Help me on my higher studies problem.

Kieth

Rookie
Nov 25, 2008
Hi everyone, I have been wondering about the procedures that could help me to gain admission in the top colleges of US. Actually, I am about to complete my studies in Bombay and need to plan for my further studies abroad …. in US. I have been told about SAT tests and applications I need but I would like to know more and in detail about the procedure to take admission there. Help me please to get all information about it.

1) Make a list of the colleges you're interested in.

2) Go to the their website.

3) "Prospective Students" page (that's what it's usually called)

4) Somewhere there it'll say requirements or such.

5) Try looking for the International Student section especially.

And I'd suggest that you don't get too many hopes up unless you can afford the ~$50,000 a year that most good ones ask for. Financial Aid is pretty scarce (a million times scarcer for us internationals) unless you get into the Ivies (Harvard, Yale, Princeton, etc.). Even the public ones run around ~$15,000 and they're not very good. I'd suggest looking at Canadian ones in that case (they're better and a little cheaper).

Most likely, they're gonna ask for your school to send your grades, along with a couple of reference letters, your SAT scores, most likely the TOEFL, and the really good ones ask you to fill out all forms of fancy applications, with essays and surveys and whatnot. They'll ask you about all your finances and stuff, and you gotta get your institution to mail everything they can, though a lot of it can be done online (There's one thing that most of the colleges used called the "Common Application", it has it's own website and everything, so you could go look around for that). And once you're in you have to worry about all sorts of immigration things. For Canadian ones, all you have to do is pretty much send in your grades, though, and the TOEFL [test of english as a foreign language].

Though now that'll be too late. You'll probably have to wait until next fall when the admission process starts up again.

(I'm assuming you meant undergraduate, because you mentioned the SAT. If you're talking about graduate then it's basically the same as I just said, except the prices are going to be higher, and what you need to take is the GRE or some such thing)

Colleges also look for things that make the student unique and well rounded.

Extra curricular activities, sports, playing music, singing in a choir, interesting personal life's experiences, unique skills and hobbies...an interesting life story.

Anything that makes you stand out from the crowd helps a lot.

Oh, and write a college composition that is NOT boring or predictable, too.

If your college application composition is amusing enough to make the people who are reading it remember you positively, that is going to help trmendously.

They're reading hundreds of compositions a day, so if you can give them five minutes of interesting reading your ARE going to get tossed into the " let's take a second look at this one" pile.

Last edited:
This is not a very big problem considering the scenario today. You will get lots of information about the studies in US. There are SAT and ACT exams conducted there which are considered for the entrance to colleges. My cousin, who was from Delhi went to US for her higher education and she really prepared hard to take admission there and she also got a great help from the guide link. I would recommend the same sources for you to get prepared. The people who wrote it were admissions officers at an Ivy League school in America.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back