Help....pets at hotels...what's the deal now?

Mini 14

Jun 6, 2010
I'm thinking of hitting the road with the wife and daughter, but no plans on where or when we'll stop (not even where we're going). Only thing is, daughter refuses to go without her chihuahua.

Are most hotels open to pets now, or will we have trouble finding places that allow her to stay in the room with my daughter?

Thanks GC!

I have looked at a couple of the on-line sites, and they leave you with the impression that its not that big of a deal these days, but I just wanted to get a feel for it from people who might have traveled with pets recently, because the point of this trip is that we don't know where we're going, where we're staying, what we're doing, or when we're coming home.

With that in mind, it would suck to get caught in the snow, at 10pm, looking for a hotel that would take an 8# dog, while listening to my wife tell me what an idiot I am :)

Thanks GC!

I have looked at a couple of the on-line sites, and they leave you with the impression that its not that big of a deal these days, but I just wanted to get a feel for it from people who might have traveled with pets recently, because the point of this trip is that we don't know where we're going, where we're staying, what we're doing, or when we're coming home.

With that in mind, it would suck to get caught in the snow, at 10pm, looking for a hotel that would take an 8# dog, while listening to my wife tell me what an idiot I am :)

If you don't get called an idiot at least 4 times (twice from wife, and twice from daughter) during that trip, mostly just for breathing and driving, you've done something right. :thup:

I'm thinking of hitting the road with the wife and daughter, but no plans on where or when we'll stop (not even where we're going). Only thing is, daughter refuses to go without her chihuahua.

Are most hotels open to pets now, or will we have trouble finding places that allow her to stay in the room with my daughter?
Glad to see who calls the shot's around there big guy.:lol::lol::lol:

Just to clarify, in order:

1. Daughter
2. Dog
3. Wife
4. Mini 14 :)

Although I did put the foot down and said "we're going somewhere, we're getting snowed in, and the rest is up to ya'll." I'm an early riser, so I'll be gone before sunrise, get my fishing in, then be back before they wake.......just in time to take them shopping for the rest of the day :)

Thanks GC!

If you don't get called an idiot at least 4 times (twice from wife, and twice from daughter) during that trip, mostly just for breathing and driving, you've done something right. :thup:

I won't make it past the mailbox. Likely won't even have the car packed before that happens :)

Just to clarify, in order:

1. Daughter
2. Dog
3. Wife
4. Mini 14 :)

Although I did put the foot down and said "we're going somewhere, we're getting snowed in, and the rest is up to ya'll." I'm an early riser, so I'll be gone before sunrise, get my fishing in, then be back before they wake.......just in time to take them shopping for the rest of the day :)

Sounds about the way my household is..

1. Girlfriend.
2. Cat.
3. Dog.
4. Sallow.

You could always just smuggle the critter in. It will be crated right? No pee pee on the carpet.

Most motels have a pet room.

Suggestion: Let your daughter sleep in it. You and the rest get another room. They're usually gross smelling, though you do get used to it.

I have a Parson Russell terrorist who had a nervous breakdown a few years ago when the family and I went on vacation without her. We left her at home, and had somebody come in to take care of her. She wouldn't eat, or drink....she embarked on a bizarre false pregnancy. When we arrived home she was on the couch and wouldn't leave it for days. She bit both my daughter and I when we dared to touch her (I thought she was injured, the freak).

Next time, I said, "Poor baby, we won't leave you!" and took her with us.

The most gawdawful trip I have ever embarked upon. The motel we stayed at on the beach was revolting, though it did have a nice beach. My daughter was almost bitten in the face by a big boxer. At the end of about the third day I found a kennel in the yellow pages. I literally threw her at them and raced out of the parking lot, laughing maniacally...after telling them (yelling at them...the noise was unbelievable) that she didn't like other dogs, so the option of putting her in with "the pack" didn't exist.

I picked her up a couple of days later, she was still barking but her voice was substantially muted, and every dog in that place tried to bite her as they pulled her out of her isolated kennel and carried her through the main kennel to me.

Now she stays at home, where if she wants to die, she can. At least it saves me from having to actually kill her. And oddly, we've never had a repeat of the neurotic symptoms. At least not to that degree. She gets better each time.

Forum List

Back