want to spend the money to do something I can do here for less than 1/100th the cost, or even better, free. The mountains thing is not enough of an incentive to freeze my ass off.

Nearly all my family members have sleds that I can borrow any time. my aunt and uncle on my mom's side even RACE in semi-processional circuits, so I can even take a modified Arctic Cat Thundercat 1000 liquid-cooled sled complete with galvanized studs.

fuzzykitten99 said:
that's the thing...i can do that all here for free. the whole mountain thing would not really make any difference to me because I hate being cold. I honestly don't even like ice fishing. I like snowmobiling, but I don't want to spend the money to do something I can do here for less than 1/100th the cost, or even better, free. The mountains thing is not enough of an incentive to freeze my ass off.

LOL. Oh well. I gave it a try. Sometime you should come on out and give the snowboarding a chance on a hill with some stature.

Oh, and it isn't as cold here as some would make it out to be, and it is close to the Grand Canyon, Four Corners, etc. You guys could get the best of both worlds. NM might be the better destination for that though.

no1tovote4 said:
LOL. Oh well. I gave it a try. Sometime you should come on out and give the snowboarding a chance on a hill with some stature.

Oh, and it isn't as cold here as some would make it out to be, and it is close to the Grand Canyon, Four Corners, etc. You guys could get the best of both worlds. NM might be the better destination for that though.

i have tried snowboarding. my brother is really into it, so i tried using his many times. I still get bored. For me to participate in a sport, I need either horsepower with 4 legs, or horsepower with pistons and cylinders. My mom actually suggested maybe going to a NASCAR race, which sounds good, or a guided horseback tour in Montana.

I do appreciate the suggestion, though. I know you are just trying to help. it's not as cold here as many think too, i just hate living here about 7-8 months of the year.

no1tovote4 said:

how many times does she have to say NOT INTERESTED?

Ya know, another nice place would be Porltand, OR and the Oregon Coast!! Beautiful!

oregon-coast-2.jpg

I voted for Cali. The weather would be perfect around that time. Plus there is so much to do. Youve already been to Florida, so you can go to Disneyland instead.

fuzzykitten99 said:
isn't it overcast and rainy 99% of the time there?

Not if you go during the summer months. I lived there for three years but moved because Oregon is not a small business friendly state. Other than that and the rain from September through May, I loved it.

Really though, if you go in like June or July, the weather will most likely be nice. The coastline is BEAUTIFUL, but the water is tooo cold for swimming. Just a thought of something off the "beaten path".

Forum List

Back