Helmets

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh
As a frequent traveler to Europe, and a bicyle and motorcycle enthusiast, I've noticed a couple unexpected things about their (the Europeans') views on two-wheeled safety.

The Germans (including Austrians and Beneluxians) are positively neurotic about motorcycle safety gear. Normally, they wear full leather gear (pants, jacket, gloves), heavy boots, and full-face helmets when riding, even in summer. But most don't even wear a helmet while riding a motor-scooter, and almost none of them wear helmets when riding a bike.

This last factoid is particularly striking when you consider the massive bicycle usage in Western Europe. Relative to the U.S. they have many, many more bikes on the road, and have immeasurably more passenger miles of collective experience than Americans. Indeed, they actually use their bikes to commute to work and conduct all of their daily personal transport, particularly in cities like Copenhagen and Amsterdam. And they've concluded that a bicycle helmet is not necessary.

And I think I agree with them.

And they've concluded that a bicycle helmet is not necessary.
And I imagine that in Copenhagen and Amsterdam a bicycle helmet is less necessary than in places less set up and suitable for bicycle commuting.

I've cracked the polystyrene in one, so far.

No doubt, those European cities are more friendly to bicycling (more hazardous to pedestrians, BTW), but still, for people who ride extensively, 12 months per year, it is striking that they don't feel helmets are necessary.

Forum List

Back