Help me please

Semper Fi

VIP Member
Nov 25, 2003
Wisconsin
I believe I have a virus. Every few minutes when Im connected to the internet, a small box appears on the bottom left corner of my screen. It says Symantec and scanning message 1 of 1, and it has a bar that fills up with the percentage thing. Im running Norton Antivirus and its not doing much. Anybody have any ideas? Any experience with this? Anything? Thanks.

It may or may not be. Not enough info yet. First thing is make sure Norton Antivirus is fully updated with the lastest virus definitions, then do a full scan of the system. Let me know the results of that.

I dowbloaded a Spyware doctor and removed about 400 infected files from my computer. Symantec is the company that makes Norton, correct? I talked to a friend of mine, says he has the same thing. I guess it scans for viruses as it goes. After removing the infected files, the box was still there every few minutes. I got all the spyware off, so Im content.

Do download and run these two additional program Jim suggested, even though spyware doctor says all the spyware is gone, does not mean it is so ! It sounds like there is still something lurking in there. We have EXTENSIVELY tested all of the major anti-spyware products in our lab and NOT ONE was able to detect and remove ALL the spyware we infected the test systems with. We had to run a combination of the 3 top products in order to get rid of everything !

I agree, download both SpyBot Search & Destroy and Adaware. Between those 2 programs, you'll be safe.

Tip for Spybot, after you scan and remove spyware, make sure you Immunize your machine, it's on the main screen of Spybot. This places bogus files in your machine so that the next time a malicious site checks you out, it will see the bogus files and not bother with 'reinfecting' your machine again. It's pretty slick.

They're both free, and the best I've come across yet. Never heard of the program you downloaded, Semper.

You have to be careful, there's many programs claiming to be 'spyware removers' and yet have nasty spyware built into them.

Are you running Norton 2004? My mom bought that one and I couldn't get that damn thing to work. I fought it for several hours, and finally went online to see if anyone else was having issues with it, and there were hundreds of people having the same problems as I was. Guess Norton '04 is a real dog.

Took it back and downloaded AVG for free, problem solved.

*shakes fist* I HATE AD/SPYWARE!! rRRRR!

im having similar problems, gonna try the links jimny provided. thanks man!

Forum List

Back