Help the Homeless

Our local grocers have a program with Harvesters here in KC. At the register they have barcodes they can scan that are donations of 1, 2, 5, 10 and twenty dollars. I try to buy a ticket everytime I shop. Im not sure where all the money goes but I know its mostly for food.
There is an irritating depiction in this TV commercial. It shows a young couple trying to feed themselves from the food they retrieve from a dumpster. I don't believe that such a situation exists anywhere in the USA, and would not exist even without such charitable assistance as might be provided by the organization that created this commercial. I also thought it appropriate to mention today as the creators of the commercial are trying to "punch up" its significance by including a sound excerpt from a speech delivered by Martin Luther King. This commercial is running today on cable TV.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYulRcjKFQU]Volunteers of America "Speeches" commercial - YouTube[/ame]

What exactly constitutes the typical image of the "homeless" these days? An alcoholic drug abuser who would rather live in a cardboard box in an ally than follow the rules in a shelter? Maybe a clinically insane person turned loose by an uncaring ignorant society who thinks mental hospitals are cruel and living on the street is preferable.

What exactly constitutes the typical image of the "homeless" these days? An alcoholic drug abuser who would rather live in a cardboard box in an ally than follow the rules in a shelter? Maybe a clinically insane person turned loose by an uncaring ignorant society who thinks mental hospitals are cruel and living on the street is preferable.
Your examples are good ones. I am also familiar with men who live their lives in homeless shelters, and when their disability checks arrive from the Government at the beginning of the month they spend it on alcohol and a hotel room. When their money runs out they spend the rest of the month living for free (sober) in a shelter. When the next month arrives they repeat the cycle.

I would like to suggest that you visit a homeless shelter or soup kitchen if you have one nearby. Here in KC ours are often full of FAMILIES. Once you've looked at those children waiting for food your vision should change. Our children don't deserve punishment for the sins, bad fortune or mistakes of their parents.

Our local grocers have a program with Harvesters here in KC. At the register they have barcodes they can scan that are donations of 1, 2, 5, 10 and twenty dollars. I try to buy a ticket everytime I shop. Im not sure where all the money goes but I know its mostly for food.
There is an irritating depiction in this TV commercial. It shows a young couple trying to feed themselves from the food they retrieve from a dumpster. I don't believe that such a situation exists anywhere in the USA, and would not exist even without such charitable assistance as might be provided by the organization that created this commercial. I also thought it appropriate to mention today as the creators of the commercial are trying to "punch up" its significance by including a sound excerpt from a speech delivered by Martin Luther King. This commercial is running today on cable TV.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYulRcjKFQU]Volunteers of America "Speeches" commercial - YouTube[/ame]

People go through grocery store dumpsters all the time. They aren't homeless nor are they particularly poor. They call themselves Freegans. It is far more possible that a couple going through dumpster is a freegan rather than actually hungry. Have you seen any starving homeless around? The homeless population is on the chubby side.

Such incredible ignorance about the reality of the homeless and very poor - Its very hard to read some of these posts. How is it possible for people to be so completely unaware and so completely uncaring.

Gramps is right and unless you have actually seen it for yourself, you really have no right to pass judgment on these people.

PLEASE PRAY FOR US!

WE ARE A HOMELESS FAMILY OF 3 LIVING IN OUR CAR. WE ARE THE FACES OF HOMELESSNESS IN RI. PLEASE READ AND SHARE OUR STORY.

PLEASE READ AND SHARE OUR STORY. PLEASE VISIT AND SHARE OUR LINKS. PLEASE HELP SUPPORT A PROMISE IS A PROMISE BY SPREADING THE WORD AND IF YOU CAN DONATE IT WOULD BE APPRECIATED MORE THAN YOU CAN EVEN IMAGINE. THESE KIDS NEED A ROOF OVER THEIR HEADS AND A SAFE PLACE TO CALL HOME.

OUR STORY: In 2009, my wife was diagnosed with 3 different kinds of terminal cancer. She was so ill, I had to take on the role of Dad and Mom to our two children, whom we were raising in the childhood home of my wife. I tried so hard to keep it together for my family. It was so hard to see my wife suffer and to know the sadness my kids felt knowing their Mom would soon go to heaven. I suffered from a breakdown soon after that. I could no longer work and applied for disability benefits. Our family quickly fell into financial turmoil. On July 1, 2011, my wife lost her battle with cancer and passed away. She was the rock that kept our family together. The grief my kids and I suffered was too much for me to bear and I suffered yet another breakdown. Raising two kids with no income was extremely difficult. My kids had no baskets on Easter, no gifts or cake for their birthdays, no Thanksgiving dinner, no Christmas tree or presents to go underneath, no stockings stuffed with goodies. Although it broke my heart, at least we had each other. On August 1st 2013, I was diagnosed with kidney cancer and on the same exact day received an eviction notice and 30 days to move out. On September 1st 2013, I had surgery to remove my kidney, the same exact day we left our home. With nowhere to go as a family, we were forced to leave all of our belongings behind except for the clothes on our backs. 35 Years of memories lost. For a short time we had to split up, each of us living in separate, temporary homes. We reunited but lived in 7 different places in 8 months. For the past few months, the 3 of us have been living in our car. I have been denied disability benefits four times and am currently in the appeals process. We are only living on food stamps and as of July 1st of this year, I will no longer receive cash assistance from the state and we will be living on only food stamps while I wait to hear the decision from disability. I made a promise to my kids that I would do anything to buy back the home that they were born and raised in, where their Mom was raised and passed away, where they feel safe, secure and close to their Mom. I will be continuing this campaign Until I reach my goal of buying back our family home where we belong.

Please Google the following phrases to find our links so you can review the media coverage and read our story, contact us or make a donation. Please share these links. You can also find me on Facebook "Bill Roche" Thanks for bearing with me, I am not allowed to post links until I have made 15 or more posts.

on YouTube search "dedicated father" and a few results down the page is my video of my plea to America

SEARCH THE FOLLOWING TO FIND THE TWO LINKS TO OUR LOCAL MEDIA COVERAGE ON MY FUNDRAISING EFFORTS
"WARWICK ONLINE HOMELESS FATHER" AND "ABC 6 NEWS RI HOMELESS FATHER"
SEARCH THE FOLLOWING TO FIND LINKS ARE WHERE YOU CAN DONATE
"CROWDRISE A PROMISE IS A PROMISE FUNDRAISER" AND "GO FUND ME A PROMISE IS A PROMISE"

If I can put any roof over my kids heads, and not the home we once shared, I would be just as grateful. Any place for my kids to feel safe and comfortable would make we happy.

Thank You So Much For The Opportunity To Introduce Myself And Share Our Story!!!

Please Pray For Us!

Thank you for taking the time to read my introduction.

Every dollar helps. In my county, a retired local minister runs both a food bank and clothing bank. Way out in the woods, donations always appreciated, and all goes to the poor; he lives in the tiny old shack, drives a motorcycle, borrows vehicles. We donate for his "salary" from the looks of his belongings, he doesn't spend much.

Last edited:

I would like to suggest that you visit a homeless shelter or soup kitchen if you have one nearby. Here in KC ours are often full of FAMILIES. Once you've looked at those children waiting for food your vision should change. Our children don't deserve punishment for the sins, bad fortune or mistakes of their parents.

Thank you, Murked.

Forum List

Back