help...squirrels in the attic

Trap and cap. Then trade. :D

Put peanut butta onna cracka inside the trap. If you choose to dump them outside you need to take a long hike. Squirrels can sniff there way back unless they're dumped 5 miles away.

Patch the holes.

BTW - we always suspected you had squirrels in your attic. ;)

oooooooooooo update: we have to go to tractor supply in tn to get the traps....so i get off early and we head over....there is a wreck in the "curve" you know all rural areas have a "curve" or something...its a sharp curve that causes trucks going too fast to shift loads and overturn....we are use to delays when that happens....so we sit for a long time...joking around discussing the squirrells..well him cussing them cause they are the reason we are sitting in traffic....waiting...it was no truck in the curve...a small truck and a car has hit head on..it was horrible...no one could have lived....air bags deployed etc...it was just sad....so get to the supply place...get traps and a spray repellent....used the trap...no luck...used the repellent.....so far so good...

they got in thru a hole in the soffitt....and i am not happy with that....

but i looked the wreck up this am....all three people are in stable but critcal condition after being cut out of the vehicles and airlifted to regional medical centers....air bags ...i am amazed

okay the ongoing saga.....da man..."i am gonna kill those squirrels before they take over"....of coure i object and he gives in....they are so cute....

well last couple of nights the dogs...thor and jake have been going nuts...i figured it was just the coming full moon ...so last night they are barking hard....you know any noise after dark ...is man noise and for da man to deal with....so i punch his sorry ass awake with a sharp elbow...he finds the dogs barking at the ceiling....

we got squirrels in the attic...

he is livid...beyond livid...kinda real friggin pissed at me.....we are putting the trail cam in the attic to id the culprits...we have to go to tractor supply and buy a couple of traps..my left eye is twitching...cause he is just pissed ....somehow this all is my fault....words and comments have been made....i ask him if he knew that babies were born in the winter and the squirrels would be nursing in feb...o my....o my...that man has a temper at times.

No squirrels no squirrels in the attic, so YA it was your fault.

o and how did i know you would agree with him, sunshine, how did i know.....

a horror thought....he can kill them while i am at work.....he wouldnt dare...ooooo hell ya he would....i must go nag....

and hide shells...lol...and bullets...he would use the .22

• Thanks
Reactions: 007
no no no ... no permanent solutions here...as the man calls flat out killing them....my plan....trap them...cover holes with hardware mesh...(man would like to point out my ass is not doing this, his is) so hostile that one....take the trapped squirrells to an isolated place with no houses and free them....take each one caught to the same place to reunite the family (insert quite nasty words here from man)

Fix your house so they can't get in. Problem solved.

I've got squirrels running all over outside my house because I feed them. Don't have any in my attic.

NOPE. They will gnaw a new hole once they are established. As I think I posted before
Kill all squirrels around your home till the noise in the attic stops. Problem solved, worked for me.

no no no ... no permanent solutions here...as the man calls flat out killing them....my plan....trap them...cover holes with hardware mesh...(man would like to point out my ass is not doing this, his is) so hostile that one....take the trapped squirrells to an isolated place with no houses and free them....take each one caught to the same place to reunite the family (insert quite nasty words here from man)

I've got squirrels running all over outside my house because I feed them. Don't have any in my attic.

NOPE. They will gnaw a new hole once they are established. As I think I posted before
Kill all squirrels around your home till the noise in the attic stops. Problem solved, worked for me.

Then put some tin flashing over the hole.

Don't take any chances with the little fucker

Flamethrower_5.jpg

You gonna flash your entire house?
I have been there done that, the squirrels must die.

Or be trapped and released a long way off.

Try hooking a strobe light to a motion detector in the attic. Try hooking up a CD player playing "Afternoon delight". Hopefully the squirrel's will move out before you.

I gave the squirrels that were playing in my attic swimming lessons.

Each time one showed up in the trap I'd fill a garbage can with water and toss the trap in.

Not one of 'em ever did learn to swim.

For those who think they're cute, think of them as rats only with big fluffy tails.

Some like Squirrel brains in their scrambled eggs...

Me, I just like to watch the little buggers playing in the trees.

I've lived in the country and the back woods long enough to know that whatever it is your saying happened to you is NOT unique to EVERYONE. Squirrels are scared shitless of people, and given a chance they'd rather nest in a tree. That I'd say is normal for a squirrel. If you had one that you just couldn't force to leave your house alone, then I'd say that was one squirrel out of millions that was strange.

o btw any suggestions or experiences dealing with squirrells..?
I had a very similar experience. In our last house we had a lot of hickory and oak trees in our back yard, and the squirrels could easily get on the roof. One squirrel took a fancy to our roof, and there was a rotted out fascia board at one end at a cornice. This squirrel found a way to get in and out of our attic; I knew that because I saw it going in and out. Also where it was going in was over my office and I could hear a lot of noise up there. I didn't want to confront it up there in a cramped and dirty attic where it had the advantage of size. Knowing what it was up to I got myself a chair and sat myself down and watched for it to leave. Once I saw where it was getting access, I got a piece of gauge sheet metal. and set up a ladder nearby. Once it left to go do what squirrels do, I climbed up on the ladder and slipped the piece of sheetmetal up under the metal roof edge and down into the gutter. I thought that would keep it out.

But when it came back to its new home, and found it had been blocked off, somehow it was able to get the piece of sheet-metal out of its way. So, I decided, this was going to be harder than I'd thought.

I waited for it to leave and put the sheetmetal back again but with a more permanent fix, using screws. Later, sitting in my office I could hear a struggle going on above my head in the roof overhang. I went outside and the squirrel was doing its best to pull it out, and it was visibly angry. Planting its feet in the gutter it (actually standing on its hind feet) grabbed the sheet metal, or maybe the roof edge and tried to pull it out of the way.

As I watched all this with my Staffy (a cousin to the Pit-bull - see the attachment below) was watching too. Suddenly the squirrel's grip on the sheet metal slipped and it fell about 12 feet to the ground, where it lay, stunned. My dog saw it's opportunity, and ran up, scooped it up, and shook the life out of it.

The caveat here is that squirrels are very determined, once they get in they don't take kindly to being kept out.

Our dog "Babe" and the squirrels; she caught one on occasion...The permanent solution

Attachments

• $Babe on Tether-802x543.jpg
    $Babe on Tether-802x543.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:

I've lived in the country and the back woods long enough to know that whatever it is your saying happened to you is NOT unique to EVERYONE. Squirrels are scared shitless of people, and given a chance they'd rather nest in a tree. That I'd say is normal for a squirrel. If you had one that you just couldn't force to leave your house alone, then I'd say that was one squirrel out of millions that was strange.

Nope it is like people building on a flood plain. Once they move in they want to stay.

One other thought, if you have a good cat give them access to the attic. Might work. One of my cats climbs trees and pulls squirrels out of their nest.

Last edited:
okay the ongoing saga.....da man..."i am gonna kill those squirrels before they take over"....of coure i object and he gives in....they are so cute....

well last couple of nights the dogs...thor and jake have been going nuts...i figured it was just the coming full moon ...so last night they are barking hard....you know any noise after dark ...is man noise and for da man to deal with....so i punch his sorry ass awake with a sharp elbow...he finds the dogs barking at the ceiling....

we got squirrels in the attic...

he is livid...beyond livid...kinda real friggin pissed at me.....we are putting the trail cam in the attic to id the culprits...we have to go to tractor supply and buy a couple of traps..my left eye is twitching...cause he is just pissed ....somehow this all is my fault....words and comments have been made....i ask him if he knew that babies were born in the winter and the squirrels would be nursing in feb...o my....o my...that man has a temper at times.

Bones if you put moth balls in the attic the squirrels wont come in there anymore. The critters hate the smell of moth balls. I have a car i keep in storage and a few sheds on my property and I used to always have problems with critters making nests in my car/lawn mower/sheds. I put some moth balls in there a few years ago at the beginning of each winter and the critters have never returned

It doesn't work on all animals but for some it does.

Bones if you put moth balls in the attic the squirrels wont come in there anymore. The critters hate the smell of moth balls. I have a car i keep in storage and a few sheds on my property and I used to always have problems with critters making nests in my car/lawn mower/sheds. I put some moth balls in there a few years ago at the beginning of each winter and the critters have never returned

It doesn't work on all animals but for some it does.

This really works. I had the same problem with squirrels eating the vinyl covering of the cables under my van. I would see them up under there, working away, and already had to have electrical repairs so it was a serious problem. I would periodically put mothballs under it, and that would keep them away for a while; but weather and time would make the smell less powerful and they had to be replaced.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back