Help...Decent Gaming PC

Windows XP I am guessing? Malwarebytes is very effective... if it does not show up there then it is most likely gone. You could try Spybot Search and Destroy

The home of Spybot-S&D!

to see if that finds anything.

I just had a nasty one on a customers laptop.. he clicked yes when he should have clicked no. The bugger had made a fake Flash download thingy.. Any ways I got rid of the rootkit virus, but by then it had removed critical services.. like the Windows Firewall.. Thank god for the restore function in Windows 7 :)

So far I've had her laptop, desktop and my laptop hit with a virus, Malwarebytes missed them all but Avast found and removed them from the bootlog on the laptops (Win 7) but not the desktop (XP).

Wtf are you and your wife surfing lol! Not had a virus for years!.. well I did get one, but that was my own fault and deliberate :)

Malwarebytes is not an anti-virus, it is a malware/spyware remover.

You could try Kaspersky Lab United States | Antivirus Computer Security .. it is at the moment the best anti-virus program out there. It is one of the few that can see Zeus and other nasty new virus that are designed throw you to fake sites to steal your info. I put it on my parents PCs since I dont trust them not clicking yes when they should click no.. Kaspersky has a 30 day trial... fully functional.

I assume she picked it up from some job hunting site or received it in an e-mail from spammers who mine those sites and send out infected "job available" e-mails then she must have forwarded it to me. :dunno:

Oh she already knows when I move her to Win 7 OE is permanently gone, I've made that perfectly clear.
And yes, she's getting Thunderbird.

Thunderbird?

:doubt:

Hey it is better than many other products... of course you could just punt her mails to a GMail account and let her use that instead.. :)

It's not a bad mail system, but you've some work to recourse if you wish to transition to another mail system.

Oh she already knows when I move her to Win 7 OE is permanently gone, I've made that perfectly clear.
And yes, she's getting Thunderbird.

Thunderbird?

Hey it is better than many other products... of course you could just punt her mails to a GMail account and let her use that instead.. :)

She has Gmail and I'm considering that route though I use, and like, Thunderbird. I like my stuff on my computer not floating around somewhere on some nebulous server.

Thunderbird?

She has Gmail and I'm considering that route though I use, and like, Thunderbird. I like my stuff on my computer not floating around somewhere on some nebulous server.

Government_Cloud_226.jpg

I use Outlook. If I want to move from Outlook to Thunderbird then it is a simple transition.

Those with Thunderbird and who want to transition to Outlook? The last time I performed this transition I found it rather time consuming. That might have changed by now since that was a couple of years ago though.

Government_Cloud_226.jpg

I use Outlook. If I want to move from Outlook to Thunderbird then it is a simple transition.

Those with Thunderbird and who want to transition to Outlook? The last time I performed this transition I found it rather time consuming. That might have changed by now since that was a couple of years ago though.

She does have Office 2010 I'm gonna put on there so she'll have Outlook if she wants it but I find Thunderbird is much more secure, my desktop didn't get any of the viruses because Thunderbird blocked the emails.

Last edited:

Government_Cloud_226.jpg

She does have Office 2010 I'm gonna put on there so she'll have Outlook if she wants it but I find Thunderbird is much more secure, my desktop didn't get any of the viruses because Thunderbird blocked the emails.

Whatever works for her. You might want to check to see if there's an easier export path from Thunderbird to Outlook now.

I rely on NOD32 and Malwarebytes Antimalware and haven't been harmed since I transitioned to a 64bit OS. I re-install my image every six months in order to keep the SSD speedy.

Hey guys, off subject but just discovered my wife's desktop has be loBOTomized. :mad:
Ran Stinger, Malwarebytes and Avast but they found nothing. Note: last week Avast found and deleted one from the bootlog.
Backed up, copied her e-mail to a thumb drive and scanned it via my system and found two redirects in there, they're gone. Currently running avast on her's in safe mode, but It looks like I might be wiping that drive and loading Win 7 on it, been looking for an excuse to do it. :D

Windows XP I am guessing? Malwarebytes is very effective... if it does not show up there then it is most likely gone. You could try Spybot Search and Destroy

The home of Spybot-S&D!

to see if that finds anything.

I just had a nasty one on a customers laptop.. he clicked yes when he should have clicked no. The bugger had made a fake Flash download thingy.. Any ways I got rid of the rootkit virus, but by then it had removed critical services.. like the Windows Firewall.. Thank god for the restore function in Windows 7 :)

So far I've had her laptop, desktop and my laptop hit with a virus, Malwarebytes missed them all but Avast found and removed them from the bootlog on the laptops (Win 7) but not the desktop (XP).

Have you used combofix?

ComboFix | freeware

It's pretty good.

Edit:

Clarification:

Combofix works pretty good with your Windows XP 32bit system.

Last edited:
Government_Cloud_226.jpg

Whatever works for her. You might want to check to see if there's an easier export path from Thunderbird to Outlook now.

I rely on NOD32 and Malwarebytes Antimalware and haven't been harmed since I transitioned to a 64bit OS. I re-install my image every six months in order to keep the SSD speedy.

I just talked it over with her, she wants Outlook because of this (hopefully) upcoming job, it's one of the Office products she's going to have to use.

I just talked it over with her, she wants Outlook because of this (hopefully) upcoming job, it's one of the Office products she's going to have to use.

Yes!

Well, I didn't like the length of transition time when a friend decided they wanted to use Outlook.

:redface:

Government_Cloud_226.jpg

Just so you know, the life expectancy of your SSD is then cut...

Just so you know, the life expectancy of your SSD is then cut...

Yes. I'll be moving on long before that becomes an issue. All of my personal data writes including desktop, etc. are set to a RAID 0 platter group.

New Topics

Forum List

Back