Help requested. Child in debt.

Do you supposed he trained them to throw rocks and riot? Because that is apparently his answer to this.

No wonder the girl is clueless.
That is funny. Actually, she is an honor student. The bank through which she was receiving her student loans was one that collapsed and with that collapse the final few months of payments were not paid to her. SO, she paid for her necessities with the Credit card thinking that she would get a job right out of college and pay off the few thousands she ran up on the card. Unfortunately, she has not landed a full time job because of the economic Depression/Recession we are in.

I raised 32 Foster children in addition to my own eight. I have never taught them to throw stones and riot, but I do understand people who are so frustrated that they see that as the only way to fight back against a heartless system. You on the other hand would probably say that it was perfectly justified to shoot the rioters dead in the streets. Do you favor capital punishment for misdemeanors?

If you're so worried about it, why not just give her a few thousand to pay it off. Let her pay you back.

If I hear about the 32 foster kids one more time, btw, I'm gonna puke. Stop bragging about yourself.

EVERY CC company states they will raise your interest rate to the maximum if you're even so much as one payment late on your bills.

Here's a heads-up for you sport. They can raise your rates on a whim.

You can have paid your bills responsibly, not have a single past due and they can STILL raise your rates.

And there isn't jackshit you can do about it, either.

You think that our laws should allow that, do you?

I think you have to be an asskissing tool to be good with that.

You agree to that the second your card is swiped for it's first purchase.

Yeah, I know...I read the fine print. Like I said I jettisoned CCs decades ago after using them for thirty years BEFORE they went from a service which was a valuable tool to a trap set out to screw people.

I don't....not ever.

It's as simple as that.

Well for me, yeah.

But for the millions of Americans who thought that the credit card companies only punished bad credit risks by jerking around the rate of interest (as you apparently still do) it IS a big deal.

Being robbed legally always is, actually.

Nobody makes you apply for them, nobody makes you accept them, and nobody's standing there twisting your arm while the cashier swipes your card for that bag of doritos.

Talk to me about that when you find your rate of interest on money you borrowed (thinking that it would never go up on you) has doubled or tripled.

You think it cannot happen to you?

You're wrong.

It is happening to millions of people who have excellent credit histories.

Why are the credit card campanies doing this to them?

Because they can, that's why.

Here's a heads up for you, sport. They did raise my interest rates, and you know what? I agreed to let them do that, too, the first time I used that credit card. I have since decided not to use it anymore, as is also my choice..

It does you no good to bitch about what they're doing "to you", when you agreed to let it happen by opening the account in the first place.

If I remember right, you said you don't use CC's, so you haven't got a problem. Someone else has decided to use theirs, and now has a problem.. That's their problem; not yours. They agreed to it by opening the account; they now have to pay for it.

It really is as simple as that.

Unfortunately, the only thing that you can do is pay the card off. After all, she spent their money. Now they want it back.

She can also file bankruptcy.

And for Dis: They can also raise your interest rate to the max if you're late on a DIFFERENT credit card.

If you're living that close to the wire that a jump in interest is going to max you out, force you to pay late, etc, you have no business even having one active credit card, much less multiple. You can't afford them.

My very money smart sister went through a situation like this when she was done with college. I dont know the full scope of the situation, but I do know that she had paid for some course books and a few other things with her CC, and wasnt able to pay the $ back til she landed a job after graduation. Her interest also hiked a bit, not not a friggin 20%.

My money retarded older brother also went for a couple merry-go-round rides also, but he pretty much screwed himself.

Thats the advantage of being the youngest child: you learn from your siblings mistakes (some of em anyways). I wont EVER have a credit card. I use cash and debit only. If I cant save to pay for it, I dont need it. PERIOD.

That being said:

Tell her to change her cell number. Not the most honest of things to do, and the CC company will eventually get her new one, but it should hold the calls at bay for the time being. However, that doesnt mean ignore the situation.

Also tell her to make her best effort to pay her MMP, if that means shes a Ramen Noodle eating fool, then so be it. Shes used to it, she was a college student afterall.

Tell her to suck up her pride, and contact one of the Non-profit credit counseling orgs.

A second job is what helped get my sister through her ordeal. I'd recommend it to your daughter also.

Then tell her to cut her credit cards up. All of them.

Good luck.

EVERY CC company states they will raise your interest rate to the maximum if you're even so much as one payment late on your bills.

Here's a heads-up for you sport. They can raise your rates on a whim.

Just like your mortgage company can call in your loan whenever they want to. Then you'd have to pay it in full immediately.

It is unlikely they would do it, but it they did, you'd be fucked.

unfortunately neubarth cc companies dont wanna hear that a person can't pay their bills. its good a friend has offered her a job and she can pay the bill. if you call the company is good faith as she did they will just raise the rates.

Credit cards are a handy thing to have and use BUT you gotta pay 'em off in full every month. To not do so is insane.

I wont EVER have a credit card. I use cash and debit only. If I cant save to pay for it, I dont need it. PERIOD.

Then it's unlikely you'll be able to buy a house or a car either. Getting phone service is even difficult if you don't have credit.

You might want to reconsider that and use self-control and have a credit card you can pay off at the end of every month.[/QUOTE]

unfortunately neubarth cc companies dont wanna hear that a person can't pay their bills. its good a friend has offered her a job and she can pay the bill. if you call the company is good faith as she did they will just raise the rates.

That is exactly what she found out. Good faith communication only results in the company raising the interest rates from 9% to 29% overnight. Chase is morally and ethically corrupt to the max. I feel like taking one of those worn out Discount Tires and throwing it throught their window to show my disgust at a company like that.

Of course, what I "feel like doing" and what I actually do are two different things. In reality, I will write a letter of protest that will most likely never be read. I will have expressed my indignation at a company like that, and they will continue to attack graduating college seniors. Eventually, though, somebody will throw that tire or a brick or a bomb throught the front window. I will read it on the Internet and fully understand why he did it. (In all fairness to the opposite sex, if it was a woman, I will understand why she did it, too.)

Last edited:

Forum List

Back