Hello

byhisello99

Rookie
May 8, 2015
My name has its origins in my investing history: Buy High, Sell Low.

Brand new. I'm a traditional liberal and a former Democrat, never a Republican. I left the Democratic Party when it abandoned liberalism in favor of statism. Former smokers are hardest on current smokers. I am death on statist Democrats.

It's the statism, not the party affiliation. We fought a revolution almost 250 years ago to overturn a system in which the people belonged to the state, substituting a system wherein the state belonged to the people. Statists would have us return to the state owing nothing to the people, but the people owing everything to the state.

Welcome.

Nice to see the phrase traditional or classical liberal dusted off and trotted out every now and then.

We certainly have wandered far from our roots.

[American Conservatism: An Encyclopedia , 2006]

"Classical liberalism" is the term used to designate the ideology advocating private property, an unhampered market economy, the rule of law, constitutional guarantees of freedom of religion and of the press, and international peace based on free trade. Up until around 1900, this ideology was generally known simply as liberalism. The qualifying "classical" is now usually necessary, in English-speaking countries at least (but not, for instance, in France), because liberalism has come to be associated with wide-ranging interferences with private property and the market on behalf of egalitarian goals. This version of liberalism — if such it can still be called — is sometimes designated as "social," or (erroneously) "modern" or the "new," liberalism."

I'm a traditional liberal and a former Democrat, never a Republican.

Another Libertarian who would find himself at home in the current GOP that has adopted the libertarian agenda.

You should find plenty of like minded people here.

Welcome.

Giving a shot at this forum because I am completely fed up with INTJ Forum. It's principally for Meyers Briggs INTJ type. Without writing a dissertation, INTJs are among the rarest and smartest of the sixteen types. We make decisions based on reason rather than emotion. We tend to develop few close relationships. And those are the good points.

In nearly every sub-forum we engage in reasoned discourse. In the Politics/Current Events sub-forum a coterie of jihadist missionaries for the One And Only True Church of Statism All Others Must Convert Or Die have made reasoned discourse impossible. Unsubstantiated assertions, misstatements of fact and ad hominem attacks abound.

Example: I recently posted that the bakery in Portland, OR, that refused to bake a wedding cake for a same-sex couple was subjected to excessive punishment. I can quote the sources for the calculation if you wish. A $135,000 fine for a retail bakery is a death sentence. This trivializes the very sorts of discrimination the laws were meant to defend against. If the most severe punishment available - commercial death - is meted out for refusing to bake a cake, what is the harsher penalty for refusing to rent an apartment to a same-sex couple? For refusing to make a mortgage loan to a same-sex couple? For refusing to hire homosexuals? For refusing homosexuals medical care? The bakery broke the law and should be punished. The punishment does not fit the crime and leaves no room for escalation for infractions with greater impact.

I'm accused of being a homophobe and a racist (figure that one out, I can't). Refusing to bake a cake is as serious an infraction as refusing medical care. There are actually worse examples of this rubbish.

No divergence from the orthodoxy of statism is permitted. The most important forms of diversity - diversity in thought and experience set - are not tolerated. I give up.

Brand new. I'm a traditional liberal and a former Democrat, never a Republican. I left the Democratic Party when it abandoned liberalism in favor of statism. Former smokers are hardest on current smokers. I am death on statist Democrats.

It's the statism, not the party affiliation. We fought a revolution almost 250 years ago to overturn a system in which the people belonged to the state, substituting a system wherein the state belonged to the people. Statists would have us return to the state owing nothing to the people, but the people owing everything to the state.

th

You sound like an interesting sort.......hope you stick around and become familiar with the rest of us here.

How high were you when you bought?

picgifs-welcome-3115022_zpsbkihnq69.gif

Forum List

Back