Help! PBS Documentary

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by freeandfun1, Aug 21, 2004.

1. freeandfun1

freeandfun1 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +296
    About three years ago I watched one of those documentaries on PBS where somebody tells the story of a parent, or something like that. They always self-made documentaries by journalists that grew up as poor minorities, or some journalist that has a "hard-luck" story to share.

Well, I would like to find the documentary I saw that was about a journalist that was telling her story of growing up without a father. Her father had been killed in Vietnam before she was born.

Well, now that I look back at the story, it was nothing but a pre-campaign piece for John Kerry. How? Well, the entire story was about how her father had been killed and guess who he had served under? John Kerry.

In the documentary, I remember John Kerry talking about how he had been killed in the same incident that Kerry had won his Silver Star. Now from what I understand, nobody was killed in that action other than the kid with the RPG. I am not sure, so I will admit that.

Anyway, I would like to see if what JK said in that documentary jives with what he is saying today.

It would be interesting to see. I remember thinking, "who is this guy? he sounds like a real hero".

Geeze. If I had only been keeping up huh?

2. insein

insein Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +356
    How long ago? You remember month, year?

3. freeandfun1

freeandfun1 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +296
    I'm gonna be honest, I don't remember. It was one of those nights when I was just "flip'n" through the channels.

What caught my eye was the footage of Vietnam. I always stop to watch military footage on documentaries.

I am perusing the PBS website now trying to find out if I might be able to locate it and then order it.

**EDIT**

I found it. The title is, "Be Good, Smile Pretty"

But I was wrong.... I think her father just went to Annapolis with Kerry.

Anyway, I found this interesting point in story about her documentary on the VVA.com website.
    Wouldn't that imply that ALL radio transmissions were recorded? I would love to hear the radio transmissions from Kerry's HEROIC events.

Here are some links:

Donald Glenn Droz

Be Good, Smile Pretty

Death of the 43 - PDF FILE

4. insein

insein Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +356
    http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/amex/vietnam/111ts.html

A transcript with Kerry in it. But no mention of the Silver star incident.

Nothing yet though.

5. freeandfun1

freeandfun1 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +296
    BUMP - NOTICE EDITED PORTION

I'm gonna be honest, I don't remember. It was one of those nights when I was just "flip'n" through the channels.

What caught my eye was the footage of Vietnam. I always stop to watch military footage on documentaries.

I am perusing the PBS website now trying to find out if I might be able to locate it and then order it.

**EDIT**

I found it. The title is, "Be Good, Smile Pretty"

But I was wrong.... I think her father just went to Annapolis with Kerry.

Anyway, I found this interesting point in story about her documentary on the VVA.com website.
    Wouldn't that imply that ALL radio transmissions were recorded? I would love to hear the radio transmissions from Kerry's HEROIC events.

Here are some links:

Donald Glenn Droz

Be Good, Smile Pretty

Death of the 43 - PDF FILE

6. Jimmyeatworld

Jimmyeatworld Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +223
    http://www.richardsilverstein.com/tikun_olam/2003/12/xxx_smile_prett.html

This doesn't say anything about the Silver Star, but it does offer this interesting little bit.

"It is also important to note that in A Soldier's Story, John Kerry, one of Droz' close friends during the War, reveals that he decided he'd finally had enough of combat when he learned of Droz' death on the River. Within a short time Kerry requested a transfer out of combat with Droz' death being the catalyst that transformed him into an antiwar activist."

7. insein

insein Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +356
    That is a very interesting tidbit. Good find, free.