Help Connection Interruption during online gaming

Trinity

VIP Member
Jun 16, 2004
My husband Plays Delta Force online and he keeps getting a connection interruption about every minute or so that lasts for about 10 seconds. I can not figure out why I have tried diffrent settings on the modem. diffrent settings on the game and still have the same problem. He has recently downloaded a expansion pack with diffrent maps for the game and he is also using a team chat called ventrilla? I am thinking the problem lies with one of those 2 downloads however he swears it's my Sims 2 game even though it is not running. Go figure. I have turned off everything when he is playing except delta force, systray, and explorer, still the same problem. We are running windows ME. Any help would be greatly appreciated ASAP! before i have to :blowup: his ass up.

Go to a command prompt and type this in:

ping hostaddress -t

*replace host address with the server name/IP of the game*

Post the results here after letting it run a few minutes. Try this one as well:

tracert hostaddress

Post these results as well, this will indicate if there is a problem along the way at a particular hop reaching the site.

jimnyc said:
Go to a command prompt and type this in:

ping hostaddress -t

*replace host address with the server name/IP of the game*

Post the results here after letting it run a few minutes. Try this one as well:

tracert hostaddress

Post these results as well, this will indicate if there is a problem along the way at a particular hop reaching the site.

Ok could you be a little more specific please im not that computer literate

khafley said:
Ok could you be a little more specific please im not that computer literate

Ok never mind i figured out what you were saying.

however he doesnt have a specific ip address i dont think because they are changing the games all the time. Diffrent people host them. does that make sense

khafley said:
Ok never mind i figured out what you were saying.

however he doesnt have a specific ip address i dont think because they are changing the games all the time. Diffrent people host them. does that make sense

And it happens no matter what address he connects to? What operating system are you running? Any firewall software or automatic email checkers that may be running in services? Is there anything that runs in your taskbar that may be running while he is playing? What type of modem are you connecting with?

I know that's a lot but it'll help in troubleshooting. Did this problem ever occur before he started with the chat software? Can he try without using that software?

Enough for now :)

jimnyc said:
And it happens no matter what address he connects to? What operating system are you running? Any firewall software or automatic email checkers that may be running in services? Is there anything that runs in your taskbar that may be running while he is playing? What type of modem are you connecting with?

I know that's a lot but it'll help in troubleshooting. Did this problem ever occur before he started with the chat software? Can he try without using that software?

Enough for now :)

1.doesn't matter what ip address it happens on all of them.

2.windows ME I know it sucks

3. No i havent installed any firewalls i turn off everthing the only thing that he has running is the delta force game, systray, and explorer

4. the modem is U.S. Robotics V.92 Fax Win Int

5. no before he downloaded the expansion pack and the ventrilla chat he did not have any problems he downloaded both of them about the same time. then I installed sims2 right after he got done installing his, and he swears thats the problem.

OS Name Microsoft Windows
Version 4.90.3000 Build 3000
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name I0D6P1
System Manufacturer ECS
System Model K7S5A
System Type X86-based PC
Processor AMD Athlon(tm) Processor AuthenticAMD ~1095 Mhz
BIOS Version Version 1.00
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM
Boot Device \\Device\Harddisk0
Locale United States
Time Zone Eastern Daylight Time
Total Physical Memory 255.45 MB
Available Physical Memory 49.57 MB
Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory 1.71 GB
Page File Space 1.75 GB
Page File C:\WINDOWS\WIN386.SWP

does this help any?

khafley said:
1.doesn't matter what ip address it happens on all of them.

2.windows ME I know it sucks

3. No i havent installed any firewalls i turn off everthing the only thing that he has running is the delta force game, systray, and explorer

4. the modem is U.S. Robotics V.92 Fax Win Int

5. no before he downloaded the expansion pack and the ventrilla chat he did not have any problems he downloaded both of them about the same time. then I installed sims2 right after he got done installing his, and he swears thats the problem.

Is it possible for him to run the game temporarily without the 2 add-ons? Or maybe uninstall them to see if the problem still exists or not? I doubt it would be Sims causing the issue. There's nothing that should be running from that game unless you are currently playing. You can always edit the startup group to make sure nothing unneccesary is loading on bootup.

Go to START, then RUN and type in MSCONFIG

Go to the startup tab and uncheck anything you don't want to load on bootup. If there were any services installed after a game install they would likely show up here. If you do remove anything, make sure you reboot afterwards.

Here's a site he may want to go to for assistance from other Delta Force users. Maybe one of them will know if the expansions can cause this issue.

http://forums.jolt.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?forumid=112

khafley said:
does this help any?

A gigahertz processor and 256Mb of RAM 'should' be enough for Delta Force online play. The bottleneck will definitely come with the 56k modem. A memory increase to 512 wouldn't hurt.

Also, what video card and how much memory does it have? Maybe it's lagging because it can't render the picture quick enough. Also couldn't hurt to look into a software update from the manafacturer.

Any chance of broadband where you live? :)

jimnyc said:
A gigahertz processor and 256Mb of RAM 'should' be enough for Delta Force online play. The bottleneck will definitely come with the 56k modem. A memory increase to 512 wouldn't hurt.

Also, what video card and how much memory does it have? Maybe it's lagging because it can't render the picture quick enough. Also couldn't hurt to look into a software update from the manafacturer.

Any chance of broadband where you live? :)

The video card is a 3D blaster TNT2 ultra I just recently downloaded the newest driver for that. I think it only has like 32 mb of memory i think i'm going to take the ge force off the other computer and put on this one it has 64 mb on it.

Broadband yeah maybe in 10 years if were lucky. I have been pushing for it hard, but we are so rural I don't see it happening any sooner. I guess that's the price you pay for peace and quiet.

my diagnosis is the ventrilla. chat programs, especially on a dial up modem, have big issue with how they transmit and receive data.

Heres an update I went into MSCONFIG ....... turned off everything but system tray, scan registry and the modem. got online went into a delta force game and got my ass shot off several times, however I did not get any connection interruptions and I think i might have actually killed someone, jeez I do not get the whole shoot em up thing, I guess it's a guy thing. hopefully the problem is fixed won't know for sure till tomorrow when he gets on to play. If it's not fixed, as Arnold says.....................I'll be back.

Thanks for the help Guy's I appreciate it!!!!

Forum List

Back