Help Me Understand This Lefters...

are you on the medical marihuana ???

Considering that I served 20 years in the US Military, yeah.......I think I'm qualified to figure out what is and isn't torture.

How much did you serve? Have you been waterboarded? If so, did it feel like torture?

And........FWIW..........yes, for SF types, they DO go through waterboarding training, but that is because they deploy to countries that don't recognize the Geneva Conventions, and they need to be prepared mentally if something goes wrong and they're captured in those nations, as they WILL use that technique.

But seeing as torture is defined as something that has long lasting physical and or psychological affects....how can you say waterboarding is torture if we do it to our SF's?

I mean.....do they string up our SF's to electircal chords and shock them to a point just before being lethal to prepare them just in case they are captured?

They don't get waterboarded every day for a month straight. It's usually (from what I've heard from friends who were SF), a one time deal so that they are aware of what it is like.

No, they don't do it repeatedly to them.

However, waterboarding someone 4 times/day for 35 days straight would leave some kind of mental effects.

Torture does not yield reliable information. That's why it's not admissible in court. Because information obtained through torture is not reliable.

Enhanced interrogation is not torture and information derived from interogations can and is admissable in a court of law.

Torture is subjective, do you consider having someone stripped naked, placed in a cell with temperatures in the 50's and doused with water ever so often torture? How about making someone stand for long periods of time depriving them of sleep and food, is that torture?

What about any of these methods that our military uses:

1.Yelling
2.Loud music, and light control
3.Environmental manipulation
4.Sleep deprivation/adjustment
5.Stress positions
6.20-hour interrogations
7.Controlled fear (muzzled dogs)

Is any one of these torture?

Considering that I served 20 years in the US Military, yeah.......I think I'm qualified to figure out what is and isn't torture.

How much did you serve? Have you been waterboarded? If so, did it feel like torture?

And........FWIW..........yes, for SF types, they DO go through waterboarding training, but that is because they deploy to countries that don't recognize the Geneva Conventions, and they need to be prepared mentally if something goes wrong and they're captured in those nations, as they WILL use that technique.

But seeing as torture is defined as something that has long lasting physical and or psychological affects....how can you say waterboarding is torture if we do it to our SF's?

I mean.....do they string up our SF's to electircal chords and shock them to a point just before being lethal to prepare them just in case they are captured?

They don't get waterboarded every day for a month straight. It's usually (from what I've heard from friends who were SF), a one time deal so that they are aware of what it is like.

However, waterboarding someone 4 times/day for 35 days straight would leave some kind of mental effects.

but the act of waterboarding does not fall into the category of torture....for if it did, we would not be able to do it to our special forces.

You know....poking ones finger into the arm of someone is nothing.

Doing it over and over and over again can be deemed as harrassment...and COULD result in an injury.

Not sure how that fits in.....but I am trying to make it work.

Have a great evening.

but the act of waterboarding does not fall into the category of torture....for if it did, we would not be able to do it to our special forces.

You know....poking ones finger into the arm of someone is nothing.

Doing it over and over and over again can be deemed as harrassment...and COULD result in an injury.

Not sure how that fits in.....but I am trying to make it work.

Have a great evening.

Like I said, doing it once to someone to let them know what they could be in for is MUCH DIFFERENT than waterboarding them once every 6 hours for a month straight.

The first is familiarization, the second is torture.

Obama recently in Asia said that water boarding is still considered torture. So, if we captured the scum OBL we would not have used this methodology? So we shot/killed him to take this Obama policy issue off the table? I'm struggling to understand this inconsistency in message!?

Whether we should torture people is one issue (the answer is no, we should not).

Whether Navy Seals should attempt to capture OBL alive - at potentially greater risk to their own lives - is a different issue. Personally, my opinion is that they shouldn't. It's not worth it.

Killing is sometimes justified. Torture never is.

How pathetic. You didn't answer my question.

You questions are semantically unintelligible (not to mention grammatically incorrect). If you think I didn't answer them, try rephrasing them in a way that makes it clear what you're trying to ask.

Whether we should torture people is one issue (the answer is no, we should not).

Whether Navy Seals should attempt to capture OBL alive - at potentially greater risk to their own lives - is a different issue. Personally, my opinion is that they shouldn't. It's not worth it.

You questions are semantically unintelligible (not to mention grammatically incorrect). If you think I didn't answer them, try rephrasing them in a way that makes it clear what you're trying to ask.

For example: torture is not a "methodology". A technique, maybe. A crime, certainly.

OBL was not shot/killed to take any "policy issue" off the table. He was killed because they decided trying to take him alive wasn't worth incurring additional risks to the mission, or to the lives of the soldiers who were performing it.

There is no "message" involved in any of this. That there's some message involved is purely a confabulation of your own mind (or of the mind of whatever talk show host you're parroting.)

Obama recently in Asia said that water boarding is still considered torture. So, if we captured the scum OBL we would not have used this methodology? So we shot/killed him to take this Obama policy issue off the table? I'm struggling to understand this inconsistency in message!?

You guys still can't stand osama was killed under Obama's watch, can you?

I actually give the President BIG kudos and a job well done in making the decision to take Bin Laden out.. it was a tough decision but the right one.

You questions me? You idiot! (grammatically speaking of course)

killing someone puts them out of their misery.
Waterboarding them scares the heck out of them.

Hope that clears things up.

No not quite. Water boarding can yield useful information. I wonder how the Obama policy would've played out if he was captured.

Water boarding only yields what you want to hear. It is useless for reliable information. PLUS, it created thousands of terrorists.

"I think that without a doubt, torture and enhanced interrogation techniques slowed down the hunt for bin Laden," said an Air Force interrogator who goes by the pseudonym Matthew Alexander and located Abu Musab al-Zarqawi, the leader of al Qaeda in Iraq, in 2006.

In a 2006 study by the National Defense Intelligence College, trained interrogators found that traditional, rapport-based interviewing approaches are extremely effective with even the most hardened detainees, whereas coercion consistently builds resistance and resentment.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
AN INTERROGATOR SPEAKS
I'm Still Tortured by What I Saw in Iraq

By Matthew Alexander

I learned in Iraq that the No. 1 reason foreign fighters flocked there to fight were the abuses carried out at Abu Ghraib and Guantanamo. Our policy of torture was directly and swiftly recruiting fighters for al-Qaeda in Iraq. The large majority of suicide bombings in Iraq are still carried out by these foreigners. They are also involved in most of the attacks on U.S. and coalition forces in Iraq. It's no exaggeration to say that at least half of our losses and casualties in that country have come at the hands of foreigners who joined the fray because of our program of detainee abuse. The number of U.S. soldiers who have died because of our torture policy will never be definitively known, but it is fair to say that it is close to the number of lives lost on Sept. 11, 2001. How anyone can say that torture keeps Americans safe is beyond me -- unless you don't count American soldiers as Americans.

Waterboarding IS torture.

Waterboarding - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Wanna know why Cheney and Jr. said it was "effective"? They were getting people to confess that Saddam was a major player in 9/11, when it is now known that he wasn't.

Incidentally, Pol Pot used the same interrogation technique to get signed FALSE confessions.

are you on the medical marihuana ???

If they're lucky, the U.S. version of water boarding is all the technique they'll get.

Torture does not yield reliable information. That's why it's not admissible in court. Because information obtained through torture is not reliable.

Enhanced interrogation is not torture and information derived from interogations can and is admissable in a court of law.

Torture is subjective, do you consider having someone stripped naked, placed in a cell with temperatures in the 50's and doused with water ever so often torture? How about making someone stand for long periods of time depriving them of sleep and food, is that torture?

What about any of these methods that our military uses:

1.Yelling
2.Loud music, and light control
3.Environmental manipulation
4.Sleep deprivation/adjustment
5.Stress positions
6.20-hour interrogations
7.Controlled fear (muzzled dogs)

Is any one of these torture?

YES to all of them.

Forum List

Back