Help For FL!

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
Red Cross is good for this type of disaster, but here is a site you might find of use. One thing I've noticed from blogging, some of the best support is found on the web-from shoes and glasses for Afghanistan to toys for Iraq. In most cases all is at 100% donations, as Fed EX throws in the shipping:

http://www.strengthenthegood.com/

Kathianne said:
Red Cross is good for this type of disaster, but here is a site you might find of use. One thing I've noticed from blogging, some of the best support is found on the web-from shoes and glasses for Afghanistan to toys for Iraq. In most cases all is at 100% donations, as Fed EX throws in the shipping:

http://www.strengthenthegood.com/

Do they accept donations? From what I have seen on the news,they are really pushing for cash.

krisy said:
Do they accept donations? From what I have seen on the news,they are really pushing for cash.

There's a multi-choice here. Check it out. Personally, I sent $10 to Red Cross, but I suppose it's what each feels best about.

I was glad to see the link to the site in this forum. I just launched the site today, and yes, there are a number of resources already listed where you can help folks in Florida.

Ultimately ... meaning in the next day or two ... I'll be posting information about a single "micro-charity" in the affected area--a small, inspiring charity, one with a real face and where $1 makes a difference--that people can support. So keep checking in.

Finally, we'll be profiling a new micro-charity every three weeks. If you'd like to join the announcement list ... espeically if your a blogger who could link to the post for each charity ... you may do so here:

http://strengthenthegood.com/list/?p=subscribe&id=1

Thanks again.

Alan said:
I was glad to see the link to the site in this forum. I just launched the site today, and yes, there are a number of resources already listed where you can help folks in Florida.

Ultimately ... meaning in the next day or two ... I'll be posting information about a single "micro-charity" in the affected area--a small, inspiring charity, one with a real face and where $1 makes a difference--that people can support. So keep checking in.

Finally, we'll be profiling a new micro-charity every three weeks. If you'd like to join the announcement list ... espeically if your a blogger who could link to the post for each charity ... you may do so here:

http://strengthenthegood.com/list/?p=subscribe&id=1

Thanks again.

I have been so impressed with the fundraising and goodwill put out by bloggers!

I'll bet the Civil Air Patrol will provide Disaster Relief (one of the pillars of their Mission) to Floridian residents. Here in Alaska, we dont get much of that.

FEMA sure has been doing a FANTASTIC job in helping all the people of Punta Gorda. My Dad said they came in and talked to him, got all his information, and meeting with him this morning. They are taking care of a generator, so atleast they can get some air and some lights going in a neighbors home that didn't take much a beating. Just too bad it couldn't work with the water, must be a tough thing to try and wash up with a bottle of water. There has been an overwhelming amount of help. Yesterday, a man, who's home was leveled in Port Charlotte, got some friends together, and his truck riding down further South to gather goods needed for families. He pulled into Windmill Village where my Dad lived and opened up the trailer, here he had, water, food, grills, you name it. They approached my Dad and handed out things and all sat down to some food. It appeared that Albertson's had donated most of the goods and my Dad wanted it to be known on all the good they did. I emailed Albertson's thanking them for the donations and the good they did that day, but I wish I could thank the man that might have lost his home, but still went out to help others in need, this is what it's all about, coming together and helping one another.

That was enough to make me cry. I read some folks from GA drove down to help out, they felt like they 'needed' to. My folks liked Albertson's when they were living down there-that's great to hear!

Kathianne said:
That was enough to make me cry. I read some folks from GA drove down to help out, they felt like they 'needed' to. My folks liked Albertson's when they were living down there-that's great to hear!

Yeah, hearing the story choked me up!

I never heard of Albertson's before this, but they score high in my book. I think they do have a store in NJ too! haha! I never knew that. It is great to see how some can go out of their way to help. My Dad has a picture of the man that came in there, he was a young guy, I would love to have that picture and give it to the local paper there and acknowledge what he did for them.

Yeah, Punta Gorda's being well taken care of, as of Saturday anyway. We had people all the way up from Miami bringing in food and stuff. It's nice to see there's still a lot of good people in this world!

Forum List

Back