Hello strangers

therupture

Rookie
Oct 12, 2018
United States
Hello,

I come from the internet. You can call me marty and I work in the tech field. I am a leftist, I like to tinker with small portable computers, and think it's fun to try experimental software. Hoping to meet new netizens and have some interesting conversations.

Hello,

I come from the internet. You can call me marty and I work in the tech field. I am a leftist, I like to tinker with small portable computers, and think it's fun to try experimental software. Hoping to meet new netizens and have some interesting conversations.

Hi, what does experimental software do these days?

Just the other day at work I laughed at this website company that DID NOT use a Joomla style template for some reason. Our field is not very new, I can't believe the most efficient way for them to do things is to code.

I've been mostly looking at decentralized services and applications for social media, file sharing, and content creation. The space is very disjointed (of course) but it does have a nice 90's BBS feel to it all.

decentralized services....sounds like using a group of computers you don't necessarily own to run things.

Forgive me, I dabble but can't believe we need HTML and CSS

Currently, you're the stranger, not us.

That situation is subject to change, depending on you.

enjoy your stay, steer clear of the dungeon until such time as the blacksmith has fitted you for appropriate armor.

Always a good idea to read the rules.

some of the mods are jerks

I've been mostly looking at decentralized services and applications for social media, file sharing, and content creation. The space is very disjointed (of course) but it does have a nice 90's BBS feel to it all.

decentralized services....sounds like using a group of computers you don't necessarily own to run things.

I've been looking at projects like dat (datproject) and scuttlebutt lately and they are services in which you maintain total control of your identity and data. It's decentralized in the sense that you don't have to go through a major website to communicate with others. Our devices can just connect directly on a peer to peer basis.

I have a soft spot for HTML and CSS. Kind of miss messing around with them to get a geocities site up.

I've been looking at projects like dat (datproject) and scuttlebutt lately and they are services in which you maintain total control of your identity and data. It's decentralized in the sense that you don't have to go through a major website to communicate with others. Our devices can just connect directly on a peer to peer basis.

I have a soft spot for HTML and CSS. Kind of miss messing around with them to get a geocities site up.

Neat projects then.

politically I'm pretty torn on this privacy of data thing. On one hand, I love small government. On the other I despise large corporations and their ability to abuse information. I'm sorta an old school internet hippie in a way using Mozilla and Duck Duck Go.

Hello,

Change your avatar, it’s making me dizzy. Now count how many “clever” folks say something about me being dizzy...

Exactly.. Nicely put.. LOL.

Neat projects then.

politically I'm pretty torn on this privacy of data thing. On one hand, I love small government. On the other I despise large corporations and their ability to abuse information. I'm sorta an old school internet hippie in a way using Mozilla and Duck Duck Go.
Please Hack me.

Hello,

Welcome, Marty! Hang around awhile and talk geek. Don't hack us, though, okay?
Have a donut (sorry, I can never resist the chocolate frosteds).
upload_2018-10-13_9-9-26.png

Welcome to the forum, Marty. Good to see another leftist!

Last edited:
Hello,

Welcome to USMB.

Forum List

Back