Help the Homeless

Article 15

Dr. House slayer
Jul 4, 2008
All,

If you can, please do something for the homeless. Not just now because it is Christmas but whenever you can.

I saw something last night that rocked me straight to the core and I will never be the same. I don't want to get into the details of what I saw because it's just too damn sad to share.

Many of us have no clue how good we have it.

I'm begging you all, please, go out and help your fellow man anyway you can.

- Matt

:clap2:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWUYYSijfvo]Band Aid - Do They Know its Christmas 1984 HD - YouTube[/ame]

Factors Contributing to Homelessness

Automobile related - Broken down car, no insurance, tickets, etc.
Decline in Public Assistance - Current TANF benefits and food stamps combined are below the poverty level in every state; in fact, the median TANF benefit for a family of three is approximately one-third of the poverty level. Thus, contrary to popular opinion, welfare does not provide relief from poverty.
Divorce - Divorce often leaves one of the spouses homeless. Most often it’s the father, but sometimes it’s the mother and children or everyone involved.
Domestic Violence - Battered women who live in poverty are often forced to choose between abusive relationships and homelessness.
Drug and Alcohol related problems - Rates of alcohol and drug abuse are disproportionately high among the homeless population.
Illness - For families and individuals struggling to pay the rent, a serious illness or disability can start a downward spiral into homelessness, beginning with a lost job, depletion of savings to pay for care, and eventual eviction.
Job loss - No income to pay rent.
Lack of affordable housing- The lack of affordable housing has lead to high rent burdens (rents which absorb a high proportion of income), overcrowding, and substandard housing.
Lack of child support - In families where child support is ordered but not paid, the decrease in income can lead to an inability to pay rent, utilities, or both.
Low wages - Declining wages have put housing out of reach for many workers: in every state, more than the minimum wage is required to afford a one- or two-bedroom apartment at Fair Market Rent.
Mental Illness - Approximately 20-25% of the single adult homeless population suffer from some form of severe and persistent mental illness.
Natural Disaster / Fire - Situations where due to chance a fire, tornado, flood or hurricane renders housing inhabitable.
Physical Disabilities - Disabled individuals may be unable to work or find appropriate employment. For those receiving SSI, they often struggle to obtain and maintain stable housing.
Post Traumatic Stress Disorder - This disorder is common with veterans and those that have been in violent situations. It can make it difficult to have a stable life.
Poverty - Being poor means being an illness, an accident, or a paycheck away from living on the streets.
Roommates - When one or more roommates falls through with their end of the bargain, they can be a reason for others becoming homeless.
Severe Depression - Can make it impossible for an individual to maintain a stable life.
Tragedy - It is surprising how many people just quit functioning because their families died or were killed...sometimes recently...other times 15 years ago...other times 30 years ago.

Causes of Homelessness

Factors Contributing to Homelessness

Automobile related - Broken down car, no insurance, tickets, etc.
Decline in Public Assistance - Current TANF benefits and food stamps combined are below the poverty level in every state; in fact, the median TANF benefit for a family of three is approximately one-third of the poverty level. Thus, contrary to popular opinion, welfare does not provide relief from poverty.
Divorce - Divorce often leaves one of the spouses homeless. Most often it’s the father, but sometimes it’s the mother and children or everyone involved.
Domestic Violence - Battered women who live in poverty are often forced to choose between abusive relationships and homelessness.
Drug and Alcohol related problems - Rates of alcohol and drug abuse are disproportionately high among the homeless population.
Illness - For families and individuals struggling to pay the rent, a serious illness or disability can start a downward spiral into homelessness, beginning with a lost job, depletion of savings to pay for care, and eventual eviction.
Job loss - No income to pay rent.
Lack of affordable housing- The lack of affordable housing has lead to high rent burdens (rents which absorb a high proportion of income), overcrowding, and substandard housing.
Lack of child support - In families where child support is ordered but not paid, the decrease in income can lead to an inability to pay rent, utilities, or both.
Low wages - Declining wages have put housing out of reach for many workers: in every state, more than the minimum wage is required to afford a one- or two-bedroom apartment at Fair Market Rent.
Mental Illness - Approximately 20-25% of the single adult homeless population suffer from some form of severe and persistent mental illness.
Natural Disaster / Fire - Situations where due to chance a fire, tornado, flood or hurricane renders housing inhabitable.
Physical Disabilities - Disabled individuals may be unable to work or find appropriate employment. For those receiving SSI, they often struggle to obtain and maintain stable housing.
Post Traumatic Stress Disorder - This disorder is common with veterans and those that have been in violent situations. It can make it difficult to have a stable life.
Poverty - Being poor means being an illness, an accident, or a paycheck away from living on the streets.
Roommates - When one or more roommates falls through with their end of the bargain, they can be a reason for others becoming homeless.
Severe Depression - Can make it impossible for an individual to maintain a stable life.
Tragedy - It is surprising how many people just quit functioning because their families died or were killed...sometimes recently...other times 15 years ago...other times 30 years ago.

Causes of Homelessness

And here all this time I thought it was just cuz they're all lazy libtards. :dunno:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yN4Uu0OlmTg]John Lennon - Happy Xmas (War Is Over) - YouTube[/ame]

All,

If you can, please do something for the homeless. Not just now because it is Christmas but whenever you can.

I saw something last night that rocked me straight to the core and I will never be the same. I don't want to get into the details of what I saw because it's just too damn sad to share.

- Matt

I have in the past and will in the future.

Honestly this time of year if you have old blankets/warm cloathes you aren't going to wear instead of dumping them at the salvation army or one of those donate cloathing dumpsters physically take it into the city and pass out stuff to the homeless you do see (not the panhandlers who just left their appartment but the dude you see who is obviously living in that spot in the back alley).

For our fellow MA residents who wish to help but don't know how please go to this website Volunteering: Massachusetts - HUD or check here http://www.nationalhomeless.org/index.html

But honestly the best thing you can do is physically bring some warm cloathes or food to these people if you have the time to do so....that way you know your help goes to the right place.

Last edited by a moderator:
All,

- Matt

I have in the past and will in the future.

Honestly this time of year if you have old blankets/warm cloathes you aren't going to wear instead of dumping them at the salvation army or one of those donate cloathing dumpsters physically take it into the city and pass out stuff to the homeless you do see (not the panhandlers who just left their appartment but the dude you see who is obviously living in that spot in the back alley).

For our fellow MA residents who wish to help but don't know how please go to this website Volunteering: Massachusetts - HUD or check here National Coalition for the Homeless

But honestly the best thing you can do is physically bring some warm cloathes or food to these people if you have the time to do so....that way you know your help goes to the right place.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeqie0-Uhi8]Feeding The Homeless in Worcester and Boston, MA - YouTube[/ame]

Thanks, yo.

the irony of all the foreclosures ...houses sitting empty and yet there are homeless families needing shelter...sometimes all people need is hope and a bit of a hand towards a new start

i think it is hard for most people to realize....sometimes its just the price of a haircut that stands between you and a job.....imagine your future depending on a cheap haircut...

While you're about the business of being a humanitarian?

Help the real estate poor, too...the faltering working middle class

Otherwise the homeless is a class of Amerian people that is going to keep growing.

While you're about the business of being a humanitarian?

Help the real estate poor, too...the faltering working middle class

Otherwise the homeless is a class of Amerian people that is going to keep growing.

Don't turn a call for helping those less fortunate into some political bullshit.

What the hell is wrong with you.

Sorry article, that post rubbed me the wrong way in the spirit of this thread.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXjM29chy8M]Harvard students help the homeless - YouTube[/ame]

I already do - all year, not just at Christmas. However, I will be waitressing at their Christmas Lunch next week... on 20th.

Interestingly.... about a year ago, I was working with this homeless guy.... teaching computer skills, improving his communication skills, role playing interviews and shit... So, last January, he got a job. Last week, he came into the center - with a box of chocolates for me... to say 'thanks' for helping him. He's been employed for almost a year, got an apartment, stayed off drink and drugs, has a girlfriend and is generally doing really well.

There is no better gift for me than to see him doing so well.

I already do - all year, not just at Christmas. However, I will be waitressing at their Christmas Lunch next week... on 20th.

Interestingly.... about a year ago, I was working with this homeless guy.... teaching computer skills, improving his communication skills, role playing interviews and shit... So, last January, he got a job. Last week, he came into the center - with a box of chocolates for me... to say 'thanks' for helping him. He's been employed for almost a year, got an apartment, stayed off drink and drugs, has a girlfriend and is generally doing really well.

Thank you for sharing this, CG

Thank you for sharing this, CG

I was kind of hoping that it would encourage others to do something - if you can't afford money, give time. I happen to believe that part of our purpose on this earth is to help our fellow man. I do what I can do. I'm good with computers, I'm good with words, and... I have discovered... I have a lot of patience when teaching others.... So, that's what I can do. Most of us have skills and abilities that we can pass on - and if we do that - we can help someone else to turn their life around.

And..... it beats the crap out of standing in the freezing cold and wet, dressed as an elf, collecting money.... which is how I spent most mornings this month. :lol:

the irony of all the foreclosures ...houses sitting empty and yet there are homeless families needing shelter...sometimes all people need is hope and a bit of a hand towards a new start

i think it is hard for most people to realize....sometimes its just the price of a haircut that stands between you and a job.....imagine your future depending on a cheap haircut...

That's actually a really good point. Often the difference between getting a job and not getting it is something so simple... so for any of us who have the skill to give a decent hair cut, maybe they could volunteer at their local shelter? Or dig out some decent clothes that are just hanging in the wardrobe, get them cleaned and take them down. There is so much that we can do that will help.

Small things make a big difference.

I help the homeless all year; at work and off time. Right now my big push is to get as many on the medical reservation list as I can; there's no open program for adults w/out children who don't have any insurance, so there's a lottery. We aren't required or encouraged to put food stamp applicants on the list, and it takes time and effort but I put every single one of my homeless applicants/clients on it and they're getting on. They're drawing 6500 names this month, I don't know how many are scheduled next month. I explain to the homeless I see and speak to (away from work) exactly where to go for help, and I give what I can or what I have on me.

Most of them have addiction or mental illness issues. It doesn't matter, they need help.

Forum List

Back