CDZ Help me list forms of welfare

Toronado3800

Gold Member
Nov 15, 2009
I'm not even interested in if they are good or bad. I just want a list so I can go google em all.

I'll start with historical ones which should not be controversial:

-The land grants to the transcontinental and other railroads

-Corps of engineers dredging projects to help the barges

-Food stamps

-Unemployment

-Private Bankruptcy

-Corporate Bankruptcy (another whole level of government aid above private bankruptcy)

-WIC (Wik? The good food for free for your kids program)

You forgot...
  1. State and local subsidies to corporations
  2. Direct federal subsidies to corporations
  3. Federal tax breaks for corporations
  4. Subsidies to the fast food industry
  5. The fact that huge corporations that engage in criminal or other wrongful activities protect their leaders from being prosecuted by paying huge fees or fines to the government.

Last edited:
-Every military base in Europe.

-Continued development of weapons systems that no Generals have asked for or want.

-Corporation for Public Broadcasting.

-Ad Council.

-National Endowments of the Arts and Humanities.

-TSA and DEA.

I'm not even interested in if they are good or bad. I just want a list so I can go google em all.

-Food stamps

-Unemployment

-Private Bankruptcy

-Corporate Bankruptcy (another whole level of government aid above private bankruptcy)

How are bankruptcies welfare? Are you under the impression that the government pays off creditors or something?

-Food stamps

-Unemployment

-Private Bankruptcy

How are bankruptcies welfare? Are you under the impression that the government pays off creditors or something?
It's more indirect than that. It is, in effect, the government saying, "You have too much debt, so your creditors can no longer collect." To one extent or another. Those creditors then, having taken a loss at the behest of the government, raise prices for other customers. Thus, a transfer of wealth from one group of individuals to another. The creditors simply are a proxy for the government.

So, yeah, the argument could be made that bankruptcy is welfare. For the record, I wouldn't count it as welfare per se. I'm just saying that one COULD, and I have laid out the argument.

-Food stamps

-Unemployment

-Private Bankruptcy

Indirectly through tax deductions.

Bankruptcies are also the government using their full power to keep creditors from coming and taking the food out of our mouths for payment.

Not to mention corporate bankruptcies. One of your government created corporations goes bankrupt and neither you nor your other corporations have to pay your debts?

I detect lots of disagreement about what welfare is!

Perhaps I do need a different word. I still want a negative connotation though.

Government aid?

Government support?

Given what I listed what do you think a good term is so folks understand?

-Food stamps

-Unemployment

-Private Bankruptcy

Why does it matter? Our welfare clause is General and must cover Any contingency.

-Food stamps

-Unemployment

-Private Bankruptcy

Why does it matter? Our welfare clause is General and must cover Any contingency.

It matters as a hypocrisy check.

Can't have folks on food stamps ripping farmers for accepting their "Trump-aid". Can't have farmers in line for their "Trump-aid" ridiculing the land given to the Union Pacific back during the transcontinental run.

I detect lots of disagreement about what welfare is!

Perhaps I do need a different word. I still want a negative connotation though.

Government aid?

Government support?

Given what I listed what do you think a good term is so folks understand?
Public assistance constitutes a miniscule percent of overall government support.

The great bulk of government aid goes to corporate entities and private business – the GOP tax scam being one of the more recent examples.

well the funny thing about welfare is generally it is applied to helping the poor or people living in poverty as defined by the government

The below link list over 600 welfare benefits run by the various states but receives government funds under TANF

US Welfare System - Benefit Finder and Statistics

I have been a firm believer that other programs such has bankruptcy, farm and any subsidizes, tax breaks, and even government perks are a form of welfare but they use different names for it.

I guess when individual, businesses, government employees are given breaks that it is rubbing it in and will hurt their feeling when you say its welfare

since welfare is 7 letter dirty word that nobody want to hear especially if you don't consider yourself poor but will take that government hand out

Forum List

Back