Help! I'm Drowning in Ads!

It is like that our website is supported by ads it allows to visit here in exchange for financial support, but one of the spaces being used takes up space where you used to could see the name of the thread, but now, the ads have multiplied in size to where you can't even see what thread you are own. Can't that space be returned to the convenience of senior posters who are on a fixed income and can't afford ad blockers and don't want to give away personal information to "free" ad blockers who might share or be hacked to produce extra mail to sift through for me. Some of the links take you to a screen blacked out that says "to see full article, 'sign up!'" When you do that, they start flooding and I do mean flooding your mailbox with up to 30 a day advertisements. I accidently said "ok" 2 or 3 times, and my mail is over 100 pieces of garbage per diem, and I can't even use it anymore. Some of them do not give you the message "if you want to stop seeing these ads, click here". I had no idea that "signing in" left you open to invasion of privacy, peace of mind, and my entire communication system is plugged. Needless to mention, three of them put sliding crap in my lower right corner, which interferes with this website and others, where they have tracked me down because they now know every where you go, each and every item you purchase, and everyone you talk to and on and on. If you buy a vitamin on Amazon, for example, the ads everywhere share information until you wish vitamins weren't such an important part of human health needs.

If I could just see the name of the thread again instead of "bowling balls, billiards, laser tags, arcade games, and more" with a map with a red arrow on it in a city I looked up 3 or 4 days ago. They even know maps and locations you request directions to if you use an interactive map! Barf!

Please restore where you are information so it will not disturb our not-so-gentle advertisers' larger, larger, and even larger advertisements every time I come here. If I don't know the name of the thread, once in a while a post gets placed in the wrong thread, all because an advertiser think it is more important to sell his product than for USMB posters to know what thread they are reading and trying to answer other posters. Thanks.

Opera mini

Jo

That's like 5 years ago

Works like Magic just started using it today

It is like that our website is supported by ads it allows to visit here in exchange for financial support, but one of the spaces being used takes up space where you used to could see the name of the thread, but now, the ads have multiplied in size to where you can't even see what thread you are own. Can't that space be returned to the convenience of senior posters who are on a fixed income and can't afford ad blockers and don't want to give away personal information to "free" ad blockers who might share or be hacked to produce extra mail to sift through for me. Some of the links take you to a screen blacked out that says "to see full article, 'sign up!'" When you do that, they start flooding and I do mean flooding your mailbox with up to 30 a day advertisements. I accidently said "ok" 2 or 3 times, and my mail is over 100 pieces of garbage per diem, and I can't even use it anymore. Some of them do not give you the message "if you want to stop seeing these ads, click here". I had no idea that "signing in" left you open to invasion of privacy, peace of mind, and my entire communication system is plugged. Needless to mention, three of them put sliding crap in my lower right corner, which interferes with this website and others, where they have tracked me down because they now know every where you go, each and every item you purchase, and everyone you talk to and on and on. If you buy a vitamin on Amazon, for example, the ads everywhere share information until you wish vitamins weren't such an important part of human health needs.

If I could just see the name of the thread again instead of "bowling balls, billiards, laser tags, arcade games, and more" with a map with a red arrow on it in a city I looked up 3 or 4 days ago. They even know maps and locations you request directions to if you use an interactive map! Barf!

Please restore where you are information so it will not disturb our not-so-gentle advertisers' larger, larger, and even larger advertisements every time I come here. If I don't know the name of the thread, once in a while a post gets placed in the wrong thread, all because an advertiser think it is more important to sell his product than for USMB posters to know what thread they are reading and trying to answer other posters. Thanks.

Opera mini

Jo

That's like 5 years ago

It's back and better?

Opera mini

Jo

That's like 5 years ago

It's back and better?
I'll give you the link

Opera mini

Jo

That's like 5 years ago

It's back and better?

upload_2019-11-20_0-54-28.pnghttps://m.apkpure.com › download
Web results
Downloading Opera Mini fast web browser_v44.1.2254 ... - APKPure.com

Opera Mini Android latest 44.1.2254.143214 APK Download and Install. Fast, lightweight browser with data saving, ad blocking

Opera mini

Jo

That's like 5 years ago

It's back and better?
Yep!

Forum Administrators have control over specific ad behavior and ad positioning. And there's always even more forum software ad-ons over on the XenForo community resources web site to further tweak/block/reposition rude behaving ads, etc. The XenForo forum software is no different than vBulletin forum software Admin ad controls in this regard.

Whether an Admin knows how to use it or have any desire to do so is quite another question entirely. Respectfully speaking.

Last edited:
Get a real PC and Win 7 with Firefox and a couple of their add-ons is all you need. There is more stuff coming out for Android but it's a poor substitute for a Win 7 box or a Linux box.

And, not all of those ads may be originating from here; some or many may be coming from you ISP or wifi services, built into your tablet or I-phone company.

Can't that space be returned to the convenience of senior posters who are on a fixed income and can't afford ad blockers and don't want to give away personal information to "free" ad blockers who might share or be hacked to produce extra mail to sift through for me.

Ublock origin is what you want. It does not collect information or generate revenue. It's an open source, virtually humanitarian project.

Adblock Plus | The world's # 1 free ad blocker

Almost every new thread I get them on my android....They don't bother me, I just close them....one constantly at the top, others continue to pop up after 15 seconds at the bottom, and full page ones whenever I change threads....Hey, if it helps finance the website, I can live with the inconvenience of closing them
I generally use Chrome on my android phone, but when the ads start to annoy me, I use the ad blocker browser and I don't get the ads anymore.

I really need to switch over completely on this site

Forum List

Back